Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project - open source

Re: Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project

Where the Red 2 'title' comes from.
Can easily change it.
Suggestions?

Im confused guys, in this thread you're refering to Red 2 every time, however Red is a X-wing not a Y-Wing, the Ys are "Gold-something" but the red one known here as "Red Jammer", did I miss something ?
Just to clarify I would never use Comic Sans so it probably wasn't me :lol

BUT these are pics of the eight you will hear talked about (in no order):

Bill George Y-wing. Made by Bill when he was a young fan, not yet hired by ILM, then "drafted into service" during ROTJ when they needed more Ys. Now living at the Archives and technically Canon. Proportions are unique, and the R5 is the biggest landmark:
View attachment 615805

"TIE Killer" or Gold Leader. This is a Hero ANH Y, in private hands now, and I suspect it has been painted "post filming" in a few areas. I may be in the minority on that one, but I don't think the green is screen-seen (and it's sloppy as heck). Every one is real skittish about this one, which leads me to believe the owner is paranoid about the provenance of how or why it is in private hands now.
View attachment 615806

The Alan Ladd Jr Y, hero ANH, given to Laddy after the film wrapped and later sold to the owner of Prop Store, who I assume will be buried with it. I know I would! A GORGEOUS example of the original wave of Y-Wings, and it has a pilot!
View attachment 615807

Colin Cantwell's Y-Wing Prototype. This pic has guns and a canopy that seem to be a design that was laster changed, as it does not look like this now. Also still in the LFL Archives.
View attachment 615802

Ugly terrible crappy "pyros" or deep background Ys. They are on "sticks" permanently, they are painted crudely, they are beat to hell, and they live at the Archives as well.
View attachment 615803

Red Leader, or "Red Jammer". This is the first Y-Wing built incompletely and shipped to Elstree with the Blue 1 X-Wing for use by the set designers to make the 1:1 set pieces. It was returned to ILM and finished (uniquely) at some point, but did NOT see screen time (unlike it's companion which became Red 2 and was filmed), It lives at the Archives and I think is the only Y with styrene engines.
View attachment 615804

"Blue R2 with Red Stripe" Y-Wing. The only Hero screen used ANH era Y that is still in the Archives. This one toured and was the first one I saw at the Smithsonian in the 1990s. It was also on tour when I was doing the reference at the Archives for MR, so this one is a show pony!
View attachment 615904

Triangles. My white whale. I recently scored high res four-ways of this one, and I have a back shot too, so I can now say we have nailed the paint work on this puppy, and all the decals on the underside. She was a pyro, she was wonky and her neck drooped, and she blew up. Shuffled off this mortal coil. An ex-parrot.
View attachment 615808

The quoted text mentions it's counterpart Red 2 which is an X Wing and must have been sent to Elstree as well but he was saying unlike the Y Jammer, the X Wing Red 2 was used in the film.

Who's on first?[emoji1]

9689a0f46b30fa84f26b3b9b412a76fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

So, are we all in agreement that the part maps should be changed to Red Leader?

"Red Leader" is a character in the script for Star Wars, and is the X-Wing pilot who files the craft most often referred to around here as either "Red Leader" or "Red One", because both the hero and pyro X-Wng miniatures built to represent "Red Leader's" machine have a single red stripe on each wing.

"Red Leader" has never been used here to refer to a Y-Wing miniature, at least not until this thread.

For these reasons alone, IMO, there is probably no worse name for the Y-Wing miniature most commonly referred to here for nearly two decades as "Red Jammer" than "Red Leader."

So no, we are most certainly not "all in agreement."

Last edited:

Other half of the underside I have been putting together. I'm pretty stuck on where to go for the last few pieces that sit atop the Morgan engine.
LeftUnderBody.png

Which box should I be looking at for the Otaki P51D Mustang? Don't want to get the retooled one!

The light green question mark looks like it could be the Stug IV as well.

I'm pretty sure the green square at the front is an engine vent from the Tamiya M577. The M577 also supplies the part in front of the droid socket, on top of the Buffalo piece.

You beat me to it. The Tamiya M113 would also supply the vent-like part.

I had thought that the other part the kit supplied up top was the sledgehammer along the right side of the droid socket.

Attachments

• IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 165

You beat me to it. The Tamiya M113 would also supply the vent-like part.

I had thought that the other part the kit supplied up top was the sledgehammer along the right side of the droid socket.
It does.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks BowmanArt. I see the part in front of the droid that sits on top of the buffalo ramp now. It's nearly the whole part! That's the Neisen red jammer photo beneath it.

This part is only in the Tamiya M577, so that's the kit needed.

Attachments

• m577 part.jpg
    m577 part.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 320
Last edited:

-... . .- --..
This thread is all about passing on information and gaining knowledge for not only those involved but for those who are following this great adventure.
I thank you for the knowledge that you passed as it is greatly appreciated.

Note to all readers and participants of this thread:
All pages in the first post have been updated to Red Jammer.

"Red Leader" is a character in the script for Star Wars, and is the X-Wing pilot who files the craft most often referred to around here as either "Red Leader" or "Red One", because both the hero and pyro X-Wng miniatures built to represent "Red Leader's" machine have a single red stripe on each wing.

"Red Leader" has never been used here to refer to a Y-Wing miniature, at least not until this thread.

For these reasons alone, IMO, there is probably no worse name for the Y-Wing miniature most commonly referred to here for nearly two decades as "Red Jammer" than "Red Leader."

So no, we are most certainly not "all in agreement."

I will update the pages with the most current information within the next few days.

Tonight, I am going to enjoy watching Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back