Steve McQueen Died 35 Years Ago Today

Probe Droid

Master Member
Steve McQueen died of cancer 35 years ago today. Horribly, it's believed now that he contracted the disease through the asbestos used in racing suits of the day. Loved his films growing up. So many good ones, Magnificent 7, Bullitt, The Great Escape, The Blob, etc., but my fav is Papillon. He's brilliant in that.

Here's to ya, Steve. I'm sure you had lots of good films to come.

attachment.php

Attachments

• papillon_1973-5-1920x800.jpg
    papillon_1973-5-1920x800.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 34,644
The Sand Pebbles, The Getaway, Tom Horn, The Hunter, I could go on and on. I love all his films pretty equally.

It would have been interesting to see him in The Bodyguard with Diana Ross.

Without a doubt we lost him WAY to soon.

I was watching the Towering Inferno again about 6 months ago and was amazed once again how much Screen Presence he had

Big fan of McQueen. The Sand Pebbles and Papillion are two favorites. Thought he was great in Thomas Crown Affair too.

"I'm not sure acting is something a grown man should be doing"
Steve McQueen

"Bruce Lee once told me that if he could be a Hollywood star...he would be Steve McQueen"
James Coburn

"Steve was a classic action star, action hero...sometimes subdued...but an action star always"
James Garner

"Everyone dies...I have cancer...I'm fighting....you can fight life all day.....but life always wins"
Steve McQueen

"I'm not sure acting is something a grown man should be doing"
Steve McQueen

"Bruce Lee once told me that if he could be a Hollywood star...he would be Steve McQueen"
James Coburn

"Steve was a classic action star, action hero...sometimes subdued...but an action star always"
James Garner

"Everyone dies...I have cancer...I'm fighting....you can fight life all day.....but life always wins"
Steve McQueen

Those quotes brought a tear to my eye. Kudos for finding such great gems.
I still watch Wanted: Dead or Alive and still think to myself how lucky they were to get him.

The Sand Pebbles, The Getaway, Tom Horn, The Hunter, I could go on and on. I love all his films pretty equally.

It would have been interesting to see him in The Bodyguard with Diana Ross.

Fun little trivia fact: Steve McQueen originally signed on to play John Rambo in First Blood and was going to play in the film after completing The Hunter. Of course, The Hunter ended up being his last film and he passed away before he could get the chance to film (this resulted in the film being delayed and then becoming the iconic Sylvester Stallone film).

I've enjoyed some of his work. I'm proud to own some of his films and wouldn't mind seeing some more of his work. But to me, he will always be Hilts, the Cooler King...

02f29mcqueen-473518.jpg

Frank Bullitt...

Bullitt_mustang.jpeg

And Nevada Smith, amongst many memorable characters.

nevadasmith.jpg

Last edited:
Cancer!? I always thought he died in a Porsche accident!? Wow I was way off... One thing I learned about him was he ended up buying one of the Mustangs from bullet and doing his own engine and suspension modifications himself! Pretty cool, sad to see it was from the fire proof suits back then..

Cancer!? I always thought he died in a Porsche accident!? Wow I was way off... One thing I learned about him was he ended up buying one of the Mustangs from bullet and doing his own engine and suspension modifications himself! Pretty cool, sad to see it was from the fire proof suits back then..

Yeah, the Porsche accident you're confusing with James Dean (who died in his Porsche Spider on a way to a race). He died of cancer, which may have been a combination of the smoking he used to do and the asbestos lined racing gear he used when racing (which was common practice until they found out how asbestos was dangerous to the human body).

I remember when he passed.

Much like Bogart, I really enjoy picking a lesser known McQueen movie I haven't seen in years and just watching the man act. Such a good library of films he has given us, too bad they ended so soon.

Yeah, the Porsche accident you're confusing with James Dean (who died in his Porsche Spider on a way to a race). He died of cancer, which may have been a combination of the smoking he used to do and the asbestos lined racing gear he used when racing (which was common practice until they found out how asbestos was dangerous to the human body).

your exactly right! i totally confused those two, yes. wow what a brain fart

LeMans is one of my all time favorites-

If you like cars- especially Porsche, do see it. (If you don't love racing though, you may find it boring)

steve_mcqueen_rex-2.jpg

smcqueen_lemans_still_gq_22aug11_rex_b.jpg

car22n-3-web.jpg

A bit off topic but anytime someone mentions Dean I can't help but remember that my Grandfather was the one who shipped him back home via the SP (Southern Pacific) way back then.

Can't remember off hand but I think granddad was the main agent in San Lius Obispo or Paso Robels at the time,my Mom was I think born there in one of those cities,in 1954 actually a year before Dean's death.

Small world.

He was gone WAY too soon. I enjoyed many of his films, but 'The Sand Pebbles' is my favorite. There's a standing joke in my family to this day. Anytime you're working on something, & you come across a part or piece that you're unfamiliar with, or can't remember the name of, we use the term: "MAYN STIM STOP WOW".

RIP to the king of cool...

Wow, TBH I have never seen one of his films. After seeing this thread I'll have to see one. Any suggestions for a first Steve McQueen film?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back