Steve McQueen Died 35 Years Ago Today

:lol I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :lol

Added bonus if you are a Lost In Space fan Billy Mumy has a small part in Papillon

I remember seeing Papillon when I was a kid. Recently, while at my Mom's house, "Wanted dead or alive" came on MeTV, which shows classic shows. I had never seen it before, and never new McQueen did any TV series. It was a pretty good show!

"Wanted dead or alive" came on MeTV, which shows classic shows. I had never seen it before, and never new McQueen did any TV series. It was a pretty good show!

It was! It seems crazy now, but Micheal Landon was the big bad guy in the first episode...

To the King of cool! :cheers

Don't you mean "Cooler King"?

I was looking for a meme that was going around a couple years ago (couldn't find it)...
It's a pic of McQueen from "The War Lover" and it says:
"You may be cool... but you'll never be Steve McQueen with a B-17 COOL".

Next to Bogart, he was my favorite as a kid.
I remember being around 8 or 9 years old and cutting the sleeves off my sweatshirt so I could be as cool as The Cooler King.
My mom was so mad...

Last edited:
Just finished watching Bullitt for the first time. The movie was good but what really sticks out in my mind was the car chase scene. Excellent.

That's what made the movie famous & remembered.

Legend has it that McQueen did his own driving. That's not entirely true but he did more than most actors. They hired a stunt driver to play that hit man driving the Charger so he really did it all himself.

They filmed that whole movie with only two copies of each car, one stunt and one closeup. The Mustang gets all the press but in reality the film crew said the Dodge Charger was absolutely kicking the Mustang's butt, both outrunning it and withstanding more punishment.

That chase still looks good today but it was absolutely mind-blowing in 1968. Nobody had ever done anything near that before. The totally real world setting, the well-photographed action, the cars really going fast without too many camera & editing tricks, no blue screened or projection backgrounds for the in-car shots, etc.

Awesome. Thanks for the additional movie facts. Amazing how there were only 2 copies of each car since it looked like they took a beating.

That and if you notice there was hardly any music during the chase because the engines sounded so good. Although I hear the mustang was dubbed withvthe engine of a gt40..... but still.... what a chase scene. Still holds up today knowing it was all done for real.

That and if you notice there was hardly any music during the chase because the engines sounded so good. Although I hear the mustang was dubbed withvthe engine of a gt40..... but still.... what a chase scene. Still holds up today knowing it was all done for real.

Hey, if you like those chases, there's two more I can recommend: the big 40 minute chase from the original Gone in 60 Seconds (not the remake with Nicholas Cage) and most of the classic Vanishing Point.

Yea they definitely made that mustang look badass in that movie. But still respect to the dodge charger. I mean thats the General Lee right.

Damn right.... well close enough. It was a 68 rather than The Generals 69...... but close enough. I used to have a 68..... twas nice.

Love McQueen in The Hunter as well, Legend has it he was in great pain with his Cancer and treatment during filming but still did as many of his own stunts as possible (check, out the train scene). Another nice car and good car chase.... with combine harvester....lol. Shame about what happens to the Trans Am.

I had one of those too..... Twas also nice....lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back