What movies deeply impacted you or spoke to you?

The first Indy movie i remember seeing was Temple Of Doom and it stuck with me as a kid to the point dad got me a little fedora and we'd go fossil and arrow head hunting. That movie got me interested in history and the way he plays an older character who still hasn't' lost a sense of wonder and amazement with the things he finds really stuck with me tool.

For me it was:

Beautiful Girls: This movie just hit home with me about growing older and reflecting on your youth and "coming home". I felt it was one of the most genuine movies I've ever seen.

That one didn't have a profound impact on me (maybe I am just not there yet), but I thought that was an absolute stand-out movie.

For me: "Somewhere in Time"
Chris Reeve and Jane Seymor - favorite (not best)
Nice music score: Rhapsody on theme of Pagannini-Rachmaninov (very,very good)
Time travel: a bit of Sci-fy (like)
Love story: my first drama movie that I like (really like, ever).

Something that almost close to this is The time traveler's wife, as for the storyline attractiveness only. Or Curious case of Benjamin Button.

Second to that: "Ferris Bueller's days off"
Good kid, bad ideas. That movies makes me keeping good grades, but added a bit "behaviour" (so I can walkaway from "the mess" I did). But I never stole a Ferrari (yet).

The Shawshank Redemption - the message, for me, was that no matter how bad life gets, don't give up hope.

Click - not the best movie, but the scene where he's seeing his father for the last time and pushes him away left me sobbing. A gentle reminder to not skip through life, only looking for the highs, but to enjoy the entire journey.

ALIENS
When you're six years old growing up with Arnold, Stallone and all the other male focused action movies, you kind of get the idea that this is how genders should word. ALIENS took that concept and blew it out the water. All throughout the film I was wondering why this lady was the focus of the film and why the other guys weren't taking charge. The biggest and most important moment that I will never forget is when that lady gets into the elevator alone and gears up. Pulserifle strapped to a flamethrower herself covered in grenades. Yeah, ladies can do that to.

Star Wars: Episode III
"She's lost the will to live." is a line that will forever be engraved in my mind as not only the reason I stopped caring about ALL STAR WARS in general, but also made me more aware of how women are treated in many mediums. Padme was not some hopeless romantic girl that Anakin just stumbled across on the street. She was the Queen of an entire planet! In one entire movie, she manages to fool the Federation, turn the entire senate against a galactic chancellor, make peace with the hateful Gungans, wage war against the Trade Federation with a mere police force and WIN. In Episode III, she's reduced to a character who's sole purpose is to be in love with Anakin. There is not one scene with her where she doesn't go on about Anakin this or Anakin that. It's like she has zero interest in anything else but loving this mass murdering jerk. And when the galaxy turns to chaos and the oppressed citizens seek capable leaders who will stand up for them, she decides to just give up and die.... AFTER GIVING BIRTH TO TWINS. So if anyone has ever wondered why I'm so insistent on the treatment of female characters in anything, there's your answer.

Back to the Future
Have you ever tried writing a story where you had to make sure everything you did was worth something, and that you weren't simply padding out the story with pointless nonsense just to make it longer? Well, Back to the Future is the perfect example of a film where EVERYTHING you see, hear and experience is not wasted. Everything is relevant and will pay off in ways you probably won't expect. One example of the writers figuring out how something should work is the "Save the Clock Tower" flyer. Is there any teenager out there who would want to keep a flyer for something he or she doesn't care about? The story needs Marty to keep this flyer! Having him not be a litterbug isn't enough. Writer's solution? Have his girlfriend Jennifer write down a number that Marty doesn't know on the flyer since she's going out to her grandmas. It fits! Todays writers? Promote Kirk from academy student to first officer on the spot and give him command of the Enterprise in the end. Why? Because he's Kirk. :thumbsdown

Did I mention the movie is fun, has an incredible score by Alan Silvestri and probably has the best performances of any actor in the film.

Jaws

Summer of '42 ... that movie still gets me depressed...makes you relive first love and lost love in a way that we have all felt as adolescents...beautifully shot on Martha's Vineyard / Cape Cod in the early 70's...maybe not the best editing but if you have never seen it must be seen at least once.

Gross Anatomy, it's an 80's movie but if you like greys anatomy or er kinda stuff, it's a must watch.

The never ending story. It was the first movie my parents rented just for me when I was 8 and I just loved it. I must admit even as an adult with kids of my own now I still like it and so do they.

The breakfast club. Yes, I grew up in the 80's and this was a must watch movie. They practically brought it to your house and made you watch it.

The outsiders, classic classic movie. About a hundred stars got there start in this movie.

Empire Records: Many, many moons ago, I worked for a major music retail chain and I swear I was watching a typical day at work on the screen with celebrities as the store's staff. A bit over dramatized as movies tend to be but it was the best example I've experienced of art imitating life. Just talking about it brings back crazy memories.

