Blade Runner 2049

I'm almost willing to say, I'd be happy to sit though two hours, just to hear that music again. But I can watch the original and get that. We'll see, maybe it won't totally suck............. Yea right, lolololololol !

The best thing I can say about the trailer is that I don't see any red flags that made me think it might be disastrous. Even the musical soundtrack that blended into diegetic sounds seemed evocative of what Vangelis achieves while having its own character. They have my attention.

Blade Runner 2049: See Exclusive Photos From the Sequel

C0NWgVRUAAEc5uJ.jpg

Last edited:
The stills look like they were selected to be deliberately unrevealing and ambiguous.

Do we have any idea of what the plot might be?
Is it simply Gosling-Runner hunting down Rachel and Deckard?
I hope it doesn't end up as "let's take down evil Tyrell Corp together."

This is all we ave so far

"Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years."

This is all we ave so far

"Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years."
Excuse me while I facepalm.

Blade Runner was lyrical and memorable because dystopia was so well developed, oppressive and immutable. Characters were unforgettable and believable only because they were doomed to live there.

But when you charge the principle characters with saving humanity from dystopia it just becomes a dolled up version of Logan's Run (Hunger Games/Divergent/The Island (2005) etc.).

Way to go, Ridley (sarcasm). Geez.

I love Gosslings coat.

T-shirt doesn't bug me... it's timeless, and clearly from the scene where he's just lounging at home.

WAY to early to get negative...

I actually wasn't digging the coat as much as I thought it would. When someone inevitably starts manufacturing the coat I am likely just going to end up ordering another Deckard trench coat.

The later "orange"sequence looks off-world to me, possibly a terraformed planet,perhaps Mars??? It certainly has a dream like quality to it. An early script rumour years ago said they would explore the social nature of the replicant /human colonies, where the Earth rules did not apply,so it would make sense to see Deckard escaping there.
That fallen head "sculpture" (Prometheus anybody?) also seemed a nod towards that. The decaying nature of it suggests something has happened to the replicants. Given the Nexus Six were almost impossible to distinguish from people thirty years ago,decades more advances mean we are straying into Cylon/Westworld territory here. Did Tyrells death result in the collapse of replicant manufacture on Earth??? Though in those photos Gosling character does look very like a Fords/Deckard clone/replicant?
As has been said ,its a very odd choice for a trailer, earlier it looks set in winter streets , rather than the globally warmed atmosphere of the original LAPD city scape.That seems strangley off, unless in a post climate changed world weather, systems are completely messed up.
The problem with trailers these days is that they can give far too much away,and with so much on line analysis and observation , its all too easy to predict the screenplay. May be thats why this teaser is so "oblique"?
I'm not too worried as yet.Villeneuve did a brilliant piece of work with "Arrival", because I did not see how a viable screenplay could be generated from that novella, given the complex nature of it, but he did a hugely impressive job on it. Lets just hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Let's see... Deckard as Replicant. There was no ambiguity ever, in my opinion. He was just a guy in the PKD story, he was just a guy in the '82 movie. Ridley liked the notion that he was a Replicant, unwittingly being used to hunt other Replicants (never mind the point many have raised about it being stupid that a Replicant meant to hunt the superstrong, supersmart Nexus series wouldn't be on par with them), so he snuck little things into the film, like Deckard's eyeshine in that one shot, his collection of photos, etc. The unicorn Gaff left for him was a commentary, like the rest of his little sculptures. His matchstick Priapus was his way of saying he knew that despite Deckard's protestations, he had a hard-on for going after the fugitives. The unicorn was a commentary on Deckard hiding and helping and running off with Rachael -- chasing unicorns.

Wasn't until the Dicrector's Cut and later that Scott tied that into the whole Replicant slant he had, and made it mean Gaff knew what he had dreamed, a la Deckard telling Rachael about her own memories.

But most of the main cast were and are in the "Deckard's just a guy" camp. So I wonder how Ridley being involved in this film will skew things -- one way or the other.

Regarding the plot and the tiny, ambiguous thumbnail we have so far... We know the population on Earth at the time of the first film knew about Replicants -- them being an advertising point for the Off-World Colonies, after all. The ultra-advanced prototype Rachael, though, was probably a secret. Who knows what has happened in the three decades since Tyrell's and Sebatian's deaths (I hope Chew survived -- I wanna see James Hong show up again, darnit!). I can see possibilities, but have no data to pursue any. I can see Rachael's existence coming to light and it sparking a witch-hunt a la the Synths in Fallout 4 -- where innocent people are being accused of being androids and killed. I remain hopeful, though, due to the other names involved in this. Although...

Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson, who has previously worked with Villeneuve on Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival, will be composing the score to the sequel. According to Jóhannsson, the decision was made a long time ago. He praised composer Vangelis for his previous work, and that it will be "an enormous challenge of mythical proportion"

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, Vangelis seems to have gone into semi-retirement. On the other hand, I love the new music he composed for the 25th anniversary of BR, freshly inspired while remastering more of the original score. I liked the music in the teaser -- it was evocative, while not being exactly the same. If Johannsson can stay in the right mindset for the whole score, we might be on to something. *crosses fingers*

--Jonah

SRS had a wee-dram of something before uttering to journalist that Deck was a Rep:rolleyes

Yup. And Lucas is on record that he always intended Leia to be Luke's sister, except back when she wasn't. And that he always intended Vader to be Anakin, except back when he wasn't. And that it was always supposed to be six films, except back when it was nine, or earlier when it was twelve... Just because the film-maker is on record with declarative statements about the work doesn't mean much. All we have to go on is the work itself. I'm not terribly happy with the botch job Star Wars has evolved into in the years since 1980, but it's what there is until it gets remade however many years from now. And in this case, it's not just Ridley saying something in an interview -- he's reworked the film to more and more plainly convey that Deckard is a Replicant, in the face of all reason. *sigh* And just as Ghost-Hayden trumps the earlier version of Force Ghost Anakin, the Final Cut trumps the Director's Cut or Theatrical Cut as far as what determines the "true" version of the story. How that plays into the sequel, we have no idea yet.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back