Tron Costume **Working on Shoulder Pad**

Re: Tron Costume **Applying Helmet Circuitry!**

Got the shin guard!!

K1sUZ.jpg

I was concerned if there was going to be any differences between the knee pad and the pad that's in the movie, but it's a dead on match! :D It looks really great and I'll post dimensions and better pics soon.

Pics:

6LNGb.jpg

CjaMm.jpg

Test fitting:
ajaX4.jpg

a2MnT.jpg

Back/Profile shape:
Ezi2Q.jpg

Unlike the movie pad, this has thread holes where it was being held to the foam padding. I'm wondering if the movie pad covered the holes up with tape or something.

To remove the pad, I simply grabbed an X-ACTO knive and cut away at the thread. It took about a few minutes for each pad. The shin guards were played with, so I had to endure bad used sports equipment smells (like old gym socks... gag) There was also old gross dust and fuzz underneath the edge of the plastic. I made sure I washed the plastic shells throughly before I test fitted them. lol

Last edited:
Hi,
currently working on flynn's outfit. this will be my second time 'round doing it, the first time wasn't at all quite like i imagined it. anyway, i'd like to pretty much do the same thing you've got going with the reflective tape, instead of normal paint/ iron-on's (first time disappointment).

Was wondering what kind of reflective tape you used/where'd ya find it?
and if you'd think it'd be smart to invest in the 1/4" roll of reflective tape... Amazon.com: 1/4" by 37.5' Blue reflective pin stripping tape: Automotive

How well does the primer paint stick to the foam?

Thanks!
and great job on that helmet, looks sharp!

Last edited:
I got my Reflective tape from eBay: 6" Wide X 10' Long, Avery brand.

The foam is from a Kids Interlocking Foam Tile. You can find a set of 4 at the flooring section at Home Depot:

eva-all-colours.jpg

Be sure to draw out a plan before you cut out the foam. The shape is confusing and requires many test fittings. You can use the screws that came with the helmet and use them to hold the foam in place.

Thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it.

Another question on the reflective tape: How flexible is it? Could you wrap it around curves or is it necessary to cut it into smaller pieces?

Another question on the reflective tape: How flexible is it? Could you wrap it around curves or is it necessary to cut it into smaller pieces?

I had to cut it up into smaller pieces. The "rim" on the front of the helmet is all small pieces stuck next to each other. It looks a tad unprofessional...but then again, so did the original costumes. XD

The glow from the flash is really what makes the tape worth it.

Awesome.

Do you think you'll have enough tape to finish an entire suit with just the 6" x 10'?

I have the circuitry layout of the front and back for flynn's suit somewhere on a random hard drive. if i find it I can post it

Does anyone have the layout for tron's suit? (I might be asking this in the wrong thread, but i'm assuming a few other ppl wouldn't mind)

Thanks! I got very lucky and got the correct Motocross chest protector for the lower shoulder pad parts. That part was the hardest to get.

The upper shoulder pad parts pictured above are primed and I still trying to figure out how to cover up the holes on the edge of the parts. After I figure that out (probably just need some bondo or something), I'll give it another coat and put some reflective tape.

Also, I'll be wearing my Tron helmet tonight at the Tron Legacy sneak preview! Hopefully, I'll get some pics of the event. NickyTea is going to be there as well!

Also, I'll be wearing my Tron helmet tonight at the Tron Legacy sneak preview! Hopefully, I'll get some pics of the event. NickyTea is going to be there as well!

Looking forward to it! I'll be in my Flynn jacket, and I'm sure I'll find you inside the mob of people diggin' on your helmet.

Re: Tron Costume

My helmet is the small size. Yeah, the large size has 5 holes on each side in the rear shell, whereas all the Tron helmets that I've seen are 4 holes per side (small/medium). I didn't know this when I bought my helmet, so I'm very lucky I got the small one and not the large one!

As for the padding, my helmet padding was unbelievably thick and it was very painful to wear on my head LOL. It's much more thicker than what can be seen in the film. Medium size must have thinner padding and I think that's what everyone's wearing in the movie. However, I have another theory. I also think that pads that can be seen on the sides of the face are actually part of the rear pad that covers the hair and the back of the neck.

The padding is removable by sections and I can tell you they definitely removed the foam in the front of the helmet.

Ram:
Ram_closeup.png

Tron:
Overused_tron_shot.PNG

3938597552_56d77c8af4_b.jpg

Flynn_helmet.png

With front padding:
5530d1171397351-cooper-sk2000-facts-sk2000-3-color.jpg

I'm going to ask one of the admins from Tron-Sector about the padding. He has a Flynn helmet (Jeff Bridges has the other one).

TronDude.jpg

Hi there... I'm new to the forum here and joined basically after reading your amazing post here... very good job you did by the way!

I'm also a member on Tron-Sector and didn't realize you're one of the admins there. I started a thread on that site for the Tron helmet project I'm undertaking now after having gotten inspired by your good work.

