Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Switched to all steady whites....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1488644836881.jpg
    FB_IMG_1488644836881.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 223
Thanks, I love this primer! It's Rust Oleum 2X Ultra Cover. It goes on super smooth with a nice finish.

Thanks, I love this primer! It's Rust Oleum 2X Ultra Cover. It goes on super smooth with a nice finish.

Looking nice as always.

I wish Testors paint went on as nice as Krylon or Rust Oleum. They go on smooth as a babies behind and almost dry to the touch. Testors is a mess and the cans spit. Makes me ready to switch to Tamiya.

Final color coats applied. After priming in grey (seen above) I had masked off various panels. The model was shot with Duplicolor Universal White and the masks removed. This revealed grey primer panels. Obviously these are too dark as is, so another few light coats of white were applied to almost cover the grey panels. This is the same technique I used on my Revell snap kit. Closely monitoring the coverage I stopped just before the grey panels disappeared. This gave a nice and evenly controlled panel effect without a lot of masking and painting or the need for airbrushing. Once I clip the fibers, I'll post better shots of the paneling effect.

2r2lpgy.jpg

xcj1vs.jpg

28vuhyo.jpg

eitjl0.jpg

29f2j53.jpg

Yup. That looks like a Star Destroyer! Nice! If you wouldn't mind, Robiwon, could you snap some images of your technique of trimming the fiber optic ends - particularly in the more deeply recessed areas? And the tools you use too - that will be a huge help to those of us that are doing FO for the first time.

Sure thing WardeD. I'll probably start on that tonight. I'll document the process with a lot of photos for you guys. One thing I did realize was I forgot to mask the Picco flood LEDs in the trenches. I'll need to carefully scrape those free of paint as well.

That looks great Robiwon. Once again you put us slackers to shame.

One minor tease: From the angle you shot the garbage chute, it kind of looks like a giant is standing in the back. :D

LOL. I'll get better pics with better lighting. My camera doesn't do well with artificial lighting (desk lamps).

VERY nice, Robiwon. Looks quite different with the FO trimmed, to be sure. You've really got a winner there, and with VFX lighting, I'll bet it would really look like it was a model pulled from ILM storage!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back