Van Halen 5150 Kramer guitar replica - FINISHED! Pix on page 2

Can we get pics of the real one for comparison???

I think I posted a couple pix of the real one on page 1, but here you go:

evh5150a.jpg

evh5150b.jpg

Sorry, so many pics on that page that I was too impatient to wait. :) Looks sweet, now just find Eddie and get him to sign it!!!

Brad

Bizarre state of rock n roll these days, Eddie is currently not allowed to sign guitars other than the Peavey ones he endorses and the Charvel artist series guitars he also has licensed. He can't even sign the old guitars he used to endorse, like this Kramer or the Musicman one he designed. Last time i saw him, I wanted him to sign an old Sears catalog guitar that had been my first guitar (and had a red paint job with white stripes), told him how he had inspired me to learn guitar on that one as a kid, and he looked really sad and said he'd love to sign it but wasn't allowed to. Frak. So he signed a CD of mine instead.

Now all you need is some "Poster Tack" from the eighties and you'll be all set. I don't know where one would find white/grey poster tack these days, since all the colleges mandate blue "easy-off" style and 3M doesn't make the heavy duty anymore to my knowledge.

Great guitar, nicely done. Makes me want to dust off the one I started 10 years ago and never finished.

One of my friends said Eddie didn't clearcoat his guitars because it affected the tone? Truth?

He didn't clearcoat his guitars because he used spare automotive spraypaint that was laying around from Dave and Michael (who both worked on muscle cars all the time) and they didn't have clearcoat usually. Also, he never used cases for his guitars - just threw them in the back of his pickup truck and let them slide around and get dinged up, so he probably figured a clearcoat would just be one more layer to scrape up, and why bother. Most of that wear you see on his guitar is not from playing, but from transportation in an open truck bed...

Just an update... I've had significant numbers inquiries into this guitar, so I'm am considering doing a small run of them. Will be limited to however many people place an order, not going to do extras and then have them for sale. EVH lawyers abound to pounce on makers of replicas, even though there has not been a licensed producer of thsi guitar since 1991. Am posting an interest thread in the Junkyard.

Re: Van Halen 5150 Kramer guitar replica - WIP

What did you use to seal the wood?? I have access to sanding sealer but I found that clear lacquer will not take to it not sure about car paint .. I just pick up a neck and body off ebay and plan to do the same as you did
its a little diff looking but still will be cool.

Krylon wood primer from Home Depot. Nice thick coat, sand it down but leave it a little rough, then the Krylon auto paint sticks to it nicely.

Yes, and then I can try to run up and hand the President a chocolate handgun!

Or else, I can just avoid the whole EVH rabid lawyer thing and keep a low profile. :)

I don't think they will raise a legal fuss over your guitar.

I made a replica of Springsteen's beat up Esquire about 20 years ago and sent him a pic. Didn't get a response from him directly, but someone in his camp sent me a note saying Bruce saw the pic and thought it was cool.

Here's mine

Here's Bruces:

Go ahead and send Eddie a pic.

My work so far thanks for posting your project it inspired me to get off my butt and do one, its not a exact 5150 but Im happy with the way its turning out
attachment.php

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back