Revell 1:2700 Star Destroyer *Complete*

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A good number of these are here on the forums have been built but I thought I would throw this one out here for a specific reason :)

While this is not the most accurate kit in the world, it's still a really great kit. I know a lot of people (at least from reading the comments) have this sitting in their stash, unbuilt because of the amount of effort to make it more accurate. As model builders, I think we are all looking for something a bit different, and for me, accuracy has really never been a top priority.

For me, it's all in the assembly of the model (and adding a few extras here and there) and the paint. I have so much respect for people that spend, months or years researching and adding a ton of details to their builds, looking at you Madhatter :)

Anyway, if you have this kit, get it out, it's a great size, and with a weekend's worth of work to get some lights added, the finished product has a great effect.

Thanks!

IMG_20230513_001537193.jpg

I have had too many builds over the years that once mounted were not level, but not this time!

IMG_20230513_141017609.jpg

Adding some extra metal inside to ensure the mount is super rigid.

IMG_20230513_141449506.jpg

And, so begins the labors process of threading fiber optics :)

I have come to rely on aluminum tape, it's crazy sticky, will never let go, and is great to 100% light block anything.

IMG_20230514_183721425.jpg

IMG_20230514_091340140.jpg

I have found these aluminum tubes to be great for holding the fiber, they don't weigh much, are easy to cut and once the LED's are in there the light is blocked 100%.

IMG_20230515_221830567.jpg

IMG_20230527_102348653.jpg

IMG_20230527_155439292.jpg

Last edited:
After all the lights have been tested, it's time for my favorite part, paint! One item of note I have realized over all of my builds is that it's all about layers. There is no single color that makes these models come to life, it's many slow and light layers over other colors that for me really get me the look I am going for in the end. For this build I was attempting more of an 'on screen' color scheme as opposed to it 'looking' like a model, hopefully, that is what was achieved.

After a coat of black primer, here is a high-level outline of the process I used.

Step 1: Light dusting of Reefer White
Step 2: Mask
Step 3: SP Lark Light Grey
Step 4: Mask
Step 5: Light Reefer Grey
Step 6: Mask
Step 7: SP Lettering Grey
Step 8: Un-Mask
Step 9: SD Surface
Step 10: Dust with SP Lettering Grey to darken it some.
Step 11: Shade randomly with SP Lark Dark Grey and then dust the entire thing.
Step 12: Gloss Coat
Step 13: Panel Lines/Weathering (pencil and SP Lark Dark)
Step 14: Dust with SD Surface
Step 15: Flat Coat

While I generally don't like to use gloss/flat coats with this paint, I felt that in the end, it did help to bring it all together.

IMG_20230529_103704138.jpg

IMG_20230529_104922020.jpg

IMG_20230529_110052740.jpg

IMG_20230529_132239111.jpg

IMG_20230529_132735052.jpg

I did find a good technique to really throw down a lot of the 'Aztec' pattern without spending a ton of time. I used all 3 sizes of masking tape from Tamiya, laid them out, and then just randomly cut them all out using a metal ruler. Then I used my exacto blade to flip up the edges and the tweezes to grab them and apply. I know it sounds small, but having a process in place really made this part go quickly.

IMG_20230529_123552863.jpg

IMG_20230529_131257943.jpg

IMG_20230529_211447241.jpg

IMG_20230529_211439807.jpg

IMG_20230529_214113374.jpg

And now it's time to rip off all the tiny squares :)

IMG_20230530_211751627.jpg

IMG_20230530_215804805.jpg

For me, it's always at this point where you start to wonder if it's actually going to work :)

IMG_20230530_220559579.jpg

But then you put down the first dusting of the base or other color and it starts coming together.

IMG_20230530_224247610.jpg

And that is about it! Took about 3 weekends and like I said, it's a great kit and easy to build if you are going the 'as is' route. I used a bit of pine to fashin the base and then 3D printed the empire symbol out of PLA and hit it with some red enamel for the base.

