Akira Toriyama has died.

JediMichael

Master Member
Most would know him for his art from Dragon Ball.
I know him from Chrono Trigger, one of my favorite games out there...which I just finished another playthrough a few hours ago actually...
Plus all the other works he has done.
Sad to ever lose anyone....

430610018_7252237471496857_2056076007718937566_n.jpg

As a huge fan of the Dragon Quest series, it's a huge loss. He was one of, if not the most, talented and unique artists I've ever seen, so much so, all you had to do is catch one glimpse for one moment of his work for his name to instantly pop in your head. In Japan, Dragon Quest is pretty much a part of their culture...it's enormous. Mr. Toriyama is a major reason for that. His imprint will last a very long time. Here is a pic of the drawings our daughter made of Mr. Toriyama's work. He'll be deeply missed.

1709901498270.png

Last edited:
There's a 20 year age gap between my eldest brother and I and we both grew up watching shows based on his work. Although I've never been big on his artwork (especially later when everyone shared the same face), I can't deny the impact he's had in spreading anime and manga throughout the rest of the world.

There's a 20 year age gap between my eldest brother and I and we both grew up watching shows based on his work. Although I've never been big on his artwork (especially later when everyone shared the same face), I can't deny the impact he's had in spreading anime and manga throughout the rest of the world.
I'm the same, in that I wasn't the biggest fan of all his work, since a lot did look the same, but its more just about the impact he did have.
I forgot I have this pic of him, along with the two others that worked on Chrono Trigger, which in 1995, was a hugely ground breaking game for the time.
The3.jpg

I was very sad to hear this. He was not so old. I believe he was still working on new Dragon Ball stories. Rest in peace to a legend.
He was. He had retired and after the live action Dragon Ball movie came out, he said he felt so disgusted that people might associate that with him and his creation he started up the manga again in hopes of drawing fans attention away from it.

Never had gotten into Dragon Ball, although know plenty of fans....I didn't even remember a film being made. Looked it up...way back in 2009....so 15 years already...
I saw this from imdb....

"Dragon Ball" creator Akira Toriyama was initially supportive of the announcement of a live action adaptation and asked fans to treat the film as a different interpretation of his work, but after watching the film he was so horrified at this adaptation of his work that he decided to revive the series with the animated film Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (2013). He later revealed that he wasn't allowed to have any creative input on the film and all of his suggestions were rejected.

...and...

Screenwriter Ben Ramsey has apologized for the film and admitted that he got death threats from Dragonball fans since its release. He also admitted to only having written the film for a paycheck.

Thats pretty stupid. If I was a writer and was given the chance to write a film based on someones already established work, I would want every little bit of input from them I could get...even more so when it has a big fanbase like this.
It has a 2.5 off imdb.

For anyone interested...Here is an article i came across

The creators of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are among many paying tribute to manga legend Akira Toriyama after his passing, having worked with him on several beloved games.

Bird Studio, which Toriyama founded over 40 years ago, has announced that the beloved Dragon Ball creator passed away on March 1 of an acute subdural hematoma. Since then, tributes have been pouring in from creators and fans alike.

In particular, Final Fantasy father Hironobu Sakaguchi pays tribute to Toriyama in the tweet below. "Toriyama-san taught me what it means to be a 'professional' and what 'work' is. I deeply respected him from the bottom of my heart. I sincerely pray that his soul may rest in peace," Sakaguchi writes.

Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii is also among those paying tribute to Toriyama. In the tweet below, Horii writes that he's still in "overwhelming disbelief" at the news of Toriyama's passing, and reflects on the time he first met the manga author and illustrator while working as a writer at Shonen Jump.

Horii adds that he asked Toriyama to work on the first Dragon Quest with him at the recommendation of Shonen Jump editor Kazuhiko Torishiyama. In the 37 years since, Toriyama has created countless more "charming" characters for the Dragon Quest series, and the history of Dragon Quest is synonymous with Toriyama's works.

It's not just Horii and Sakaguchi that have been praising Toriyama's works on Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the wake of his passing. Others on Twitter have been recalling how Toriyama hid a message to his two children in one ending of Chrono Trigger, while some have been posting the image just below of the three iconic creators together.
1710019200084.png

As it happens, Sand Land, the game adaptation of Toriyama's wildly popular manga series, is just around the corner from being released. The action-RPG will be released next month on April 26 across PC, PlayStation, and Xbox platforms.

Funny that I've beaten Chrono Trigger, officially now, 62 times. Having seen the programmers ending many times, never put much thought into what he was saying. But makes sense that it was his kids.
I love this ending, since on NG+, you can beat it right at the beginning of the game, and then the credits and music scroll super fast, in like 5 seconds....their sense of humor was great.

I know alot of people find Dragonball to be derivative and not well written but it was honestly quite ground breaking in its time. Goku is still one of the most loved characters in Japan and I do think his designs show alot of creativity.
What I get from and still like about Dragon Ball are the universal themes, such as friendship, courage, innocence, selflessness, justice, perseverence, and a LOT of humor, but depicted in its very own way with attention to detail and realism rather than stylized drawing (detail more so in DB than GT). And there’s no such thing as an age limit to a passion or fandom, so it doesn’t expire or ‘get old’ once you appreciate it. I still watch and love it as I’m in my 40s and will still do so when I’m 80

What I get from and still like about Dragon Ball are the universal themes, such as friendship, courage, innocence, selflessness, justice, perseverence, and a LOT of humor, but depicted in its very own way with attention to detail and realism rather than stylized drawing (detail more so in DB than GT). And there’s no such thing as an age limit to a passion or fandom, so it doesn’t expire or ‘get old’ once you appreciate it. I still watch and love it as I’m in my 40s and will still do so when I’m 80
True, Well, it is shounen jump and shounen jump is founded on the principles of "friendship, hardwork, and victory" which is why all shounen jump follow those themes (and why alot of people seem to view all anime as the same. Its because they only watch shounen jump stuff. It would be like someone saying all US movies are the same after only watching MCU movies).

Regarding aging, Im talking more about how the medium of manga has evolved over time. Dragonball is honestly a huge foundation for manga imo with most current mangaka being inspired by Dragonball and thus incorporating elements into their own work (the perennial rival, the time skip, multiple power up forms, flashy attacks and the "clash" with other flashy attacks). While Im not informed enough on manga history to say confidently that Dragonball founded these ideas, it definitely popularized them.

I do think however that due to innovation, later manga does do these tropes better or the trope itself becomes oversaturated so when a new audience who already knows those tropes goes back to read Dragonball the first time, they may see it as corny even though Dragonball popularized those tropes in the first place. I would say the same is true for Boys over Flowers as well. These manga may not have "aged" well because later manga also took these tropes and it is now widespread and not as innovative but at the time, they were game changers imo. Hence, Im honestly skeptical when someone says Dragonball is "overrated."

I also honestly appreciate Toriyama's creativity. Not just the powerup to super saiyan but the future forms (3 with long hair, god form, ultra instinct) are not just pure "ive gotten stronger" powerups but powerups that comes with costs or alternative ways of getting stronger. 3 is very powerful but uses a ton of energy so is not suited to mortals. God form needed other saiyans and peace of mind rather than rage. Ultra instinct is a mastery of martial arts and predicting enemy movements rather than a strength buff like previous forms. I just found Toriyama to always be creative so it was exciting to see what he came up with next in regard to new forms or new villains.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back