TNG Ready Room Enterprise Painting Dimensions?

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m wanting to do a recreation of the painting of the Enterprise in Picard’s ready room. I’ve found some high-quality reference pics but can’t find anything on the picture’s actual dimensions. Does anyone have any info?

I’m guessing it’s about 3-4’ wide….

I did a (very) small scale study and think I can get close to a decent replica.
IMG_0599.jpeg
IMG_0597.jpeg

I'd be interested to know the rough size of this painting as well. Always thought it would be cool to paint my own.

I love your study painting!

Capt-close.jpg
Here's a close up of the original with a ruler, you should be able to calculate the full dimensions. That's an architectural scale ruler, big marks are an inch.

Last edited:
Some time back I spent quite a few hours hunting for the highest resolution files (and broadest view) I could find, as I wanted to make a print for my office (I'm not a painter). Hunted high and low, and was even able to get in touch with Andy Probert, one of the artists himself! Although he told me he doesn't offer prints anymore, he was good enough to send me a digital image. That, combined with what I was able to find online, are attached below, some at astronomically high resolution.

Captain'sPAINTING-Gift.jpeg fWjlXf7.jpg

The Bussard collectors in some versions of the painting are white-ish in color with "sparkles" in them:

TNG - Ready Room Painting - Age Faded - White Bussard.jpg TNG - Ready Room Painting - Vivid - White Bussard.jpg

...and in other versions (like the original 1987 Cheerios promotion) they're more pinkish, with the "sparkles" dulled:

TNG - Ready Room Painting - Age Faded.jpg TNG - Ready Room Painting - Vivid.jpg

Notice above: the first version of each pair is more "age faded", and the second has more vivid color. The printing process can suck some of the brightness out of it, so I ended up printing mine from the vivid color versions.

For anyone who's interested, I also have a lossless 1.7G Photoshop file (with many of the photo elements in layers, which I modified some) that is too big to attach here. DM me if you'd like it!

I'm guessing these are probably the same files that Snow Builder found. Apologies for not crediting the original folks, but thanks to those who went before, as I no longer remember where I found all these in my online search. Hope someone finds these helpful! I was able to cobble together a very nice 36" x 12" print for myself!

TNG - Ready Room Painting - AF 12x36.jpg TNG - Ready Room Painting - Vivid 12x36.jpg PXL_20240107_155916986.jpg

There are many different ways to crop it to your situation!
Bill

Last edited:
Some time back I spent quite a few hours hunting for the highest resolution files (and broadest view) I could find, as I wanted to make a print for my office (I'm not a painter). Hunted high and low, and was even able to get in touch with Andy Probert, one of the artists himself! Although he told me he doesn't offer prints anymore, he was good enough to send me a digital image. That, combined with what I was able to find online, are attached below, some at astronomically high resolution.

View attachment 1776881 View attachment 1776873

The Bussard collectors in some versions of the painting are white-ish in color with "sparkles" in them:

View attachment 1776876 View attachment 1776878

...and in other versions (like the original 1987 Cheerios promotion) they're more pinkish, with the "sparkles" dulled:

View attachment 1776877 View attachment 1776880

Notice above the first version of each image is more "age faded", and the second has more vivid color. The printing process can suck some of the brightness out of it, so I ended up printing mine from the vivid color versions.

For anyone who's interested, I also have a lossless 1.7G Photoshop file (with many of the photo elements in layers, which I modified some) that is too big to attach here. DM me if you'd like it!

I'm guessing these are probably the same files that Snow Builder found. Apologies for not crediting the original folks, but thanks to those who went before, as I no longer remember where I found all these in my online search. Hope someone finds these helpful! I was able to cobble together a very nice 36" x 12" print for myself!

View attachment 1776875 View attachment 1776879 View attachment 1776874

There are many different ways to crop it to your situation!
Bill
Thank you so much for sharing your find! The reference pictures I used similar but not identical. I'll definitely be using these for my "big" painting. Just got canvas today and will build the stretcher as soon as I figure out final measurements.

Also, for those who haven't seen the very, VERY good third season of "Picard" (you can skip the first two seasons...they suck), there is a closeup of the painting in one scene of the first episode, and it is framed in Admiral Picard's reading room:

Star.Trek.Picard.S03E01.Part.One.The.Next.Generation.REPACK.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb...jpg Star.Trek.Picard.S03E01.Part.One.The.Next.Generation.REPACK.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb...jpg Star.Trek.Picard.S03E01.Part.One.The.Next.Generation.REPACK.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb...jpg
Star.Trek.Picard.S03E01.Part.One.The.Next.Generation.REPACK.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb...jpg Star.Trek.Picard.S03E01.Part.One.The.Next.Generation.REPACK.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb...jpg Star.Trek.Picard.S03E01.Part.One.The.Next.Generation.REPACK.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb...jpg

Looks like someone painted over one of the Sternbach/Probert prints to make it look like an oil painting; I think they call it remarqué style.

Last edited:
This is my favorite thread of the moment! The Ready Room painting is perhaps my favorite expression of the Enterprise-D in art, and it's great to see it getting some attention on the board. I'm assuming Andy did the painting and Rick was credited due to his refinements of the ship's design? Would love to know more about that.

Snow Builder you're moving fast! I'm very excited to see your progress on this project. If you don't mind sharing your paint selections, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Astyanax thank you for offering to share the large file! Your refinements are excellent. I kind of want to make a miniature "ready room" wall now with a scale version of the painting until I can get around to painting a real one. It'd look cool on a desk I think.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back