Basically I have the Cooper SK2000 in black that I bought yesterday on eBay. It's a size L. Now, I quoted your post here because you made the comment:
"the large size has 5 holes on each side in the rear shell, whereas all the Tron helmets that I've seen are 4 holes per side (small/medium). I didn't know this when I bought my helmet, so I'm very lucky I got the small one and not the large one!"

After reading your comment here I was concerned that I got the size large helmet, but the more I think about it, it doesn't really matter, does it?
My head measures 23" in circumference so the large size helmet is the size that will definitely fit my head. I wouldn't think it's a big deal if my helmet winds up having an extra hole compared to yours or all the other Tron helmets out there, right? Most people wouldn't notice the extra hole and if I wanted to I could try and cover up one of the holes with bondo and paint over it, right?

What made you decide to paint your helmet gray? I'm considering maybe painting mine flat black and then use blue reflective tape for the circuitry... it would match my Hurley long sleeve Tron suit shirt that is black with the blue glow in the dark circuitry all over the shirt (let me know if you don't know what shirt I'm talking about and I could post a picture of it here for you.

When painting the helmet, did you have to do any prep work on the helmet to get the paint to adhere (such as sanding the helmet)? Did you apply a layer of clearcoat over the paint? How many coats of paint did you use?

Thanks for your excellent thread again!
Navin

How well will the reflective tape stick to the spandex bodysuit? Is it sticky enough to hold up to movement/stretching?

It looks FABULOUS on the helmet!!!

The actual screen used costumes were a bright white color in reality
3763159386_0473638054.jpg

but when photographed and processed the effect looks "greyish" on screen.
tron1982img005.jpg

tron1982img002.jpg

The tone and shade of grey shifts all over the place throughout the movie depending on the scene's lighting effects.

Translating this into real life pieces for collectors and costumers is tough.

The main options are to go grey or to go white. Both approaches have a cool look to them.

The actual screen used costumes were a bright white color in reality
3763159386_0473638054.jpg

but when photographed and processed the effect looks "greyish" on screen.
tron1982img005.jpg

tron1982img002.jpg

The tone and shade of grey shifts all over the place throughout the movie depending on the scene's lighting effects.

Translating this into real life pieces for collectors and costumers is tough.

The main options are to go grey or to go white. Both approaches have a cool look to them.

Thanks for your post, Nick! I've enjoyed reading your very knowledgeable posts. Reason why I considered going with flat black was because the newer Tron Legacy movie used darker helmets, so my idea was to do a "fusion" of sorts between the original and newer Tron movies.

If I decide to go gray then would I want to use a light gray or could I go with a darker gray?

What are your thoughts about the difference in number of screw holes between the small/medium helmets versus the large helmet like what I have? The extra hole on my helmet shouldn't be all that noticeable, right? I haven't received my Cooper SK2000 helmet in the mail yet so I'm unsure of the exact placement of the screw holes and which hole I'd need to cover up if I decided to do that to have only 4 holes.

Navin

This guy did a cool "transitional" costume as well.

2712954138_a81d0398f7_z.jpg

The "holes" issue with the large helmet versus the medium/small helmets concerning the vents on the back of the helmet.

The medium/small helmet use the same shell (I believe) and only have four vent holes on the back.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The large has 5 vent holes in the back section-
attachment.php

attachment.php

I only have a medium helmet and don't know if there are any other major differences.

It shouldn't make too big of a difference if you aren't obsessed with ultimate screen accuracy.

I have a big head too and will probably make a large personal costume helmet after I make my "perfect" helmets for display.

Nick

This guy did a cool "transitional" costume as well.

2712954138_a81d0398f7_z.jpg

The "holes" issue with the large helmet versus the medium/small helmets concerning the vents on the back of the helmet.

The medium/small helmet use the same shell (I believe) and only have four vent holes on the back.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The large has 5 vent holes in the back section-
attachment.php

attachment.php

I only have a medium helmet and don't know if there are any other major differences.

It shouldn't make too big of a difference if you aren't obsessed with ultimate screen accuracy.

I have a big head too and will probably make a large personal costume helmet after I make my "perfect" helmets for display.

Nick

Thanks for the clarification and the good pics, Nick. Yeah, I'm not obsessed with ultimate screen accuracy for 2 reasons... one, I like to be unique with the stuff I do (blame it on my passion/hobby for car customizing, lol), and two, I'd rather have a helmet that ultimately fits my head in the end versus having something that might be more screen accurate but doesn't fit my head, lol.

Navin

I came across a problem with my size L Cooper SK2000 helmet.

It appears I'm missing one of the side plastic pieces that say "Cooper" on it. Does anyone here know where I can get a replacement plastic piece? If not then I may have to consider buying another helmet... maybe a size medium this time around.

Thanks,
Navin

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back