Tron Lightcycle Run Merch Discussion

As promised, photos of the stock helmet.

Thanks for the pics! There's surprisingly little coverage on these helmets, and I think it looks really sharp.

I'm excited to see what y'all come up with for the Discs. If the Kyber crystals are any indicator, as soon as someone figures out how the chips work the floodgates will be wide open.

Anyone trying to crack the code on the custom figures?

The figures use the same chip as the discs. SO the chip holds data of voice clips, team/disc color, and possibly the face images, though i think those are physically printed and put into the figure.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 5.41.30 PM.png

I know from one review that the Identity Disc is kinda loose on the figure's upper back. Wonder if it's removable... or swappable for that matter.

I would not advise removal. When the person that told me that is where the face is stored saw me trying to pry it off, they told me very quickly to stop!
Yikes, good to know. Anyway I got my Quorra chip today. It actually produces a very pleasant, slightly teal tinted blue. I'm including screenshots with and without the chip in so you guys can clearly see the difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 61
Its strange the color the CLU chip makes, i know its supposed to be yellow, but in person its greenish yellow, and on camera, its blue green lol

I'm on it! ;)
I've modded a few discs with your kits and they've all turned out great, do you have a plan on how to contend with the color changing aspect or would it be a gut and overhaul to be a static color?

Very glad to see they made some of the changes that we were having to hack away at with the Spinmaster version (inner rings on both sides, notches at top and bottom are physical instead of painted on, etc.)

Can't wait to see what you have in the works!

I've modded a few discs with your kits and they've all turned out great, do you have a plan on how to contend with the color changing aspect or would it be a gut and overhaul to be a static color?

Very glad to see they made some of the changes that we were having to hack away at with the Spinmaster version (inner rings on both sides, notches at top and bottom are physical instead of painted on, etc.)

Can't wait to see what you have in the works!

Definitely want to keep the color changing aspect, sounds and animations!

I can’t wait to see what people are able to do with the new identity discs! I’ve been wanting to upgrade one of my older discs for quite some time and with the new ones I am super excited to see what is possible

I can’t wait to see what people are able to do with the new identity discs! I’ve been wanting to upgrade one of my older discs for quite some time and with the new ones I am super excited to see what is possible

I've just got mine and looked into modding it. There are good news and bad news.
Good:
  • Looks better than the previous discs (in my opinion)
  • The outer ring is clear, so any color is possible without replacing it
  • The outer ring has 6 wings that, as far as I can tell, can be cut away with the ring staying in place as it's got small "lips" that lock into the sides
  • Built-in AA battery holders
  • Inner rings for both sides, clear too
  • There's a small gap on the back of the inner ring, so maybe leds could be put there without cutting everything
Cons:
  • No clearance between the built-in battery holders and the outer ring to fit an LED strip... not sure if they can be partially filed off, but looks like they would likely need removing :(
  • The clear rings are not "diffusing" a lot, so normal led strips would likely be visible. I think COB led strips would do the trick but I can't find something suitable (see later).

I'm a bit stuck to be honest (I don't have much experience). I was going to make a thread for my project but I don't know which path to take right now.

My issues with the LED strips:
  1. It looks like the "dense" COB strips are not addressable, which is not a showstopper for me, but not ideal
  2. I would like RGBW (for reasons) and that seems to always be 12mm wide, which I don't think can fit
  3. Most strips seem to be 12V/24V, which is a complication (would need a boost converter)
  4. Addressable COB strips seem not as dense (160 led/m) and RGB only
  5. I considered "led filament" strips, which might work, but there's limited choice of colors (for instance I'd like to make a light-blue instead of blue and I could not find anything like that), plus running 2/3 filaments behind the rings they would likely show individually and not light up in the center
Looking forward to what Soulinertia will do.

If someone has ideas for the led strips, I'm open to suggestions.

Just bumping this thread to see if there have been any developments. I know someone on Reddit who was tinkering with the chips when he had some spare time, but so far no progress in hacking one. Has anybody here made any attempts?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back