Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I really wanted to love this movie, I really enjoyed Man of Steel, and Ben Affleck's Batman looked great, but at best I thought it was ok. Not terrible, but not all that great either. A lot of the plot seemed really forced. CAUTION IT GETS SPOILERY FROM HERE......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... I really only have a couple beefs with the movie, but they were big enough to have taken a lot of pleasure out of seeing it. First, I'm supposed to believe that this Batman, who casually kills dozens of people and blows up his share of real estate, is fully against Superman because of the destruction and death that happened when he fought the other Kryptonians. Then we find out that he was only against Superman because he was manipulated by Lex Luthor. Batman, himself a genius, is easily controlled by an obviously unhinged Luthor. Then we have Doomsday. I hate that they wasted that story. Absolutely hated it. They completely wasted the Death of Superman story. First of all they should have saved that for after he was already established, after he was a beloved hero that the people cared about. He was still highly divisive with the population, both within the film and with movie goers. So having him die already really takes away any impact it would have. Add to that, at Clark's funeral, Bruce seems really torn up about it, even though they were only allies for about 10 minutes, certainly not friends.And it could have easily been avoided, Send WW after the spear or just use her sword which was shown to cut DD. No , the "Death of" storyline should have been saved for later. Lex was goofy and didn't fit the rest of the tone and it sucks that he already figured out Supe's and Bats' identity. Unrelated to story, I was sick of Snyder's washed out pallet ten minutes into the movie, it was tolerable in MOS, but it got old real quick.
Now on to the good stuff. Batman(aside from wanton murder) was awesome, Affleck did a great job. And I will give it to Snyder, he did a great job with the look of the characters, they were right out of the comics. And I was pleasantly surprised with Gal Gadot's WW. I admit, I was totally against her casting and her physique, but she pulled it off admirably. When she showed up, I didn't see a skinny model, I saw WonderWoman. And I was worried about them trying to shoehorn the JL into the film, but their introduction was well done, it fit naturally into the narrative and didn't seem forced like I feared it would. And overall the action worked, it was paced well and didn't drag out like the Zod fight in MOS, Snyder definitely knows his way around action set pieces.
Sorry for the long rant, but these are characters I have strong opinions about.

Honestly I like Sucker Punch more than BvS

I havent even seen Suckerpunch, and I like it more than BvS. Hell, the owl movie might even be better than that trash. I think Synder did well with Watchmen, because he didnt need to have to understand them. WB gave him a comic and was like "adapt this". Which is fine, cause it worked. For people that know the story behind Watchmen, and how it was created, they will understand why. But Superman and Batman arent one shot knock off super heroes. They are the heavy hitters in DC's stable, with themes and personalities and characteristics that Snyder obviously doesnt understand, or, if he does, respect.

Just got back from it and really enjoyed it. It wasn't the greatest movie ever or anything but the things I feared happening the most didn't happen.

And I never thought I'd say this, but I think Affleck's version of Batman is the best yet.

I really wanted to love this movie, I really enjoyed Man of Steel, and Ben Affleck's Batman looked great, but at best I thought it was ok. Not terrible, but not all that great either. A lot of the plot seemed really forced. CAUTION IT GETS SPOILERY FROM
Why not just post in the post-release thread with spoilers? :facepalm

OK so I went and I saw it on Saturday night. I know that I have said that I would hate it and it was going to be nothing but a train wreck. So I went in with an open mind. I have to admit that I really enjoyed the first part of it. I thought from a philosophical stand point it asked some very good questions about how we as a society would feel if we found out life on other planets existed and how would we react. I also liked the fact that Batman had not been retired and was still actively working (I thought Jeremy Irons performance was brilliant). If they would have ended the movie at figuring out Lex was behind it all I would have been very pleased.

However the Doomsday story line and the Death of Superman plot just killed what could have been a great movie and been a great lead in to Justice League. They did to much to soon trying to cram it all in. Perhaps people who have not read the comics will like that twist and maybe it was done for shock value among the masses but I feel it ended up ruining the movie. If you want to have Doomsday that might have been OK done another way but doing the death of Superman storyline was just to much and poorly done IMO.

