Harry Potter game room and Firebolt Build (pic heavy)

kavjapan

First post!

This is my Harry Potter themed game room. I started working on it about two years ago during quarantine. There's about 300 props so far --228 DIY and 58 bought from places like the Noble Collection. I also built the game table and shelves and sofa, etc. (But they don't count as props ;) )

My latest build was a full-scale Firebolt broom. It was such a blast to make. The WIP pics are below.

(I've got WIP pics for most of the builds but posting everything would be ridiculous. If anyone's interested in seeing something specific, let me know.)

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3320.jpeg

IMG_3302.jpeg
IMG_3373.jpeg

There's a lot of lights and whatnot for game nights.

IMG_3343.jpeg
IMG_3341.jpeg
IMG_3359.jpeg
IMG_3356.jpeg

Anyway, on to the Firebolt!

Started in March. I like to start by printing out a 1:1 image of whatever I'm building. Makes for a really simple reference as you go along.

IMG_2270.jpeg

Then the first step is happening upon a perfect branch of hard wood (persimmon in this case) just lying on the side of a mountain road!

IMG_2273.jpeg

Basic shaping and carving. The Firebolt design is interesting as it has a smooth polished top and lots of burl on the bottom. This branch was relatively smooth so I had to carve in the rough bits by hand. Then the magic runes on the top.

IMG_2280.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg
IMG_2284.jpeg
IMG_0806.JPG

Next, about a million layers of polyurethane on top, basic stain on bottom, and the runes are inlayed with gold leaf. (This was completely unnecessary but let's me say "It's actual gold!" when people see it. --Though it does give an interesting texture as opposed to just paint.)

IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_2368.jpeg

A little aging and the handle was done.

IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_2398.jpeg

Gathered branches for the tail and painted them. (I would end up needing to redo most of it later so this step should have been last.)

IMG_2425.jpeg
IMG_2463.jpeg

Now on to the footrests. Began with two blocks of carbon steel. The main challenge was that the footrest bars are gently tapered. It's a cool, sleek design but, if you don't have a giant metal lathe, it only leaves the option of hand forging. (As far as I know, anyway.)

IMG_2466.jpeg
IMG_2467.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg

With a basic tapered cylinder, then came the intimidating task of all the compound bends, which had to be mirrored right and left.

IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2900.jpeg
IMG_2906.jpeg
IMG_2909.jpeg

Then grinding and grinding and grinding, but at least it was mid-August. :rolleyes:

IMG_2936.jpeg
IMG_2937.jpeg
IMG_2941.jpeg

Had more detail work to do later, but now the basic pieces were there. So I moved on to the cups (which were just some flower pots) and then putting it all together.

IMG_2946.jpeg

IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3035.jpeg

Cut slits in the ends of the bars and welded in a slat of mild steel into one of them. Then drilled through the handle. Put it all together and welded the slat to the other footrest from inside the cup. (I did a test run to see what would happen to the wood so close to a welding spot. Nothing dramatically burst into flame.)

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

IMG_3048.jpeg

Some more detail grinding to get the foot grips and grooves, etc. It was also much easier to mirror the two pieces perfectly once they had been attached.
Then painting and some distressing. (Yes my fellow nerds, I'm aware that the metalwork is Goblin-made and thus impervious to damage, but it just looks better when it's been aged.) :whistle:

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3104.jpeg

IMG_3105.jpeg

Finally time to reattach the tail. This I thought would be simple but I had to take most of it apart and hot glue a lot of the little forward branches one by one to align and fill out everything. Then paint a lot of it over again. (FYI a bicycle stand is highly recommended for making brooms.)

IMG_3111.jpeg
IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3112.jpg

Finished in early September so about 7 months (but I had some other projects going on as well). Looking through the pics, I'd roughly say about 45 hours.
It's probably my favorite build so far. Really came out nice and adds so much to the room.

IMG_3305.jpeg

Thanks for checking it out!

Teach me your ways. I'm trying to make my whole house look like this. I've been going to a lot of antique stores to find things, but it is hard as everything is so expensive. I'm slowly collecting.

Teach me your ways. I'm trying to make my whole house look like this. I've been going to a lot of antique stores to find things, but it is hard as everything is so expensive. I'm slowly collecting.
Danny over at Wizardry Workshop has a lot of great Harry Potter tutorials and downloads, especially for starting out. It was my go-to in the beginning. The sleeping headmaster portraits came from his site originally. I made a few modification for the frames I had and then printed them out on inkjet canvas paper.

Antique stores can be awesome but like you said they're often expensive. I'd recommend thrift stores or second-hand shops instead. One of the great things about doing a Harry Potter theme is that it's supposed look old and banged up anyway!

Danny over at Wizardry Workshop has a lot of great Harry Potter tutorials and downloads, especially for starting out. It was my go-to in the beginning. The sleeping headmaster portraits came from his site originally. I made a few modification for the frames I had and then printed them out on inkjet canvas paper.

Antique stores can be awesome but like you said they're often expensive. I'd recommend thrift stores or second-hand shops instead. One of the great things about doing a Harry Potter theme is that it's supposed look old and banged up anyway!
Thanks so much! Did you use the mini portraits and just blow them up?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back