Top Gun: I was already in a model airplane phase and this movie sent me over the top. My room was hanging with F-14s, F-15s, MiG-28s and all other sorts of fighter jets soon after. And who can forget "Danger Zone"? And to this day, I still quote from the movie particularly the line, "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full", whenever a co-worker asks me for something that I don't have readily available.

Star Wars and ESB

Cool Hand Luke

Schindler's List......The scenes with the girl in the red/pink coat just tore my heart out.

Up gets me really bad too, having lost a child the scenes in the very beginning with the couple just tear me up.

I'll echo Star Wars, ESB, and ROTJ... too numerous in reasons why. Star Wars and ESB were part of my life as long as I can remember (born '76), and I remember waiting for ROTJ in line for hours only to have the entire first night sold out when we were feet away. These movies made me who I am in a way. I identified with Luke so much in the way he wanted to know his father. While mine was still a random part of my life at that time, I cherished every moment and really looked up to him and wanted to know more about him like Luke. "I wish I'd known him" stuck with me.

Also Raiders and Temple of Doom. They fueled my imagination along with the SW trilogy.

Other notables:

Goonies: Always love this movie for imagination and adventure. I always longed for friends you could count on. Didn't get those until adulthood.

Red Dawn: Seeing kids stand up in the face of overwhelming odds gave me a sense of defiance.

E.T. : I cannot NOT cry like a baby when E.T. leaves.

Contact : I love the message of faith, whether you regard that religious or just faith in something you cannot see, as well as the concept of a universal need to not be alone.

Forrest Gump: I must have seen this about 10 times in the theater by myself. The scope of it, and also the poignant innocence of his character drew me in. I lost it when he was at Jenny's grave... but the simple scene that always makes me choke up is when he sees his son for the first time and is worried he wouldn't be smart.

The Crow: I can't explain why, but I must have seen it 7-10 times in the theater when it came out. Something about Brandon Lee's portrayal of a tortured soul and his charisma and persona really captured me.

Legends of the Fall: The family love I never had, the self sacrifice and mind set of Samuel always conflicted me. I admired his blind sense of duty, but abhorred at the same time. The tragedy and triumph wrapped into and epic tale with superb acting on all fronts.

Saving Private Ryan: Seeing the opening the first time immersed me to such a high degree. I really appreciated what those men went through. Horrific, heroic, terrifying.

Blade Runner: The message of a will to live wrapped up in a sci fi setting. For some reason Rutger Hauer's line :"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like ....tears... in... rain. Time... to die..." just is such an odd high note. So much is wrapped up into that short exchange.

Prometheus (2012) - You can hate on this film all you want for not being yet another "aliens escape and run amok" film, but I went into this movie not knowing what to expect, expecting to be disappointed, and walked out completely blown away. This movie touched on a lot of subjects that tie into my worldview and touched on or around a lot of things I believe. It didn't ridicule. It didn't do the typical Hollywood thing. It didn't fall into a number of potential cliches and best of all, it made me THINK. I haven't seen a movie in a long long time that sparked my imagination in the way this movie did. Is it a perfect movie? No, but it is more interesting and more thought provoking than anything I have seen in years!

Ditto. I think the main reason this movie is so reviled is because it committed the cardinal sin of asking the audience to turn on their minds.

But to answer your question: The Third Man changed my life back in 1999, during its fiftieth anniversary.

Harold & Kumar go to... uh nevermind

Terminator, believe it or not. Both of them.
Jurassic Park.. don't think anything will surpass the sight of a real T-rex eat "some dude on a toilet" at the age of 9, right after learning about Dinosaurs at school.
Superman: The Movie You'll Believe a Man Can Fly - the flying and THE music

Pretty much any John Williams themed film equals deep impact :)

Das Boot: The bad guys are people too.

Jurassic Park, Star Wars, BTTF: I credit these three films for being the reason I'm in the industry. :)

'A Serbian Film' I wish I could unwatch that movie.

'The Road' where it's nowhere near as good as the book I can't help thinking about myself and daughter in the same situation.

'Quadrophenia' changed my life for ever after seeing it as an impressionable 14 year old. Had a Lambretta ever since.

Lord of the rings: Even when watching documentaries of when they made it, it gave me an even greater love for the movies from seeing how dedicated they all were and how much they loved being part of that project.

Forest Gump - emotional impact when my wife and I saw it together.

Lord of the Rings - the opening scenes were so totally reminiscent of the farm I grew up on, about 40 miles from 'Hobbiton'.

Superman Returns - nothing can compare to the feeling of my son taking me to this movie in Wellington, where we sat in the 'elite' seats and enjoyed our time together. He's been a Superman freak ever since I showed him the VHS of Superman in about 1986. He's grown up now, and we often talk about our favourite movies, and share a common interest in building Star wars helmets and props. My father - my son's grandad - passed away two weeks ago, and it's made me even more aware of the value of time spent with our children, made even more special by shared interests.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back