I went and saw it last night. I agree with what's been said, but all I can say is that I didn't hate it. I can't say that I loved it because I can't figure out what I was supposed to get behind. It was TOO Much darned movie in 2.5 hrs. It was too much of everything and too little of any one element that I could get behind and get involved with.

I saw it in a packed theater, and there was a large family taking the seats in front of me and next to me. There was a 9 YO girl in the seat next to me, and she couldn't sit still for 2.5 hrs. I don't blame her, it was boring her to death. Why do parents take young children to these things?

That said, Batfleck did a fine job, and I would totally accept him in another Bat film. Yes, Jeremy Irons Nailed it!

Why dont people try to get in contact with Doug (prop master) about the throat microphone and ask him.

There's no real need to unless what was used in the film was different from other throat mics. It's not like it's something new and unique to the DC movierverse, the tech has been around since at least WW II where they were used by pilots. Now a days it's in common use with the military, special operations in particular, to give people hands free comms. All you really need to do to duplicate what they did in the BvS is to buy a throat mic and then adapt it to fit a voice changer instead of a radio, but that probably wouldn't be too difficult as I imagine that a throat mic comes with some sort of standard plug.

There's no real need to unless what was used in the film was different from other throat mics. It's not like it's something new and unique to the DC movierverse, the tech has been around since at least WW II where they were used by pilots. Now a days it's in common use with the military, special operations in particular, to give people hands free comms. All you really need to do to duplicate what they did in the BvS is to buy a throat mic and then adapt it to fit a voice changer instead of a radio, but that probably wouldn't be too difficult as I imagine that a throat mic comes with some sort of standard plug.

It was an practical prop and it was custom made.

WB didn't tap Snyder for BvS because they thought he'd do a bad job, c'mon folks. Just thinking out loud here, they must've felt he got some things right in MOS and he could improve on that. They also probably felt he could do Batman justice in a post-Nolan era, which based on some of his past work wasn't a terrible assumption at the time. And I really doubt any studio exec believed Snyder would deliver a 90%+ RT movie; his track record with critics simply doesn't support that. Under reasonable expectations, what they probably were fine with was a popcorn flick with a moderate critics rating (somewhere around MOS), that could get audiences in seats, have enough appeal to a sizable portion of genre fans (like MOS), and lay the groundwork for the DCEU and JL films. Clearly they didn't get most of that, and the jury's still out on how many viewers they can sell this to and how fans will react to future DCEU films.

They probably tapped Snyder more for the name recognition and his style more than anything. I highly doubt that they gave him BvS because they thought that he could improve on what he did with Superman, they probably thought that he did a good enough job, brought in lots of money so why not tap him for BvS then? It's a big movie for Warner/DC so they're not going to go with an unknown first time feature director, nor are they going to go with somebody who's known for RomComs or serious Oscar bait type movie, so who do you give it to then, you give it to somebody with a name and is known for making action movies and it doesn't hurt that he's directed comic book movies before.

- - - Updated - - -

It was an practical prop and it was custom made.

Custom made can mean a lot. Without having seen it I don't see why you couldn't just base it off a real throat mic. I bet that there are throat mics that are already out there on the market that look pretty close and could be easily modded to be screen accurate.

They probably tapped Snyder more for the name recognition and his style more than anything. I highly doubt that they gave him BvS because they thought that he could improve on what he did with Superman, they probably thought that he did a good enough job, brought in lots of money so why not tap him for BvS then? It's a big movie for Warner/DC so they're not going to go with an unknown first time feature director, nor are they going to go with somebody who's known for RomComs or serious Oscar bait type movie, so who do you give it to then, you give it to somebody with a name and is known for making action movies and it doesn't hurt that he's directed comic book movies before.

- - - Updated - - -

Custom made can mean a lot. Without having seen it I don't see why you couldn't just base it off a real throat mic. I bet that there are throat mics that are already out there on the market that look pretty close and could be easily modded to be screen accurate.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ldSDAQaBw

From the looks of it, you could just buy a normal throat mic then make the add-ons yourself to get Bat's throat mic. You could either keep the throat mic completely intact or remove it completely from strap that holds it to your neck and attach it to the exterior piece. But all of this is unnecessary if you're going to be wearing it under the costume because it would be completely hidden by the cowl, in which case all you would need is the throat mic and a voice (modulator) box.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back