Re: Disney To Release Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy On Blu-ray

Ground control to Major Tom.

Re: Disney To Release Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy On Blu-ray

there's a super 8 version from derann films that sometimes pop up on ebay and sells for 1000 and above. this should contain the very first release without the second title anh under the main title.

Until I see them in stores I refuse to believe this. As much as I want this, these stories have been floating around since the early 2000's. Sadly I think it's just wishful thinking on our part. I hope I'm wrong but for the foreseeable future it looks like the 2006 Laserdisc DVD transfers will be my go to copy of the trilogy.

Sadly I'm in the believe it when I see it on amazon crowd. I'll be the first online preordering them as soon as it's announced but Disney may not do it for some odd reason. They'd be stupid not too as they'd have an instant cash flow.

Sadly I'm in the believe it when I see it on amazon crowd. I'll be the first online preordering them as soon as it's announced but Disney may not do it for some odd reason. They'd be stupid not too as they'd have an instant cash flow.
I'm not so sure about "an instant cash flow". It wouldn't surprise me to find out Disney has already taken steps towards obtaining and restoring copies of the original theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy movies in anticipation of buying A New Hope from Fox when the rights to The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi revert to them. But the reality is that it will cost them a lot to restore those movies if Lucas' assertion that they "no longer exist" proves to be true. And, as has been stated repeatedly, there are a lot of fans who don't care which version(s) of those movies they watch, and who will probably not spend the money to own "inferior" versions.

I'd like the rumors of a proper DVD/Blu-Ray release to be true as much as the next fan, but for now I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

The reality is that it will cost them a lot to restore those movies if Lucas' assertion that they "no longer exist" proves to be true.

It's not. You don't destroy assets like camera negatives. If Lucas had done that, the Special Editions would have stopped with the laser disc releases. Think about it. What are you going to do with the added Jabba the Hutt scene when the original CGI Jabba looks so horrendously outdated?

1. You hire graphic artists to paint out Jabba in every single frame so that the new and improved Jabba can be inserted into the scene. If the originals and everything that was tied to it were destroyed, this is the only option.

2. Use the original camera negative and just add the new CGI Jabba into the scene the way they did back in 1996 with greater ease.

For someone like Lucas who wants to advance movie experience technology by leaps and bounds, it's ridiculous tjat he would intentionally destroy his assets that would allow his products to be seen by current standards.

The only way I'd believe that the film elements no longer exist is if Lucas literally drew on them with a crayon.

...The only way I'd believe that the film elements no longer exist is if Lucas literally drew on them with a crayon.
Nahhh, Lucas would burn 'em like Vader's corpse. Y'know, just to be sure. :D

But seriously, that's why I can do nothing but shake my head whenever I hear Lucas say they don't exist. It's as if he believes people will believe it if he says it often enough. :facepalm

I want this sooo bad but its been rumored that many times I just don't care to get excited. When there's a preorder then I'll get excited.Even just give us the SE with the correct color. Most of the SE stuff I'm sort of ok with(it's grown over time)but I was watching the deleted Hoth scenes the other day and when the restored stuff came on next to the original stuff it was soo vastly different. The restored Hoth stuff looks way too blue and dark.

Ben

I would love a copy of the original movies without all of the additions of the special editions, and at the same time, would appreciate if they cleaned up some of the special effect shots and color corrections. I don't need the HORRIBLE Jabba scene in ANH, expanded cloud city scape in ESB, or the the bird beak sarlac pit in ROTJ, or the changed dance in Jaba's palace.

It's not. You don't destroy assets like camera negatives. If Lucas had done that, the Special Editions would have stopped with the laser disc releases. Think about it. What are you going to do with the added Jabba the Hutt scene when the original CGI Jabba looks so horrendously outdated?

1. You hire graphic artists to paint out Jabba in every single frame so that the new and improved Jabba can be inserted into the scene. If the originals and everything that was tied to it were destroyed, this is the only option.

2. Use the original camera negative and just add the new CGI Jabba into the scene the way they did back in 1996 with greater ease.

For someone like Lucas who wants to advance movie experience technology by leaps and bounds, it's ridiculous tjat he would intentionally destroy his assets that would allow his products to be seen by current standards.

The only way I'd believe that the film elements no longer exist is if Lucas literally drew on them with a crayon.

3: Use the 2K scan they did in 1993 of the originals....

As I posted pages back,....#243

The Reliance Mediaworks clips show lightsabers which don't have the SE glows over them,....so they must have scanned a pre SE film at 4k

J

Even just give us the SE with the correct color. Most of the SE stuff I'm sort of ok with(it's grown over time)but I was watching the deleted Hoth scenes the other day and when the restored stuff came on next to the original stuff it was soo vastly different. The restored Hoth stuff looks way too blue and dark.

Ben

But the colors were correct on the guy's out-of-the-box uncalibrated monitor from Best Buy he was using. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back