Wreck-It Ralph (Post-release)

I'm hoping they do merchandising with the older game characters so we finally have some toys of Qbert and such lol. Hard to believe Kano's in a Disney movie, how mainstream has Mortal Kombat become?

Just came back from the movies and I loved it. I wish Calhoun would've had more screen time but I enjoyed her in the scenes she was in. I think her tracker would make a sweet iPhone case; found my next project!
There were so many cameos that I couldn't keep up with them all! I'm sure each viewing would find a different character every time!
There was a bit of an Iron Giant moment that I thought was touching, but kind of took me out a bit as that's what it instantly reminded me of.
Sarah Silverman's voice acting was superb and at times I completely forgot it was her.
Overall I liked the concept and actually hope they do some sort of spin off with Hero's Duty and Calhoun; really enjoyed her character. Also, the song Panic Switch kept on playing through my head a lot during the film, :lol

The movie was Turbo-tastic!! :lol

I loved how all the characters stories were well thought out, especially Calhoun's (She was definitely ready the second time:lol)

I saw this at the weekend and thought it was great too, loads of nods to older games and plenty of humor for adults as well as the kids.

I was hoping for a little more "game worlds" that I would recognize such as a sonic or mario world but overall I was happy with the movie.

3.5/5

Saw it today and what a mess this movie is. This is what you call a script by committee. The background visuals were fantastic but when it came to character journey the movie fails all over the place. The first problem is this is not Ralph's movie. His character has no arc or moment of self realization as he pretty much stays the same from beginning to end and achieves his goal getting a metal very early on. If anything they should have had Ralph start off as a bad guy who wants to be good - but like Fix It, he can't help but be what he was created to be - this could lead to him needing to rework his code, but that becomes a goal of the little girl instead. They bait and switched the main character for a supporting one and granted the inner journey and goals for her to accomplish. Once we enter the world of Sugar Rush Ralph does nothing - not really. It's her story - which I wouldn't have minded if Disney had only been honest and upfront about it.

/\ I agree Jet. I tried to explain this movie to my wife and it took me 10 minutes to explain the subplots, back story, etc.

Other than the nods to other games, this one was not a good movie.

It's her story

Pity that description is used as a negative. She's a sweet, likable, well rounded and masterfully acted character who I did not mind stealing the spot light. She certainly puts Chris Pine's Jack Frost's character to complete shame in the "should I care?" factor.

which I wouldn't have minded if Disney had only been honest and upfront about it.

Why? It worked for Back to the Future and it sure worked for me here.

I tried to explain this movie to my wife and it took me 10 minutes to explain the subplots, back story, etc.

Did your wife see it?

I got dragged to the theater by my family to see this and I liked it. I thought it made total sense. He pretty much accepted who he was at the end.

And of course Ralph got the acceptance he wanted for his role in the game.

It was fun but I would have enjoyed more worlds..maybe more nintendo cameos. WHere was mario? He was mentioned but never seen. Donkey Kong would have been cool too. I guess Nintendo is a home console so that makes sense, but Donkey Kong was a big game in arcades.

Seeing the quick time progression of the arcade was cool. I spotted the Star Wars arcade machine and a few others.

Pity that description is used as a negative. She's a sweet, likable, well rounded and masterfully acted character who I did not mind stealing the spot light. She certainly puts Chris Pine's Jack Frost's character to complete shame in the "should I care?" factor.

Yep - she was all those things - it's not too much to ask that your main character is crafted with as much care and attention.

<<Why? It worked for Back to the Future and it sure worked for me here.>>>

No. You basically have two kinds of characters in film - those who invoke change and those who are changed by surrounding characters or events, Marty invoked change in all those around him. He taught his father to stand up for himself, taught his mother to be more open, gave Doc (in 1955) something to shoot for and say "what the hell." and read the letter that would save his life - heck, the guy invented Rock and Roll - tell me one person Ralph changed. Not Felix. Not the girl. He's simply there.

This was sold as a boy's movie that quickly changed to an episode of Strawberry Shortcake - there's nothing wrong with Strawberry Shortcake, but I wonder how many people would have seen a movie that was sold with the pitch "Meet Glitch. She lives in a land of candy and wants to be a racer -- there's only one problem, none of the other girls want Glitch in the race because she keeps blinking in and out of the program. Well, she's going to prove that even the sweetest tooth has BITE." This is basically what we got from a trailer that shows a guy wrecking buildings who has an entire arcade to travel through searching for a way he can fit in as a hero.

Oh, and the reason Mario and Donkey Kong were taken out of the movie (they were there at one point) was because they used their basic design for Felix and Ralph - even the game looked like Donkey Kong.

I took my family to see it also and aside from visuals I also was meh about it. And ya I almost napped in a few spots. Seeing some old school characters was cool but that was about it for me. I was told Nintendo wanted to much money for Mario but agree it basically was a remade donkey kong

Looks like they finally may have reached the level of Pixar's story telling.

Its only because John Lasseter of PIXAR is producing and is part of their animation department heads. Also if you read the credits it also gives thanks to the brainstorms of Pixars' team. Disney on its own will never reach the level of story telling Pixar has achieved...in my opinion.

i'll pick this one up when it's 13.99 at walmart i think. I'm amazed they didn't make action figures for this given all the marketable characters, but then again with the retro characters it might be a licensing nightmare.

i'll pick this one up when it's 13.99 at walmart i think. I'm amazed they didn't make action figures for this given all the marketable characters, but then again with the retro characters it might be a licensing nightmare.

In last Sunday's Paper, Walmart, Toys R Us or Target are already advertising action figures from the film

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back