Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds (Finished Phasma Helmet on Page 7)

I could possibly be talked into laying up a few more sets, but fiberglass is a lot more labor-intensive than your usual vacformed trooper armor. Shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can work out.
Have you shipped out phasma helmets yet?

Hey Thor, have you thought about what you're going to do for gaskets yet? I have a set of ANOVOS gaskets but they don't leave much room for error (or mobility).

If you have a more elegant solution I'm all ears :)

Hey Thor, have you thought about what you're going to do for gaskets yet? I have a set of ANOVOS gaskets but they don't leave much room for error (or mobility).

If you have a more elegant solution I'm all ears :)

I figured I'd just wrap a bunch of rubber bands around my knees and elbows and then spraypaint them black before getting into the suit. I don't see why that would be a problem.

Minor update. CNC Carving has begun for the TIE Pilot. Here's a pic of the finalized 3D model:

Hopefully I'll be able to get the whole thing ready to mold in the next couple or three days.

Meanwhile, my friend Matt has made significant progress on the first of the three boxes to attach to the TIE Pilot chest:

At the same time, Ian continues to churn out parts. Here's the back of the new, larger sized chest that he's making:

I can't express how completely the armor wouldn't be coming together in time if it weren't for his hard work.

So while this project has slowed a bit in my shop, we'll be molding the last few parts and churning out last few laid up parts in short order. Then it's just a matter of trimming, painting, and strapping it all together.

The plan is for Ian and Matt to wear TIE Pilot costumes to the premier while Ian's wife Anna will be dressed as Phasma. Meanwhile, I'll be back east with my girlfriend dressed as Phasma while I'm busting out another TIE Pilot for myself. Nothing like a last-minute rush to keep your attention.

I do, but need time and funds before I embark on that path. Keep me in mind!

Ian and Anna are back in the shop this week and together we'll be finishing up the Phasma build in a mad rush. Here she is trying on some of the armor parts:

Once we get the shoulders in padded out in the right, I think she'll look great.

Ian has carved and molded a larger version of the chest. Here he is doing a test-fit with the mold:

He also carved out a larger version of the back which we'll be molding today:

And a bigger version of the forearms. Here's a size comparison with one of the smaller ones:

Yesterday Anna smoothed out the boxes for the waist section with some XTC-3D resin:

She also used it to smooth out the parts for the pistol:

With little love from a file and some fine sandpaper those parts will be ready for molding. The last couple of pistol bits is on the 3D printer now. Hopefully there won't be any problems with the main body or the sight assembly. Fingers crossed.

On the TIE pilot front, the first of three carves for the TIE pilot helmet finished up on Sunday:

The second one was done yesterday, but I failed to snap any photos of it. The third one is in progress right now, so hopefully I'll have the carved pieces assembled before I allow myself to sleep tonight.

My friend Matt has finally finished th first of the three chest boxes:

And finally, I've found the best jackboots I can to match the look of the ones on the Sideshow action figure:

After I dye the stitches along the soles black, they'll need a lot of polishing in order to look the part and I wish they were a little bit taller, but I think they'll do the trick.

More to come. Stay tuned...

Dude your Tie bucket is going to be awesome. My only problem is I am going to be sending all my money to Shawn because he can't stop making awesomeness. Merry Christmas indeed!

Always love your updates!! Awesome stuff!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TIE Pilot helmet parts carved:

Waste removed:

Partial assembly:

Here's Ian trying it on:

I think maybe I'm a little short for a TIE pilot:

I may be tempted to make a slightly smaller version so I'll look right on me, but that'll be next month or later.

Either way, here's the main body with a copious amount of black primer (since I had to see how it would look):

Matt finished making the second chest box, but I'm an idiot and I neglected to snap a photo of it. Suffice it to say, he nailed it.

On the armor front, Anna spent some time prepping the larger chest prototype for molding:

We'll be molding this beast today:

Same goes for the larger shoulder armor that Ian is polishing here:

The larger forearms are almost ready to go:

So are the waist boxes:

Here's the pistol parts as they look right now:

All of the proceedings have been watched over by this guy doing his Tarzan impression above one of the benches:

Meanwhile, I'm putting the finishing touches on another prototype for the book:

So today will see a lot of moldmaking progress. Comments welcome. Stay tuned...

