I've never heard of such a scan, where'd you come across that?

That was the scan Lucasfilm did,....which they added the SE effects onto in 97,.......a scan which THEY did !!!,.....then handed that transfer years later to Lowry Digital to digitally clean & enhance,....(normally Lowry do a higher res scan themselves & clean that up)......so thats why the 97 SE looks pretty nice as far as colours go,....but after Lowry touched up the files the films have crushed blacks & a blue tone,......thats whats on the Blu-Rays

If you look at the Reliance MediaWorks footage you'll see that there is now detail & tone in the dark areas & the colours are much more vibrant,....thats because they did a new 4K scan from 'a' original source,....likely for the shelved 3D release

[video=vimeo;95919913]https://vimeo.com/95919913[/video]

...also check out the work of Mike Verta,.....who has been doing some private work cleaning up a scan of the original film,.....he shows the differences in quality between original colours of the first DVD (original unaltered).....the SE BD's....the Reliance MediaWorks & his own scan

[video=vimeo;123475322]https://vimeo.com/123475322[/video]

Exciting isn't it,....just knowing theres a pristine copy of the original film with no SE changes,....but will we ever own copies?

J

Last edited:
I would love a copy of the original movies without all of the additions of the special editions, and at the same time, would appreciate if they cleaned up some of the special effect shots and color corrections. I don't need the HORRIBLE Jabba scene in ANH, expanded cloud city scape in ESB, or the the bird beak sarlac pit in ROTJ, or the changed dance in Jaba's palace.
That would be okay with me but, to be honest, I just want a version I can watch without needing a magnifying glass. I have the releases in which the theatrical versions were on a "bonus" disc, and when I played them with our DVD player they were letterboxed but otherwise filled the screen rather well. Then we got a Blu-Ray player, and suddenly there's 10" of black, unused screen surrounding the frame. And, yes, I've tried changing every option available, which did absolutely nothing. Big screen TV, relatively tiny image. :angry

I love the Harmy versions. Looks incredible on my tv. The MKV file is about 18 gigs for the non-ANH.

indeed, the very same source for the 97 special edition is also the source for the dvd and the blu-rays. :wacko

Sorry, source?

(that said, I'm going to give the following info also without quoting a source. ;) )

In 1993 they had a standard definition video transfer made to use for the Definitive Collection laserdiscs (well, two transfers, a letterboxed one and a pan-and-scan). A crude, smeary digital noise reduction setting was used on the fly during the transfer, thus those artifacts were "baked in" to the master. That master was used for all subsequent home video releases until the SE (and was used for the "bonus feature" unaltered OT DVDs in 2006). This transfer was made from an interpositive struck from the original negative (ON) in 1985. Until 1996, that had been the last time the ON had ever been brought out the vault.

In preparation for the 20th Anniversary re-release, the ON was retrieved and found to be in horrible condition. Much of it was shot using a stock that turned out to be unstable, and had turned magenta. An extensive physical restoration was done that consisted of cleaning by hand, baths, etc, and they did what they could chemically to bring back the color. But a lot of it was unrecoverable, so a Technicolor print from '77 in George's possession was used to dupe those sections. These sections of negative were replaced.

While they were at it, they redid all of the standard analog opticals (wipes and dissolves), because they still had the ON trims of both layers of those elements from when they were done the first time. (Retention of such material is quite rare, but LFL was that meticulous.)

All shots that were to be altered digitally were scanned in, altered, then scanned back out to film, and those sections also replaced portions of the ON.

IIRC, Lucas said in the end something like 65% of the ON was replaced by all this.

That has always been what he meant by the original not existing anymore, because the ON is everything. The ON has been taken apart and put back together with different pieces.

HOWEVER, as I stated earlier, they save EVERYTHING. So the replaced sections certainly still exist, separate from the ON, on carefully catalogued spools somewhere in George's empire. And sure, the scans of those sections that they then altered might be on hard drives somewhere.

So those COULD be used in conjunction with what original pieces remain in the edited ON to recreate/restore the OT. But technically he's right, until that is done the original does NOT exist. Prints do, but not an assembled negative.

Now, something of the kind, in a digital sense, might have been done in the years since, thus the mysterious Lowry clips. But a 2K scan in 1993? Never heard of such a thing. I can find no references of entire films being scanned at 2K prior to the late 90s.

Last edited:
So it's the 1993 that has you scratching your head Treadwell?

