Tron Legacy: the Other Props

Is it dark grey or perhaps silver? It could be the lighting that's giving it a different color. It looks like it could be silver in this picture.

Nokia N8: The hacker phone of Tron - Pocket-lint

:confused

I say the one in the film dark grey. Below is a picture that has three of the colors that are available. The white-silver is on the right, the dark grey is on the left.

Nokia-Executive-Says-Nokia-N8-Launches-September-30th-2.jpg

I say the one in the film dark grey. Below is a picture that has three of the colors that are available. The white-silver is on the right, the dark grey is on the left.

Nokia-Executive-Says-Nokia-N8-Launches-September-30th-2.jpg

Thanks for your input! The only thing is that the dark grey phone in your picture actually looks black. Here's a listing on Ebay for one that is grey:

DISCOUNTED Dummy Display Phone for Grey Nokia N8 Gray - eBay (item 150509666194 end time Jan-19-11 02:15:21 PST)

Now I'm really confused??? I just want one for my collection, but want to make sure I get the right color.

Thanks for your input! The only thing is that the dark grey phone in your picture actually looks black. Here's a listing on Ebay for one that is grey:

DISCOUNTED Dummy Display Phone for Grey Nokia N8 Gray - eBay (item 150509666194 end time Jan-19-11 02:15:21 PST)

Now I'm really confused??? I just want one for my collection, but want to make sure I get the right color.

Like I said, according to the Wikipedia, the only colors available are as followed: silver white, dark grey, orange, blue, and green. Yes, lighting can alter the color of something. For example, the movie "In the Valley of Elah", one of the scenes involved the discussion of the color of a car, which due to a light nearby caused the car to look green when it was actually blue (or something like that).

Unless Sam decided to customize the paintjob on his phone (which some people have done with their own electronics), it's safe to say it's dark grey, unless someone actually has photos of the actual prop phone on display somewhere that shows otherwise.

Last edited:
I broke down and paid the crazy price. I look at it more like I was buying a seen on screen prop. :lol

Ebay has one, but it looks more like toy/rubik's cube.

Like I said, according to the Wikipedia, the only colors available are as followed: silver white, dark grey, orange, blue, and green. Yes, lighting can alter the color of something. For example, the movie "In the Valley of Elah", one of the scenes involved the discussion of the color of a car, which due to a light nearby caused the car to look green when it was actually blue (or something like that).

Unless Sam decided to customize the paintjob on his phone (which some people have done with their own electronics), it's safe to say it's dark grey, unless someone actually has photos of the actual prop phone on display somewhere that shows otherwise.

Dark grey it is then. Thanks for clearing that up!

I broke down too and got mine from... Tokyo MoMA! Thanks to facebook for letting me know my friend is on vacation there...

Also I find it hard to acquire good N8 models at fair price, looks like the model has been discontinued.

I broke down and paid the crazy price. I look at it more like I was buying a seen on screen prop. :lol

Ebay has one, but it looks more like toy/rubik's cube.

crazy? Not really I have seen people pay more for no functioning piles of resin the what those cost..
plus they are "screen correct" just ask Flynn

am not so sure....
this is a silver one

it changes so much
mite get both

No, it's a dark gray one. The one with the red circle is circled around the orange light that is glowing from the panel (which you can clearly see in the second shot). And if it were silver, the orange would pop (seriously, anything shining on any type of silver color, even if it was non-glossy, would have more of a defined reflection. Anything dark or black would absorb the color and reflectiveness would be low unless it was a gloss covered black).

If you pay attention to the third shot, which you can see Sam's fleshtone clearly, you can tell that the film has been balanced for whatever light is being used to appear as a "white light." And since some of that light is also shining on the phone, you can clearly tell that it is day grey. It doesn't change colors in between shots, it's the way the lighting setup and camera angle that confuses people.

I am saying this with 100% certainty, unless someone has a photo of the actual prop on display (like how we've seen photos of Sam's and Gem's outfits, the baton, the light disc and even the "Digital Frontier" book), it is dark gray. It's not silver white (if it were, it'd be lighter than that in the actual scene and would stand out even more in the third shot where it would look silver, not black). It's dark grey.

No, it's a dark gray one. The one with the red circle is circled around the orange light that is glowing from the panel (which you can clearly see in the second shot). And if it were silver, the orange would pop (seriously, anything shining on any type of silver color, even if it was non-glossy, would have more of a defined reflection. Anything dark or black would absorb the color and reflectiveness would be low unless it was a gloss covered black).

the one with the red circle is of a silver phone not from the movie...its about how the silver phone leaks light.. http://symbianworld.org/7555-silver-white-nokia-n8-light-leakage-solution-soon/

they could of used parts from both too..
but we will not know until we see the real prop in natural light

tron-legacy-sams-necklace-memory-card-picture-5.png-41785d1293831113

Yes I did. Pretty cool just transforming them into all the interlocking shapes. I'm also supporting The Museum of Modern Art. :)

My cube(s) got delivered tonight, well worth the cost. You can't get more accurate than these. Plus they look really cool and are fun to play with.

the one with the red circle is of a silver phone not from the movie...its about how the silver phone leaks light.. Silver White Nokia N8 Light Leakage (solution soon) | SymbianWorld - your S60 and Symbian resource for News, Applications and more

they could of used parts from both too..
but we will not know until we see the real prop in natural light

Well, what's not to say all the colors leak light the same way? That doesn't definitively prove that its the silver one in that one shot.

When it comes to big budgeted movies, the production design/art department and the continuity people are stickler for details. If they had a silver one used in that scene when the other shots are with the dark grey one, the director would be asking why the hell isn't the phone in the other two shots silver in comparison to the first shot, or why the phone in the first shot isn't dark grey with the other two shots after that (and after that, would potentially lead that person to not work in the industry again after that). In fact, the director would have pointed out the problem of continuity of color between phones during the prop showoff that is normally done in pre-pro.

Trust me, having to work in the art department for a couple of short films, continuity is one of the things that is driven in like a sledge hammer. And if they did receive one silver one with about three dark grey ones, you can guarantee that they either A. wouldn't use it or B. paint it a dark gray to match the others.

But, like you said, unless someone has a picture of the actual prop from an actual presentation in normal lighting, it's safe to say all phones used are dark grey.

Well, what's not to say all the colors leak light the same way? That doesn't definitively prove that its the silver one in that one shot.

When it comes to big budgeted movies, the production design/art department and the continuity people are stickler for details. If they had a silver one used in that scene when the other shots are with the dark grey one, the director would be asking why the hell isn't the phone in the other two shots silver in comparison to the first shot, or why the phone in the first shot isn't dark grey with the other two shots after that (and after that, would potentially lead that person to not work in the industry again after that). In fact, the director would have pointed out the problem of continuity of color between phones during the prop showoff that is normally done in pre-pro.

Trust me, having to work in the art department for a couple of short films, continuity is one of the things that is driven in like a sledge hammer. And if they did receive one silver one with about three dark grey ones, you can guarantee that they either A. wouldn't use it or B. paint it a dark gray to match the others.

But, like you said, unless someone has a picture of the actual prop from an actual presentation in normal lighting, it's safe to say all phones used are dark grey.

when I said parts from both I mean they made one with silver and dark grey.

when I said parts from both I mean they made one with silver and dark grey.

Even if that were the case, then it'd be noticeable in the shots. So far, the phone looks completely stock with an SD Card holder for the chip and a piece of an iPhone 2G logic board attached.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back