IMG_20230604_090557538.jpg

IMG_20230604_090626380.jpg

IMG_20230604_090714053.jpg

IMG_20230604_093814895.jpg

IMG_20230604_093842937.jpg

IMG_20230604_093928596.jpg

Last edited:
Took about 3 weekends and like I said, it's a great kit and easy to build.
Looks fantastic, but THREE WEEKENDS?! Holy crap, man, my Bandai Star Destroyer took me over a year. I did take a long break away from threading fiber optics, but still, the total build time was months.

I just can't fathom, but your end result is great!

Looks fantastic, but THREE WEEKENDS?! Holy crap, man, my Bandai Star Destroyer took me over a year. I did take a long break away from threading fiber optics, but still, the total build time was months.

I just can't fathom, but your end result is great!

Ha, and thanks! Granted they were 3 long focused weekends, but yeah, I really wanted to get it built and finished. I have a number of abandoned (some posted here, others sitting in my office closet) project that will probably never get done... I am trying to focus on one kit at a time, making sure I have all the parts/paint/etc. and then just knocking it out :)

Next up is finally building my PFG Falcon, that should be like 5 weekends, right ;)

wow - that came out beautifully! 3 weekends to do though - I could only dream of that kind of time frame. That's how long it took me to do the roof panel only, but then, I do work at the glacial pace of evolution.

That is really nice, and yeah, 3 weeks?
I spent 20 years scratch building one....although I technically "finished" it like 4 different times.

wow - that came out beautifully! 3 weekends to do though - I could only dream of that kind of time frame. That's how long it took me to do the roof panel only, but then, I do work at the glacial pace of evolution.

Thanks! I am excited to see yours once it's all the way done for sure, so many details! I think in the end, I have so many things I want to build I just can't spend years on one project :)

That is really nice, and yeah, 3 weeks?
I spent 20 years scratch building one....although I technically "finished" it like 4 different times.

Well, to your point about not being finished, I still have an A-Wing with no canopy and a Blockade Runner that needs its upper guns finished and attached among other small never quite finished projects. They never seem to actually be 'done' ;)

And thanks!

Well, to your point about not being finished, I still have an A-Wing with no canopy and a Blockade Runner that needs its upper guns finished and attached among other small never quite finished projects. They never seem to actually be 'done' ;)

And thanks!
The never ending curse of having to many projects going on at once.
I have 3 model builds I've started. Got an event to show Jurassic Park next week in the yard on a big screen. 4th of July firework show, also using the screen. Having the kitchen redone, which thankfully I only have to pick out the stuff and colors, not the actual building, but house has been torn up for 4 months. Plus I have a bunch of just for fun video editing projects also going on.
My parents are like, why do you do this to yourself, your always stressing yourself out.....I know......lol.

Looks great! What diameter of FO did you use?

SB

Thanks! I used both .5 and .75. While it is a bit large for this scale (in my opinion) I wanted each one that I ran to stand out more so I went with the larger-sized ones for most of it. More of the .5 and .25 would probably look more correct, but it's so flimsy and a pain to work with, at least for me :)

Last edited:
The never ending curse of having to many projects going on at once.
I have 3 model builds I've started. Got an event to show Jurassic Park next week in the yard on a big screen. 4th of July firework show, also using the screen. Having the kitchen redone, which thankfully I only have to pick out the stuff and colors, not the actual building, but house has been torn up for 4 months. Plus I have a bunch of just for fun video editing projects also going on.
My parents are like, why do you do this to yourself, your always stressing yourself out.....I know......lol.

Ha, well you can take my route and not do those things and just build the models instead :)

Ha, well you can take my route and not do those things and just build the models instead :)
True, but once you've dug the hole, pretty stuck in it....right?
Actually, I'm not really stressed out over any of this, not this year. More anxious and excited really.
Two years ago leading up to July 4th, that was a rough one. I really put WAY too much on myself all the while learning a ton of new things for all the projects.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back