TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt **SHELLS **

Man I started my sculpts for my kids turtle suit and looking this thread over I can see I have a long way to go. Great job man. Love the way it all turned out.

I can't believe you make movie accurate turtles, that is too cool. It must have cost a lot of time and money. But they are works of art, great job!

Thank you. It definitely was an adventure going in completely blind, but I have had lots of fun learning.

Wow, you are shelling out some qulity work!

Two meanings! :p Thanks again bud!

Man I started my sculpts for my kids turtle suit and looking this thread over I can see I have a long way to go. Great job man. Love the way it all turned out.

Thank you. I like where you are taking your sculpt! Especially considering its for the kids and the new cartoon design will really be fun. Will definitely follow your progress.

Just finished attaching the sides. Will place the new harness on the shells and begin painting the shells next! WHOOHO

IMG_2105_zps0e925fd6.jpg

Looking good!!! Are you casting the shells in Flex-It? What kind of adhesive are you using? How's it holding up?

Looking good!!! Are you casting the shells in Flex-It? What kind of adhesive are you using? How's it holding up?

That is indeed what the shells are cast in, Flex Foam-it III and I have used "V" on the past shell. Choose to use "III" this time to reduce the overal weight of the shell. The adhesive is called "urebond", and works well. I can lift the shell by picking up on just one of the sides.

Were the shell molds two parts, front and back? Could you post a picture of them?

I'm also interested in your process for the masks. Dragon skin in a rebound mold using universal mold release? Did the dragon skin brush in, or did you rotocast them?

It's been a huge help watching you do all of this a couple steps ahead of me. I'd done small silicone molds before, but at this scale I'd only done stone/plaster molds in art school years ago. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

- D

The shell mold is a one-part mold with a large cut seam to allow me to peel it off after casting. The mother mold is 4 pieces, I oriented the divindind walls perpendicular from front half to back half to aide in proper alignment when reassembling.
file-101.jpg

file-102.jpg

As for the masks, yes it was dragon skin and be sure to use the mold release! It would be awful if the two different silicones bonded and ruined all your hard work.
I rotocasted them in but often had my hand down in the mold with a brush to aide the process. Rotocasting is manuel labor! Considering I don't have access to the nice equipment that does it for you.

I sure wish I had taken some art classes, but I'm glad to help where I can.

Bumping the last update pic.
Sides attached.
IMG_2105_zps0e925fd6.jpg

Awesome! Thanks again. Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate those harnesses!

That is indeed what the shells are cast in, Flex Foam-it III and I have used "V" on the past shell. Choose to use "III" this time to reduce the overal weight of the shell. The adhesive is called "urebond", and works well. I can lift the shell by picking up on just one of the sides.

Do you get enough of a skin with the III? Or it that even a concern?

Thanks for sharing pics of the molds. Always have an interest in those things. :)

Do you get enough of a skin with the III? Or it that even a concern?

Thanks for sharing pics of the molds. Always have an interest in those things. :)

I had a small area or two that skinned, and I'm not sure why it does. But thankfully its a shell and just gives each one a little character. I will say that I personally have had better results with the III over the V.

What makes it skin is back pressure usually. Which in this case I would guess you're only gonna get along the edges where the mold has 2 sides vs the middle that is wide open.

Deric, it sounds like you may be counting "skinned" as the area without a smooth skin rather than the areas that did develop one. Flex-Foam it is indeed supposed to be self-skinning - I'm anxious to try that for some dino skins and batsuits! Your shells look like they came out well. How heavy would you say each one is? Did you make the fronts from the same material? Will they just velcro to the front of the harness?

Did you do anything with the dragon skin masks to make them firmer in places? Which durometer dragon skin did you go with? Do you have any issues with them folding or warping when worn?

Now that I have a better understanding the terminology. The Flex-foam does a good job of skinning. But like Kevin said, back pressure is key. There are a few spots where the foam had little pressure because it took several pours and shows open cells in the foam. In other areas the skin peeled off when demanding, GRR! But after paint I don't think anything will be noticeable, and just gives it character.

The front shell is the same material. The weight of the entire shell is less than 15 pounds. I believe the shell that was done with the 'V" series weighed over 20. So much lighter with the "III".

I didn't back any of the dragon skin because I removed the skins from the molds and it would be nearly impossible to do afterwards. I have also been told that the foam may not bond properly if just using it to pad areas. Nothing really wants to bond to silicone besides silicone.

I used the DS 10 Fast. Some areas could use some padding to hold shape better. The biceps are probably the worst. It all depends on how thick you cast it though.

If you ever try it out on any dino skins or batsuits I better know about it! I can't get enough of seeing what other people do.

Painted up the front shells.

9726c08e-9ef8-40d2-946d-af15636c3792_zpse2106c8b.jpg

Painted up a set of sai and threw them in Mikey's belt for a test look. May change the grip to a brown tint, but I have reference shots in both colors...so?

IMG_2111_zpsa182daf5.jpg

May try to paint the shells tonight after some of the family Easter weekend activities, but otherwise enjoy the weekend RPF'ers!

Dress up as Michelangelo and ninja kick the dang rabbit (Easter Bunny). ;)

You use psycho paints for the dragonskin, but what do you paint the shells with?

Also, you are hand rotocasting (slosh casting) these heads right?
How do you make sure the dragon skin gets evenly distributed in such a confined mold area?
Do you brush the dragonskin in for the first layers? All of the layers?

Last edited:

Dress up as Michelangelo and ninja kick the dang rabbit (Easter Bunny). ;)

You use psycho paints for the dragonskin, but what do you paint the shells with?

Also, you are hand rotocasting (slosh casting) these heads right?
How do you make sure the dragon skin gets evenly distributed in such a confined mold area?
Do you brush the dragonskin in for the first layers? All of the layers?

Hahaa. The dark side is strong with you. :devil

The shells are being painted with acrylics.

All the parts, including the head is done by rotocasting (slosh casting).
As I rotate the parts, I often slide my hand in the mold and brush the silicone to areas that may be thin. It is very messy process. Silicone all over the forearm. I have also stuck my iphone inside of the molds to video the surface areas to check proper coverage.
I repeat the rotocasting about 4 times for the head. Other parts like the torso are divided into sections at a time. Then repeat all of them 3 or so times. Very time consuming.

Man I want it soooooooooo badly.

If I could give them away, you'd be on the short list! :D

Haha would never ask for them to be given away. I will be on the short list, with cash, when they are sold.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back