Stevie Ray Vaughan's "First Wife" Number One Guitar Replica

"LENNY!"

Your replica is stunning already. I'm really enjoying the progress.

Are you going to engrave the pickguard?

Cheers.

I have this set on one of my strats, and while lovely and exactly what I was looking for, they definitely read as a cream colored new plastic instead of aged without further work being done. I haven't attempted to age them further, but I do think it'd be easier to start with something like this than a true white set.

Don't see too many guitar replicas on here, I love the progress so far!

Those I have... There are actually various shades of yellow / cream available.

I have both original Fender knobs, plus some no-name products. The Fender knobs, to my eye, read a bit too rich, so I'm settled in on one of the no-name products (actually have a name - its "Kaisch").

This pic, honestly, I do not know which product it is!

I'll do some comparison shots soon.

SRV 065.jpg

OK here's a look - from left:
--Original white knobs from kit
--Original knobs with an off-white paint
--Kaisch brand (that I prefer)
--Original Fender "aged" knobs (noted the lettering is smaller)

SRV 053.jpg

The knobs I'm using (Kaisch - third from left) alson came with pick-up covers in the same plastic.

Unfortunately, the spacing of the six holes was slightly off, so I was relegated to painting the original kit pick-up covers with a close-enough color, and wet-sand the painted surface to 3,000-grit.

Love the effort you're spending at reproducing that iconic axe. :cool: :cool: (y) (y) What about the state of the neck and the frets?

Purchased genuine Fender gold-plated; pearl-headed tuning keys.

But overall, am holding off on the neck until the body is complete (which is close).

I will replicate the prominent, near-iconic stains on the headstock (though the kit has a slightly differently shaped headstock), and will add the proper Fender logo. For the backside of the neck, I may just do some general staining.

Of note, the actual guitar has considerable physical damage, beyond just worn off paint. Dings, gouges, dents, etcetera.

My representation will be largely one-dimensional, with any physical damage mostly suggested through paint, pens, and pencils.

Here are some shots of the headstock with the tuning keys installed.

Will also likely remove one of the string trees, and relocate the remaining to match SRV's.

SRV 063.jpg

SRV 062.jpg

Very cool. The only think I would suggest is to try and fade the black on the body a little more. A sunburst guitar should have a pretty smooth progression of paint and you kind of see a blank line in yours.

Stevie Ray’s guitar

4ECE9723-F00A-44DA-AF3F-684C21997BD3.jpeg

Yours

BC64F066-152F-4D4A-BC15-99B303F6D17E.jpeg

I do have to ask, why did you choose that headstock shape? It’s a shame that with all the work you are doing all this work to duplicate things, you wouldn’t choose to have the correct Fender headstock shape, which is one of the most important parts of the guitar. :unsure:

On the color fading, yeah that's been a bit of a trick. Its better now than in that image, but not ideal.

On the headstock, it is what came with the kit, and hence "is what it is"... :confused:
Ah, gotch!

You could pick one up pretty cheap on Amazon.

3608325A-65A6-4A86-B23F-E89E96DE9EA1.jpeg
285B0559-3007-4D8A-941C-049056A74E60.jpeg

Search

Boxwizard Electric Guitar Neck 22 Fret Maple Fretboard Guitar Neck for ST Style Guitar DIY Parts Replacement​

And to find other similar ones search: Fender style headstock guitar neck.

Thanks - that I did (search by "Fender style"), and didn't fond those, so thank you!

Here's a look at the pick-up covers.

Again, the Kaish knobs came with matching covers, but the hole spacing was off a bit.

So I have had to spray the original kit pick-up covers with a Rust-o-leum Almond.

SRV 054.jpg

SRV 055.jpg

SRV 056.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back