Tron Costume **Working on Shoulder Pad**

Re: Tron Costume

I went down to Home Depot and got the 4 pack Kiddie Floor Foam Tiles today. I'm working on the foam insert right now. Man, this shape is so freaking confusing! It's giving me a headache, lol. I may have to cut up another piece of foam if this one doesn't turn out well.

After a couple hours of confusion and cutting, I have the rough shape done:

oaklZ.jpg

I didn't think too far ahead and I got close to butchering up the front section of the foam. I guess I got too excited or something. :p

I'm going to get out the cutting board tomorrow and do the final clean cut.

Also, I notice that behind the ear you can see that the foam is not conforming to the shape of the helmet and you can see the inside of the helmet a little bit. I'm assuming that screwing the foam to the helmet will fix this.

I used a lot of 2 part quick set epoxy to get mine set. I made a "template" from one piece of test foam, and then cut another for my final. One thing that helped me with the ear holes was using a dremel tool. It allowed me to finely adjust the holes and edges. I had a special bur from my denture making days, but I suppose one of the sandpaper cylinders would do the same. After cutting it out to roughly 95% of the final shape, you could use one of those cylinders to GENTLY go over the edges to give it a smoother look. Try it out on a scrap piece so you can get the feel for it first. Oh, and just for fun, this is my new hobby I'm in to since I've basically completed my prop replica collection:

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_111350.jpg

Woohoo! Carved the foam and, man, it looks great! :D

HZLno.jpg

LjfyI.jpg

sm3xi.jpg

I kept the original screws that came with the helmet and after poking holes in the ear section, I placed those screws in. This really came out a lot better than I expected :D

After this, I have three more steps to do:

1) Bondo the helmet to remove the visible screws and screw holes.
2) Paint the helmet and foam with primer.
3) Apply the circuitry with the reflective tape.

I got the tape the other day. When light's not directly hitting it, it's a little darker than what I prefer, but it looks great when you shine light on it.

Work your cut foam areas with some course sandpaper...that might help smooth out your cuts. I also wonder if any sort of solvents might "melt" it a little. Like trying some acetone or something. After sanding and getting it more finished, using a paint brush and a solvent like this might yield an almost perfect finish. Just a thought...

Work your cut foam areas with some course sandpaper...that might help smooth out your cuts. I also wonder if any sort of solvents might "melt" it a little. Like trying some acetone or something. After sanding and getting it more finished, using a paint brush and a solvent like this might yield an almost perfect finish. Just a thought...

I'll try both of those out, thanks :D

I'm bondoing the helmet now. Will post pics tomorrow.

Re: Tron Costume (Foam Carved; Bondo is Next)

Alright! Finally applying the circuitry! :D

7VIaQ.jpg

STu1Q.jpg

U74uA.jpg

ty69H.jpg

FMLst.jpg

KnLQ8.jpg

U7Ufv.jpg

The rear circuitry section is going to be a bit harder to complete because the high res image I have of the rear pattern is inaccurate compared to the pattern in the movie.

Absolutely loving the glow :D

Last edited:
Re: Tron Costume **Applying Helmet Circuitry!**

Still working on the helmet circuitry. Also, I finally ID'ed the upper part of the shoulder pad! It's knee cup of a Jofa Motocross Shin guard.

sCTSJ.png

Great work! The grey really makes the light blue circuit pattern really
"pop out" with a glow like effect. :love

Can't wait to see further progress. :thumbsup

FINISHED WITH THE HELMET! :D

38148_1554493025678_1335773337_1478144_682051_n.jpg

I showed it off at MetroCon in Tampa, FL and it was very successful. A lot of people recognized me and when they took photos of me they literally started freaking out when they saw the circuitry glowing. It was very fun.

GREETINGS PROGRAM,

Congrats! That looks great! Love the Circuitry! Can't wait to see the rest

I DO NOT LIKE JAY MAYNARD. I'm the guy who originally made the costume, and he bought it from me off ebay. It's too bad the rest of the armor pieces I made didn't fit him, because it was much more impressive to have a complete glowing suit. I made the ABS plastic armor so the EL wire wouldn't bend and get destroyed with movement... Also, I had a high power magnet on the backplate so I could pop the frisbee on and off. Sure it wasn't screen accurate, but it was a nice compromise for the glowing effect. I emailed him a couple times to credit me as the armor maker on his website, but no response. Tacky! If anybody has questions on how to build something like this with EL wire, I'm more than happy to help. But, I'd love to see someone try it with EL tape or EL foil... It wasn't available back when I made that suit, but it would be great since you can actually cut out a circuit pattern, and it would glow! Great thread BTW!!!

runs and hides[/QUOTE]

I love the helmet! I'm hoping to do something similar for the new film in December depending on time and funds. This thread will be a lot of help!

The helmet came out very nice. Great work!:thumbsup

FINISHED WITH THE HELMET! :D

38148_1554493025678_1335773337_1478144_682051_n.jpg

I showed it off at MetroCon in Tampa, FL and it was very successful. A lot of people recognized me and when they took photos of me they literally started freaking out when they saw the circuitry glowing. It was very fun.
The reflective tape is a cool idea! :thumbsup

That's great, I think I'm going to try this with my spare SK2000.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back