War of the Worlds (BBC) 2019

Can’t wait. Know a few people working on this so had high hopes that it was being done right. And it does seem to be.

Looks cool, but they are taking some liberties. But what adaptation hasn't.

Will be interesting to see if they will finally do the martians as written in the book justice.

I’ve been so looking forward to a proper adaptation that’s not contemporary but set back in the Victorian era. The core of the story is the technical superiority of the martians and with modern warfare all you can do is pull the “they have impenetrable shields” plot armor card.
Not too crazy about the fighting machine design but the again I’m extremely biased towards the Michael Trim design.
Looking forward to seeing this!

I agree, the fighting machine design is a bit too on trend for today’s generic Martian machines, but I can live with it.

How can I watch this in the US?

I’m not very up on British Broadcasting options in the US.

I dunno. I'll probably have to wait 'til it hits netflix or DVD.
I'm just glad it exists.

I do wish the tripods had a bit more of a steampunk aesthetic, but, like Oxford said, I can live with it.

Always wanted to see a more faithful depiction of the tripod and their walking style as described in the book - always too legs up in the air when walking.

But there was a page I frequented some years ago, when a poorly made version of WotW was made, where people posted that the WW1/WW2 style military outfits were wrong for the period and they should have worn "blue" uniforms. I'm not entirely sure about the details, but it could have been interesting to go with a more age-accurate look than the familiar to the mainstream audience British World War military uniforms. I remember they also posted vintage pictures of the actual locations described in the book, but I sadly didn't think of saving them until they were gone. Bummer.

im quite underwhelmed by the trailer tbh, i'll give it a chance tho, mainly because eleanor thomlinson is in it, and she was good in Poldark,
but i'm bored with tripods, i was so hoping for flying lamp posts, is it to much to ask for flying lamp posts, :(

War-of-the-Worlds.jpg

This appears to be a "period piece" adaptation of the book by H. G. Wells, first published in 1897.
The flying machines were a George Pal invention for his 1953 "modernized" adaptation.

I do wish they'd stuck with the copper/green of the Pal ships, though.
Looks more martian (and Victorian) to me than steel-grey/blue.

Last edited:
yeah, looks like they are sticking very close to the source material, but i suppose the alien/tech design is the one thing that could possibly have a completely different maybe more extreme design, and still look cool, even more different to the tripod design, considering they are advanced martians in a "victorian" setting
i guess i just like the pal ships better, :)

Apparently they moved it up a bit, to Edwardian Britain. Maybe we're going to get WW1 tensions or biplane attacks? Also not loving the meh tripod design. I guess we're never going to see the heat ray as a separate weapon as Welles described it.

war-of-the-worlds-3.jpg

My problem with the fighting machine design that it’s almost featureless and those blue LED-like lights make it kind of odd-one out. I really didn’t like the Spielberg movie but I liked the tripod designs. But as said it’ll always be the Trim design for me, got that imprinted as a kid.

My problem with the fighting machine design that it’s almost featureless and those blue LED-like lights make it kind of odd-one out. I really didn’t like the Spielberg movie but I liked the tripod designs. But as said it’ll always be the Trim design for me, got that imprinted as a kid.

Yeah, same. Awesome live, too, when the full-size one comes down on the stage and starts blasting the audience.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back