41 years ago today, E.T. was released……

I was at home sitting in my crib enjoying a gourmet meal of animal crackers and jello accompanied by a fine bottle of Alta Dena 1982.

Seriously though I love that movie. People that weren't around at the time or at least old enough to be aware don't realize how incredibly popular that movie was. The buzz for it was just as big, if not, bigger than Star Wars.

When Elliot and ET reunited. A long commercial, yes... but probably one of the best ever made. This one is all about the feels. John William's score STILL gets to you!

And the behind the scenes short is also great!

Last edited:
Oh cool, so ET and Jurassic Park were released 11 years apart to the day. I see Raiders was June 12th of 81, along with others around this time in June.
I guess Spielberg is just a June type of guy.
I wasn't quite a year old, so it was years later when I saw it.
It was never my favorite movie, but I certainly see why its a classic.
In fact, for my big fireworks show this year, I have the ET main theme playing and show the whole entire story within those few mins. It works really well.

Because it never became a franchise, E.T. has pretty much faded in most people’s memories and most people born after 1982 have really not encountered the film.

No one would believe that for the summer of 1982, E.T. was regarded as bigger than Star Wars.

The character was EVERYWHERE, for a time…

IMG_9406.jpeg

Because it never became a franchise, E.T. has pretty much faded in most people’s memories and most people born after 1982 have really not encountered the film.

No one would believe that for the summer of 1982, E.T. was regarded as bigger than Star Wars.

View attachment 1709574

"E.T...is not my lover...ooh!...He's just an alien...don't say...I am the one...uh!...the kid is not my son"...lol, just couldn't resist

View attachment 1709574
It WAS the summer of E.T., and , He is currently in my den as I speak!:D

My cool uncle, the kid brother of my dad saw it first and told me all about it, plus told my parents that we had to see it. I was 10, the same age as Elliot in the movie and I couldn't believe that a movie could be so good. When the bikes took off at the end, the audience cheered and I still get goosepimples watching it to this very day.

It really captured everyone's imagination that year, just a tremendous force and cultural phenomenon. I'm glad I was lucky enough to be the perfect age when it came out.

I was 15-16 that year and TONS of films came out. I did see it a few times, bought the soundtrack but that was about it. The Loma theater I saw it at still stands but it’s a book store now. But at least something is left of those single big screen days. I was a bit too old for it to take deep root. So I was all about Blade Runner, Poltergeist, Star Trek II, Tron, Conan.

I was 15-16 that year and TONS of films came out. I did see it a few times, bought the soundtrack but that was about it. The Loma theater I saw it at still stands but it’s a book store now. But at least something is left of those single big screen days. I was a bit too old for it to take deep root. So I was all about Blade Runner, Poltergeist, Star Trek II, Tron, Conan.
1982 was a great year for film!

In 1982 while the whole world was consumed with E.T. fever, this 16 year old kid kept returning to one theater to watch Blade Runner over and over again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back