I had always presumed that the scan was done around 95-96 to allow enough time for the 3 films re-release in '97

......in any case.....it still is that same scan that is on the Blu-rays.....made by LFL

J

Last edited:
Sorry, source?

(that said, I'm going to give the following info also without quoting a source. ;) )

Sources is everything yes ;)

I can't either find a really good source, and quoting something like a forum post somewhere or wikipedia would just be silly :p

This states "a 1993 master":
http://fd.noneinc.com/savestarwarscom/savestarwars.com/specialeditionfail.html

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/s...-Wars-Trilogy-has-a-New-Official-Master-in-4K

A very long read with plenty of sources:
http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Either way, we are now in 2016, some 39 years after the original '77 release and the last proper release of that film.... eons ago:lol

That was the scan Lucasfilm did,....which they added the SE effects onto in 97,.......a scan which THEY did !!!,.....then handed that transfer years later to Lowry Digital to digitally clean & enhance,....(normally Lowry do a higher res scan themselves & clean that up)
I remember seeing a video from a panel Q&A with the guy at Lowry Digital that had done the scan. The digital scan was of the completed SE on film.
He was very insistent about one thing: the scan was in "Full HD", not in Cinema 2K. He corrected a person in the audience that had the misconception that they were the same thing.

I remember seeing a video from a panel Q&A with the guy at Lowry Digital that had done the scan. The digital scan was of the completed SE on film.
He was very insistent about one thing: the scan was in "Full HD", not in Cinema 2K. He corrected a person in the audience that had the misconception that they were the same thing.

It's mad isn't it,....I don't blame Lowry/Reliance,....they had to do the best they could with what they had been given

Ha,.... Full HD....its not far from 2K,....but it must have pissed them off,....its like handing them something domestic

J

Like I said, Lowry/Reliance does quality work. The Bond collection and North by Northwest are testaments to what they can do when allowed to do the right thing. The 2004 DVDs and 2012 Blu Rays for Star Wars are technical embarassments in my opinion. I mean, setting aside the unnecessary nature of many of the digital additions in the OT, simple stuff like color timing is just way, way of, and shoddily done.

I've probably said it before in this thread, but a few years ago, I watched the DVD of ESB. There's a sequence on the bridge of a Star Destroyer and you can actually VISIBLY see where they "turned off" the color timing filter right at the end of the scene, and it switches back to the old '80s look. For, like, a second and a half.

I mean, ok, bad enough that the color timing looks like garbage. But you can't even manage to do it consistently! AND you leave the old material peeking out from the edges, to boot? It's just amateurish. Seriously, fan edits have done a better job at this.

I kind of get the sense that for color timing, Lucas just told them "Brighter. More intense." And that was it.

Sources is everything yes ;)

I can't either find a really good source, and quoting something like a forum post somewhere or wikipedia would just be silly :p

This states "a 1993 master":
http://fd.noneinc.com/savestarwarscom/savestarwars.com/specialeditionfail.html

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/s...-Wars-Trilogy-has-a-New-Official-Master-in-4K

A very long read with plenty of sources:
http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

None of those sources mention a 1993 2K scan. The "1993 master" mentioned in the first link is the Standard Definition transfer I mentioned.

Either way, we are now in 2016, some 39 years after the original '77 release and the last proper release of that film.... eons ago:lol
Agreed!!

Then we got a Blu-Ray player, and suddenly there's 10" of black, unused screen surrounding the frame. And, yes, I've tried changing every option available, which did absolutely nothing. Big screen TV, relatively tiny image. :angry

Lucasfilm: You're welcome.

Kind of feels silly when Lucasfilm was so big into THX with their slogan stating,

Digitally Mastered for optimal video and audio performance

No wonder they stopped using it.

So there *is* (an new) hope after all....

** This link contains spoilers to Rogue One ** You've been warned :)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-rogue-one-got-its-hands-on-unseen-star-wars-f-1790250545

"Edwards was told the footage hadn’t really been looked through in a while because it wasn’t digitized, so he grabbed the negatives and pored through the footage himself. There, he found original negatives from A New Hope that included deleted scenes of the pilots, mainly from the Death Star attack at the end of the film. There was even an X-Wing call sign exchange that didn’t make it into A New Hope."

A reasonable facsimile of the OOT could be cobbled together from existing sources for home release regardless of the supposed non existence of certain original elements. If fans can do it on their PC, a multibillion dollar company can certainly swing it. And should.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back