Tron Costume **Working on Shoulder Pad**

I came across a problem with my size L Cooper SK2000 helmet.

It appears I'm missing one of the side plastic pieces that say "Cooper" on it. Does anyone here know where I can get a replacement plastic piece? If not then I may have to consider buying another helmet... maybe a size medium this time around.

Thanks,
Navin

Anyone? It's unfortunate that the piece is missing... all the Tron helmets I've seen have the side plastic pieces on there.

Extra "bumpers" sometimes show up on ebay from time to time. Just do a normal search for the helmet and they'll pop up every once in a while.

Nick

Extra "bumpers" sometimes show up on ebay from time to time. Just do a normal search for the helmet and they'll pop up every once in a while.

Nick

Thanks Nick! I'm checking with a vendor now to see if they have the bumpers in stock... I should know by next week when he's back in the office.

The guy who sold me my helmet gave me a good idea... I could always custom fabricate a bumper piece out of styrofoam since I have one of the two bumpers that I can use as a pattern to make the second one.

Navin

DUDE!!! I have been wanting to get one of these helmets for a while, and I noticed that since the movie came out the helmets were going for $45-$150 on ebay.

some guy just mislabeled his auction and I got one for $1.00. $15.00 shipping but that is about how much I would have had to pay if I had won one for $45-$150.

I will have to do some bondo work I am guessing but I am so freaking excited to get started on this.

I have a friend that works at a vinyl cutting place and I think I will design the stickers in vector so I can upload them for others.

Thank you Mr. sinistar for rounding up pictures as I cannot WAIT to get started on this project.

Which helmet are you gonna go for? Flynn or Tron?

Nick

I am thinking Tron. I know it's copying what Mr. Sinistar did, but I like the circuit design more on Tron's than on Flynn's. Flynn's seems too plain. But I am already wanting to paint mine white and maybe blue reflective tape, or maybe cut out the negative of the design and spray paint it on.

But I am nabbing one of the original foam discs and next to our Tron machine these will look great.

Sooner or later I will grab another helmet to do a Flynn.

Nick

SUCCESS!! Found the bumpers though they're not the same color as what was originally on there (doesn't matter since I'll be repainting the helmet anyways...

BEFORE
TronHelmet-Before.jpg

AFTER
TronHelmet-After1.jpg

TronHelmet-After2.jpg

TronHelmet-After3.jpg

TronHelmet-After4.jpg

Last edited:
DUDE!!! I have been wanting to get one of these helmets for a while, and I noticed that since the movie came out the helmets were going for $45-$150 on ebay.

some guy just mislabeled his auction and I got one for $1.00. $15.00 shipping but that is about how much I would have had to pay if I had won one for $45-$150.

I will have to do some bondo work I am guessing but I am so freaking excited to get started on this.

I have a friend that works at a vinyl cutting place and I think I will design the stickers in vector so I can upload them for others.

Thank you Mr. sinistar for rounding up pictures as I cannot WAIT to get started on this project.

I'd be very interested in those vector stickers for the circuitry if you decide on getting those made. I'm undertaking the Tron helmet project as well... though mine will be a bit "different"... my goal is to make a hybrid Tron costume between the 80s Tron movie and the recent Tron Legacy movie... so my helmet would match the black UD replicas Sam Flynn Leather Jacket that I now own and would be a flat black colored helmet with white reflective tape circuitry.

I definitely am in the same boat as you... very excited to undertake this fun, relaxing project. :D

Navin

I'd be very interested in those vector stickers for the circuitry if you decide on getting those made. I'm undertaking the Tron helmet project as well... though mine will be a bit "different"... my goal is to make a hybrid Tron costume between the 80s Tron movie and the recent Tron Legacy movie... so my helmet would match the black UD replicas Sam Flynn Leather Jacket that I now own and would be a flat black colored helmet with white reflective tape circuitry.

I definitely am in the same boat as you... very excited to undertake this fun, relaxing project. :D

Navin

Yeah I definitely will post the circuitry. I am trying to figure out what to do with the foam for the back, my was VERY used and the old foam is stiff and yellow:unsure

It looks like it's difficult to cut those foam sheets from Home Depot, but I found an Exacto knife the other day that you plug in and it heats up. Maybe that will help. It looks like the cuts you made had some rough spots, I wonder if you can sand those?

Re: Tron Costume

I gotta say that I respectfully disagree on all three counts.

The Bad Guy armor is of a type that many companies did there own version but I have yet to find the exact pattern and shoulders.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Ram / Good Guy pads-

First off I think that the Tron/Flynn Shoulders pads are cut from the same model Chest Protector as the Ram Pads.

The Jofa pads are very close but no cigar.

Here you can see how the shoulder bell is very different in texture and shape. The arm section has small differences too.

attachment.php

Again that arm strap is very encouraging! I've not seen one that has come that close yet!

It's nice to see other people interested in this obscure Tron stuff!

Nick

Wait -- isn't this it?

Vintage MALCOM SMITH BMX Chest Protector MOTOCROSS 1980 - eBay (item 180622058467 end time Feb-12-11 17:20:30 PST)

Yeah, I saw that auction last week and realized that must be the bad guy armor. Thanks for posting.

I wish some of this vintage motocross and hockey stuff was more easier to obtain. *Sigh*

Yay, more updates!

Long story short: I got another Cooper SK 2000 and found a website that sells replacement side bumpers (tad expensive, but I really needed them...may do a run if there's a call for it)

I love my current Tron helmet, but there's a couple of minor problems with it.

The foam is wayyy too tight and it hurts to wear it. Also, I kinda messed up on the sizing on the helmet...one side is slightly shorter than the other due to me forgetting to adjust the side bumpers so that they fully extend. Can't fix that now since she's all painted and bondo'd up, lol. :p

Soooooo, I'm working on another helmet. I'm still debating if I should make it look just like my old helmet, or make it look like a "on-set" helmet, with the crappy black gaffer tape. It's definitely going to have different foam...that's for sure.

Also, I got myself some more shoulder pads. I'm going to remove the stitch from the plastic parts and hopefully doing vacuumform pulls (again, if anyone wants them). Then after I make plaster casts, I'll reattach them to the fabric and paint it up.

Still need help with boots...thanks to some help from Riceball on my Guard research thread, I'm probably looking for motorcycle boots. The soles were probably removed and replaced with wedge soles.

I'll try to continue updating this.

Oh, and also, I'm going to see Bruce Boxleitner at DragonCon soon...I'm going to have him sign my old helmet. :)

Hi MrSinistar, I realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to say THANK YOU for this discussion (and everyone else herein as well). I am 47 and a computer scientist, and the Tron story is a big part of my world view. I cosplayed for the first time at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con along with my daughter. I created a first-draft Kevin Flynn prop costume. I'm at it again for 2017, and wanted to get my story out for other Tron fans such as yourselves to see and use. I stumbled onto this thread when researching Tron prop projects, so I figured I'd better sign up. Here's a link to my Tron projects: http://www.flemingcomputer.com/for-fun. Thanks!

Hi all,

Rectify! Thanks to this thread and the combined work of you all, I was able to finish the task of identifying and sourcing the materials used in the arm and shoulder gear for our favorite video warriors Kevin Flynn, Tron, Ram, and Crom. Here is a link to that thread on TheRPF:

Tron (1982) Cosplay: Video Warrior Arm and Shoulder Gear

And a teaser photo of the result when combining parts from two Jofa motocross chest protectors:

jofa5.jpg

See the full process using the link above. Like the man says, there's no problems - only solutions! Thanks again.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back