Tron Costume **Working on Shoulder Pad**

Re: Tron Costume

Yeah the padding towards the front seems to be missing.

I never noticed the 4/5 hole difference. I have a smalll/medium shell as well! Woo Hoo!

Here's the best reference I have for the interior of the helmet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nick

Here's a Flynn helmet I'm working on. I'm a bit farther but haven't updated in a while...
http://www.therpf.com/f9/flynns-helmet-wip-84842/

I think there were 2 versions of the SK2000, one like yours with the rounded channel along the front, and one with no channel and angled middle section (hard to explain). Mine also had the channels, but I Dremmeled them down for the appropriate look.

Here's a Flynn helmet I'm working on. I'm a bit farther but haven't updated in a while...
http://www.therpf.com/f9/flynns-helmet-wip-84842/

I think there were 2 versions of the SK2000, one like yours with the rounded channel along the front, and one with no channel and angled middle section (hard to explain). Mine also had the channels, but I Dremmeled them down for the appropriate look.

Hey Lindy, I really like how your Flynn helmet is going. Hope you finish it soon. Yeah, I noticed the front "channel" thing before. Crom's helmet looks a little closer to my helmet, but it may be just me.

An update on the padding.

tron-costume-tron-helmet-interior-jpg-27353d1276397463

tron-costume-tron-helmet-interior2-jpg-27354d1276397463

After careful examination, the padding seen in these photos maybe two pieces and not one (however I could be wrong). If the padding was made up of two pieces, the upper section is Cooper padding, while the bottom half that's covers the back of the neck is custom padding. Here's a comparison of the original Cooper back pad:

29386_1502539290456_1443438409_1334902_2805828_n.jpg

The bottom foam extension is most likely glued or holding onto the original padding. I noticed the original Cooper foam is being hold by screws on both the rear and front shells.

29386_1502539170453_1443438409_1334900_7377178_n.jpg

Flynn and Tron's helmets have the screws still in place (but painted black, so when the film went through the backlit animation process, the screws glowed along with the circuitry).

Also, the padding is around 5/8ths of an inch. Half an inch will do the trick too.

Also, looks like this helmet belonged to Al. LOL

29386_1502539330457_1443438409_1334903_4213298_n.jpg

What are you using to extend the rear padding down to the neckline? My search hasn't been too successful.

Also if you want to cover any holes, or take ol' Al off of there, I used a bumper repair kit. It dries really hard but still has some flex to it. Can be found at any auto parts store...

Nice research, looking forward to see how this turns out.

Are you going to use just blue reflective tape, or are you going to put some blue EL wire in there too?

If you can hide the wire in some of the seams, setting it to strobe is great in the dark. Don't know if it can be added in a way that wont affect the movie accuracy though.

For the rear pad extension, I'm going to go use a interlocking foam tile for kid's playrooms, which is what one of the guys (jedidentist, I think is his name) did for his Tron helmets. However, I hope I can find one in gray, so I don't have to paint it. I never painted foam before so I have no idea if it'll work or not. Thanks for the bumper repair tip, Lindy. Definitely going to try that out.

@FizzyProps
I'm going to be using just reflective tape. I can't really afford el-wire, and while it looks nice, I think it's a tad too distracting from the original design. Then again, I'm not striving for perfect replica either.

EL Wire can add a lot of cost to a project, so thats understandable. If you wanted to cut down on that you could do just the Identity disk.

I have some wire kicking about from when I did a 'VERY' inaccurate Tron costume. If you feel like giving it a shot PM me.

Give any thought to pulling some bucks for the shell so someone can vaccuform it?

It would sure help those who can't find the original helmets.

Russ

This is great info. I have the exact same helmet and have been deciding which way to go on it, prod. accurate with the blank stickers, or a nice blue glowy one for use in a darkened room lol!!!
Would love to be updated on this mate,
Cheers'
Colin
PS My helmet is a medium also. Will post pics. I also managed to get an accurate identity disc frisbee from the 70's !

Last edited:

Sorry about the delay guys. Thanks a lot for the comments and advice! :D

I found another picture of the Jofa armor. We get a really good look at the lower shoulder pad here:

0yhqi.jpg

This one is on ebay, but it's starting on $150! I might as well make my own pad.

Speaking of making my own stuff; in response to Rook 3, I would make copies of my helmet, but I have no idea how to get started or if I can get permission from mom and dad (I'm only 19 LOL). However, I am experienced in modeling so maybe I can make an accurate 3d model and you guys can use it to make a Pepakura papercraft out of that.

The Cooper 2000Sk's are all over ebay usually. My helmet is the medium and seems perfect.

Yeah, it's fairly easy to get a Cooper helmet. It's the vintage motocross chest gear that's proving to be hard to find. lol

What's probably going to happen is that I'm going to make my own shoulder pads with maybe sculpting clay or Pepakura. I'll go ahead and make a rough 3D model of the shoulder pads.

Oh, here's more reference.

I took these photos at the Planet Hollywood at the Downtown Disney in Orlando. It was so awesome to see this in person. :D

DSCF7100-1.jpg

Note the orange inside of the shoulder pad. Also note that the gauntlet is just foam with stickers for the circuitry placed on it.

DSCF7099-1.jpg

Okay, I'm in the process right now of getting some Blue reflective tape. Still need to bondo the helmet and I still need to get the foam for the custom helmet padding.

In case I can't find the foam in a nice gray color, does anyone have any hints/tips for painting foam in general?

IMG_129750.jpg

IMG_129850.jpg

IMG_129650.jpg

IMG_129450.jpg

IMG_129550.jpg

IMG_129950.jpg

I just painted the foam with white spray paint. These were yellow puzzle piece kids' playground tiles. The foam is very stiff, so it holds the paint well.

I really would like to see one of these helmets cast in CLEAR plastic taped where the lines are then painted gray. So once the pinstriping is removed you have clear "ciruits" and could light it internally!

Thanks a lot for the pictures and info, Jedidentist! :D

I also just finished talking with a friend who owns a chest prop and he's going to get measurements and pictures for us! Can't wait :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back