Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project - open source

Re: Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project

No problem....lol. Why did you wait till the game was over to post though?

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

We have been Penguin fans since '92-'93. I was at college in Pittsburgh. I never got into any sport until she and I got together. Hockey is the one and only sport in our household.
The opposite is also true in that she hardly ever watched movies until she met me. Her first movie in a theater was Jurassic Park and I took her. Then, all the must see movies (on laser disc) like Star Wars and Indiana Jones to name a few. :D

Last edited:
A Discovery regarding donor kits that you only need a few parts from...

Call Tamiya at 1-800-826-4922, then press 2 for Customer Service. Say you'd like to order a replacement part. Say it's the Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger which is Kit # 35169 (Porsche Turret) or say it's Kit # 35252 (Ardennes Front Turret), but EITHER WAY it's the same upper hull part you want, and on both models that is part # 0443157 and it is in stock for $5.15 plus $5 shipping. You've just saved $44 off the retail price of the whole kit, and there's the back of your Y-Wing Fighter in Studio Scale. If you want the door, you have to order the appropriate sprue (Sprue C, Part #38), or you could just make your own door. Most likely you already own the whole kit, so really all you're doing is buying back the one piece you need to resell that kit to someone who wants to actually build a tank model.

Say you want the gun-emplacement turrets that ride on top of the T-bar for the engine-nacelle hold-downs? That's Sprue F of the Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. N (Kit #35290, now that the Ausf. M/N is out of production), and is $6.30 per sprue (and you'll need 8 of them, or one plus some resin-casting skills). See the whole manual/instructions they uploaded at http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/35290ml.pdf in case there are other parts you want to order.

The British Centurion 1/25 Scale tank (Kit#30614) is out of production, but Tamiya still has sprues C, and L. Sprues A, D, J and K are out of stock. Sprues C, J, K, and L are the ones you'll need - the available sprue B is just wheels and sprockets, none of which are used on the Y-Wing.

I believe he is talking about the Tamiya Panzer VI King Tiger which I also believed to be the source of the baseplate for the rear panel on the Y.

Yes, that is is what I'm referring to: the Tamiya Panzer VI King Tiger was the source of the baseplate for the rear panel of all the Y-Wing Fighter's I've ever seen from ILM.

I thought it's the nichimo tiger. And you'd also be replacing the M/N with modern equivalents. Nice info about spruces. Thanks.

Ah, so I've learned something new -- the Nichimo Tiger is out of production, no? And the Tamiya is the "closest alternate" available? Or is that also wrong? Either way, grateful for the education. Also, this:

RED HERRING LIST
I've not seen it anywhere else, so I'm beginning a list of "Red Herrings" -- model kits you "thought" were on the Studio-Scale Y-Wing but which, after purchase and painful discovery, you realized they WERE NOT. Please help save others from this expensive series of mistakes. This list does not include modern remakes of older kits.

NOT ON the Studio Scale Y-Wing, ANY VERSION
Revell 1/535 Missouri Ship
Dragon 1/700 Bismarck

Can you say which of the Y-Wings you are looking for confirmation about? Each Y is different, and there are numerous threads detailing some of those differences.

In this thread we are looking specifically at Red Jammer. Adam Johnsons summary is a good source of info to answer the question.

Thanks for the link, I assume some the photos are photoshopped and not original (they look off), other than the obvious ones labeled Finemolds and Bandai?

pm_y_wing3_big.jpg

Here's an image of the Jammer I just realized I had. I found it on another model site a while ago. I'm sure it's been posted here before but I think it has disappeared from any threads it's in. I've never seen it here. I can see one piece of the droid strip on the left, along with the centurion piece again. And you can see the other piece from the Bandai 1/48 PantherG on the bottom there as well!

Redywing2.jpg

And this is an old one I found from the same site! I've seen a zoomed in version of it before here. It gives a bit better view into the neck area between the firewall and droid slot to see those Command Post pieces and even a well lit view of the top of the wings.

Thanks for the link, I assume some the photos are photoshopped and not original (they look off), other than the obvious ones labeled Finemolds and Bandai?

You would have to contact Adam to be certain. I merely refer to the link as its handy to see the summary variations in colour and broad detail side by side. Given the similar nature of the shots I suspect they are photoshopped but as I am not the author this is my opinion not fact.

Heller_possible.png

Is this highlighted piece from the Heller La Seine? I believe the kit is used and from the bad scans I've seen it's all I can recognize. Thanks for any help.

This is another view of the top of the Red Jammer thanks to the help of much more knowledgeable people from this thread. Let me know if I have made a mistake at all here. I wish I could figure out the mirrored yellow pieces here. I'm wondering if they are from a 1/450 Hasegawa ship maybe? I cannot find scans of those ships online easily.
zoomed_topView.png

Last edited:

I think that rectangular box on the right of it is attached to it too.

View attachment 634722

Is this highlighted piece from the Heller La Seine? I believe the kit is used and from the bad scans I've seen it's all I can recognize. Thanks for any help.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a clue given somewhere that those yellow pieces are from a ship. Closer views make it look like the bridge of a small scale ship - it's got tiny ladders on it.

This is another view of the top of the Red Jammer thanks to the help of much more knowledgeable people from this thread. Let me know if I have made a mistake at all here. I wish I could figure out the mirrored yellow pieces here. I'm wondering if they are from a 1/450 Hasegawa ship maybe? I cannot find scans of those ships online easily.
View attachment 634740

I've read that the attached box is scratched and by looking at the buildup of EFX gold leader images it seems to confirm that thought. And yes I read that too which is why I think it could be from one of the Hasegawa 1/450 models which I have not found good scans of. Both the Tirpitz and Vanguard are ships in the giant stack of kits posted a few pages back. And I wonder if it could be in one of them.

So I should probably edit my second image to reflect the box as being scratchbuilt... my bad.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back