Wreck-It Ralph (Post-release)

Just saw the movie yesterday and Disney scores another win!!

"Oreo...OREO!" Duncan and Winchell!!! Sugar Rush bonus level with Diet Coke and Mentos!!!

tell me one person Ralph changed. Not Felix. Not the girl. He's simply there.

The girl's name was not "the girl". It was Vanellope. Ralph stood up for her when she was being bullied by the other racers, he helped design her car, he helped her learn how to race, he defeated the Turbo guy, and helped her cross the finish line. Also, he found something more important than a medal.

How are these moments irrelevant? If you want to talk about characters who are simply there, I've got a whole bunch of pages about JJ's Star Trek on how Uhura is completely useless.

The girl's name was not "the girl". It was Vanellope. Ralph stood up for her when she was being bullied by the other racers, he helped design her car, he helped her learn how to race, he defeated the Turbo guy, and helped her cross the finish line. Also, he found something more important than a medal. >>>

Yet it was the medal that brought him what he wanted in the end - And as for him helping "THE GIRL" design the car and standing up for her - what long term effect did these actions have? She didn't learn to stand up for herself because of Ralph - she was already determined to become a racer and was more than used to being ostracized by the community. If he truly taught her anything of value when it comes to racing she would have had to used his teachings during the race -

<<How are these moments irrelevant? If you want to talk about characters who are simply there, I've got a whole bunch of pages about JJ's Star Trek on how Uhura is completely useless.

The moments aren't irrelevant - Ralph is. He lends nothing of who he is or what he can do while helping her - neither he nor she gain anything by the other being there. These would have been perfect moments for Ralph to gain some insight from her when it comes to being who you want to be no matter who stands in your way - "Only you can stop yourself from achieving your dreams."

And wait - Uhura translates the Romulan language. She helps Spock when his planet goes kaplooey. She is the only female in the movie who Kirk must earn respect from. -- :lol

It wasn't called "The Brave", it was called "Brave". I personally prefer "The Bear and the Bow".

And the bad guy wasn't called "Turbo Guy" it's just Turbo. :love And as some one posted above - in Japan the movie is called Sugar Rush - they believe in truth in advertising over there.

The moments aren't irrelevant - Ralph is. He lends nothing of who he is or what he can do while helping her

He built her the practice track with his wrecking skills, demolished her car, convinced Felix to fix it, and caused the diet soda volcano to act as a beacon. How is that not lending what he can do to help Vanellope and everyone out?

I can't rag on it because I never saw it. It sucked, huh?

Cars and Car 2 were both unnecessary IMO. Cars 2 sucked a big one, and my wife said Brave wasn't so good.

This movie was pretty original IMO. I really wasn't expecting Candy King to be that guy, nor was I expecting glitch girl to be anything but.

tell me one person Ralph changed.

. . .

Every character in the movie that experiences any change during its course owes it to Ralph. In the absence of Ralph, Calhoun would've gone on squiring the First Person Shooter to the top of the tower. Felix would've gone on doing what he'd done for the last thirty years, completely oblivious to any other point of view but his own. Vanellope would've kept squatting in the abandoned bonus level, and King Candy would've kept on running the show in Sugar Rush. Everything changed because Ralph went on a walkabout.

His goal wasn't to get the medal; his goal was to be accepted and appreciated, like the hero of his game. He thought that meant hanging out with the little civillians in the penthouse, and, according to the terms of the dare, that meant getting a medal. The medal was a means to an end. His needs are more complex than better accomodations.

That's why getting the medal isn't the end of it. He has some growing to do. He's going about getting what he wants by making selfish decisions and executing them with his characteristic clumsiness. He steals a suit of body armor. He sneaks into another game. Once the game is shut down and the danger is past, he climbs the dormant tower and burgles the medal, and then contaminates another game making his getaway, losing the medal in the process. His quest is a failure.

He didn't fail because he lost the medal; he failed because he didn't earn it. He's still not a hero; he's a villain on a walkabout whose selfish villainy (which, like most of the very best villains is a goal the audience can easily identify and sympathize with) has made a mess so big it threatens to destroy his entire world.

