WIP first Iron Man Mark III (plastic-coated) foam build: Getting a bit pic heavy

Re: WIP first Iron Man foam build+knowledge share

hah thanks dude I love the mk vi! I can't totally tell but the sheen clear coat looks pretty good! is that duplicolor paint?

man thanks for all the good info that's great

hah thanks dude I love the mk vi! I can't totally tell but the sheen clear coat looks pretty good! is that duplicolor paint?

man thanks for all the good info that's great

Well, you can see the light reflecting off the pieces that have gloss. The chest isn't reflecting light so it's very flat and non-metallic looking. Yeah those are duplicolor paints... dark cherry metallic red and sunburst gold.

ok, here you go man, these were taken within about 10 mins of painting the 321 on there...

just took these so you can see the bubbles/brush strokes, lack there of...
you can see on the hip pod how it is kind of patchy, I will probably just glaze over it, if I do sand, it'll be pretty minimal... I'm not going for a super polished look, as long as it is smooth and plasticky I'm good:

19af16d3.jpg

b6c8694f.jpg

1b1d8a17.jpg

91348b62.jpg

9e01729b.jpg

Thanks! Wow that's some nice work. How long did that piece take you?

each coat takes under 5 minutes I'd say. By the way... I would say DO sand if you plan on doing a second coat, especially on areas that seem thick-ish, that second coat has to have something to bite into... that's probably a moot point. Thanks dude!

good job kurt!!!! how do u make ur pcs so clean?? lol

hah trust me the lower back is ridiculous, did it from scratch. I did alot of taping, and took way too much time haaa it's far from perfect but not bad for foam

thanks man!!:D

not new to this(just the forum) that is really nice. and way you did the layer with paint and other ingredients

By the color ithought that was mdf wood, good thing i kept reading LOL

only thing that will get you after finish the suit and such are steps.. those are evil things in full outfits.

this looks just as good as a pep suit!! i may have missed it somewhere, but did you say what kind of foam you used?

this looks just as good as a pep suit!! i may have missed it somewhere, but did you say what kind of foam you used?

HAH! there are definitely parts of it that look pretty close, there are still edges and minute warping that I need to work out to make it look even closer. BUT I will say that I'm ok with it being a little bit rough around the edges!

The foam is mostly 6mm eva foam from "wandy foam" on ebay. That is, the Light tan and the black. I highly recommend the light tan. I don't know how people work with dark gray or black, you can't see your lines when cutting! The white foam is 6mm Darice foamies I got from Joann.com. The Light tan cuts the best out of all of them, but they are all good.On the upper thigh front piece and on the abs, I also used 4mm (gray) wandy foam, 3mm darice foamies (the white on the abs) and the neck and some details are from 2mm foamies. I get all of my foamies from Joann.com or the one here locally.
thanks for the compliments!

only thing that will get you after finish the suit and such are steps.. those are evil things in full outfits.

Yes, I know it's kind of making me reconsider my method for attaching the legs, etc.

By the color ithought that was mdf wood, good thing i kept reading LOL

haha not sure what that is but I hope it's good:)

Last edited:

Might me easier if you don't attach the legs together. I've done both ways and I prefer non-attached. More mobility and you won't have your pieces torquing at each other. At one point I thought I ripped my foam but all that happend was the screw came out. Or you could use elastic to attache the quad to the shin. I did that with my bicep/forearm piece for my fiberglass build cause i couldn't move my arms very well with those pieces binded together. I don't think it makes much of a difference visually.

Binded Legs
301717_10101001397363484_1826920078_n.jpg

Unbinded legs
483147_10101065559906234_425877860_n.jpg

529072_10101065560370304_425812896_n.jpg

ok here's the left thigh, I could have sanded a little better... and I will still go back in with a little battle damage and fix up some seams. as usual, that red is a bit deeper haha

this is from laying the gold down to masking off for the red... to pics of the finish

07ebd459.jpg

29f52215.jpg

01fafeb6.jpg

d67b21f0.jpg

b47e4589.jpg

19a09438.jpg

fairly pleased.

Might me easier if you don't attach the legs together. I've done both ways and I prefer non-attached. More mobility and you won't have your pieces torquing at each other. At one point I thought I ripped my foam but all that happend was the screw came out. Or you could use elastic to attache the quad to the shin. I did that with my bicep/forearm piece for my fiberglass build cause i couldn't move my arms very well with those pieces binded together. I don't think it makes much of a difference visually.

whoa cool I didn't even think of elastic thanks dude! so you installed some strips around the area where the chicago screws go, I take it?

man that suit is great haha! nice attention to detail it's crazy

whoa cool I didn't even think of elastic thanks dude! so you installed some strips around the area where the chicago screws go, I take it?

man that suit is great haha! nice attention to detail it's crazy

Hhahah thanks man. I didn't count on a foam suit looking like spectacular or anything but it ended up okay. So for the pictures of the mk iv above there are chicago screws on the arms since the foam suit has some flex, but the legs didn't have much. The legs are separate and the shin piece is actually just sitting on top of the boots. If I wasn't lazy I would have attached them with elastic. Oh you can also notice from the before and after picture I cut of the part of the shin that attaches to the thigh (the circular part).

On my stealth suit here, you can see a hole on the lower part of the bicep where the chicago screw used to be before I replaced it with elastic for more mobility. If i wasn't lazy I would have filled the hole with body filler.
417337_10101116012399034_2059015016_n.jpg

Hhahah thanks man. I didn't count on a foam suit looking like spectacular or anything but it ended up okay. So for the pictures of the mk iv above there are chicago screws on the arms since the foam suit has some flex, but the legs didn't have much. The legs are separate and the shin piece is actually just sitting on top of the boots. If I wasn't lazy I would have attached them with elastic. Oh you can also notice from the before and after picture I cut of the part of the shin that attaches to the thigh (the circular part).

On my stealth suit here, you can see a hole on the lower part of the bicep where the chicago screw used to be before I replaced it with elastic for more mobility. If i wasn't lazy I would have filled the hole with body filler.

dude, even though that suit is blue, it's technically one of the best I've ever seen... wow.

By the way have you heard of this material... I think it's like "cross linked polyethelene" or "foam assisted rubber" or something? Supposedly the material crocs are made of? I hear its good. anyway thanks again!(y)thumbsup

dude, even though that suit is blue, it's technically one of the best I've ever seen... wow.

By the way have you heard of this material... I think it's like "cross linked polyethelene" or "foam assisted rubber" or something? Supposedly the material crocs are made of? I hear its good. anyway thanks again!(y)thumbsup

Hahah thanks man, but it just may be the pictures covering up blemishes. There are other suits way better. Oh yeah, and what's wrong with blue? Hhaha Tony Stark can have blue armor!

The Stealth Iron Man Comiquette | Sideshow Collectibles

I actually just bought a sheet to test out but I haven't worked with it yet =P...Looks like the material you're working with is getting some pretty good results though. I've been working on making more casts of my helmets so I haven't had time to test.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back