Then he meets the misfit denizen of the first world he's inadvertently doomed. He gets to know her, develops sympathy for her and becomes her champion. Now he has begun his true quest. Ralph discovers more about his new friend, and puts her safety before his friendship. At this point he has sacrificed one of the things he sought (acceptance and admiration) for the sake of someone else.

Then Ralph hits his low, faces his most daunting challenge. He finds out more of the truth of what he's done, and is confronted with a whole damned lot of evidence to support all of the conclusions people have been jumping to for the last thirty years. He is shown that yes, he's a villain. Like it or not, he's a clumsy, selfish, destructive monster.

That's where the story pivots. Right there in Ralph's head. He has been making decisions that have changed the world around him up to that point, bringing it to the brink of ruin, and now he has to change himself. So he does. Instead of going on a selfish quest to bring back proof that he deserves some respect, he sets out to save everyone. He's the hero now.

Then stuff happens, more stuff is revealed, he propels the other characters toward the resolutions his initial disruptive behavior set into motion. He makes his heroic sacrifice, and wins the day. He has earned acceptance and understanding and, through heroic action, the fulfilment of heroism.

In the end he goes back to living in the dump and getting tossed off a building every day, but everything is different at that point. He has improved the lives of everyone around him except for the other villain. In the process of cleaning up his own mess, he earns what he stole. That's what fills the hole in his life.

Turbo changed the things around him for selfish reasons. He got a kingdom, got to rule another racing game, but his life still sucked and it ended badly. Ralph changed himself. He redeemed himself, and everyone's lives became better for it.
The whole story pivots on Ralph. Ralph changes everything.

And wait - Uhura translates the Romulan language.

And that would mean something if the Romulans actually spoke Romulan.

Pike: You. You speak Romulan?
Uhura: Uhura, sir. All three dialects.

Later......

Uhura: We're being hailed.
Nero: *in english* HELLO!

She helps Spock when his planet goes kaplooey.

But not after he is verbally insulted by Kirk in front of the whole crew and relieves himself from command for being emotionally compromised, which means her earlier attempt to help him was for nothing. And while the film does try to portray their relationship as a 'real thing', it does seem kind of awkward that after Spock leaves Starfleet to help the last remaining Vulcans in their struggle to rebuild their society and culture that she would happily ditch him for her spot on the bridge. Because if there is one thing the Enterprise needs, it's three communication officers.

She is the only female in the movie who Kirk must earn respect from.

Yeah, because Uhura was up against some steep competition with the other female characters that were killed (Gaila and Amanda) and written out of the movie (Winona).

*At Kirk's celebration*
Pike: Your father would be proud.

Because if your mother isn't an emotionnal anchor, she isn't worth crap compared to the tried and true father figure.

Back to Wreck-It Ralph, it's not about who has the spot light the most, it's about what really mattered to both of these characters in the end.

FRIENDSHIP

And it was a wonderful friendship story.

I will take ANY Disney or Pixar animated film over any other that is created by Sony, Dreamworks, etc. with the exception of Blue Sky!!!

Most of the animated stuff coming out is garbage!!! Far too much potty humor and very little genuine humor.

John Lasseter had his final blessing on Wreck It Ralph and that why to me it has that Pixar feel. Humor that is for both kids and adults. Also some humor that is embedded into the movie that really only adults can understand if you catch it. That is the Pixar way of delivering humor in their movies.

You are only proving my point when it comes to the Uhura example - she could have been taken outof the film and you wouldn't have noticed - same goes for Ralph in his own movie.

My point was and or is that there was no journey - this is why most feel the story felt bogged down or dragged once we got to Sugar World. The characters need to grow and change or you're just watching a light show. And it doesn't matter if a story focuses on Friendship, time travel, or killer tomatoes - story structure remains the same. This one failed IMO..

Just saw this movie today (I know, so late but I just got it here in Japan). I LOVED it!!

I am a big video game nerd to see how they handled everything was amazing. I love the way they travel between games.

I'm for sure getting this on dvd when it comes out if for nothing else than all the old school character cameos. I saw some of the posters for the film and surprisingly they give a good bit of space on them to Qbert and the ghost from Pacman.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back