With ref to your Phasma. It looks good mate. Well done with the chrome. The original is not gunmetal at all. Not even close. It's straight up chrome vac metalising with a light dirty down.

Last edited:

great update. All the pictures are very helpful for people to see how much labor is involved.

Beautiful work Shawn! I've always enjoyed watching your amazing projects :)

Something I noticed about the TIE and Snowtrooper shoulder pads - are you going to extend the length of them downward? Based on the toys and costumes seen so far (TIE pilot, Snowtrooper) it looks like the lower part of the shoulder pad is longer than the TK/Captain Phasma version (maybe because they don't have bicep armour?).

...about the TIE and Snowtrooper... ...it looks like the lower part of the shoulder pad is longer than the TK/Captain Phasma version

Good catch. I'll definitely have to extend a pair of shoulders and remold them for the TIE Pilot and (if I ever get around to it) the snowtrooper.

It's been a while since my last update on these projects, so here goes...

Last week was a lot of molding, casting, and fume-filled fiberglass funk. Here's a shot of Ian and Anna glassing the last handful of molds:

Here's Anna taking a brief break before diving in and getting to work on the buttplate mold:

While they were doing that, I was prepping the gauntlets for molding:

And making mold boxes for some of the other pieces. Here's the box for the waist blocks:

Once we had a bunch of pieces ready for rubber molds, we started mixing and pouring. Here's the print coat on the gauntlets (in two different sizes):

Here you can see me finishing up the silicone pour for the waist boxes:

The gauntlets were designed to have a removable section on the inside of the forearm to make it easier for folks with bigger hands to get them on and off. Here's the mold boxes for the removable section:

And here I am pouring it:

In all, we burned through at least seven or eight gallons of silicone in a couple of days:

Meanwhile, fiberglass work continued. Here's Anna double-checking the black gelcoat coverage in the waist mold:

Here we are getting started on the fiberglass layup for a waist section:

This is Ian trying on the first pull from the larger-sized chestplate:

Later, he was appraising the first pull from the new buttplate mold:

Fiberglass molding was still happening much later in the week than I'd have liked. One of the last pieces to be molded was the larger-sized vest/back piece. Here I am prying the mold halves apart:

The back side popped off easily enough, but the front side proved a bit more difficult:

Once it was removed, the prototype was destroyed and the molds were polished up. Here's a group of us in the middle of that process:

At this point we almost had a full set of parts for the Phasma suit:

We were missing the right thigh (one of the last fiberglass pieces to be molded) and the forearms. So it was time to get back to work on the gauntlet molds. Anna and I spent some time thickening them up:

The dog (her name is "Leeloo") played a vital supervisory role.

After a while, we'd made all of the fiberglass parts we needed and the molds were getting in the way:

Once they were broken down, most of them fit neatly into a large moving box:

With time running short, we curtained off an area of the workshop and set Ian up with the cutting wheel so he could trim all of the fiberglass parts:

Meanwhile, the rest of us were hard at work. Here's Cary laying up fiberglass mothermolds for the gauntlets:

Here's Matt talking his wife through the process of priming a trimmed helmet:

A little while later we had Matt try on a set of fiberglass parts (so we could dress him as a TIE Pilot):

On the TIE Pilot front, things were running behind. Matt managed to finish all of the chest boxes and I'd done the final sanding and gloss coat. Then they went under rubber. That night must have been the coldest night in the history of my workshop though because even a full 36 hours later, the silicone was still sticky. Hoping for the best, we forged ahead with progress on the helmet. Since we didn't have enough time to wait for the 3D printer to crank out the visor attachment for the top of the helmet, Matt went ahead and shaped one by hand:

Here's Ian trying on the helmet prototype with some of the fiberglass parts:

The prototype needed a bit more polish, but here it is with it's first gloss coat:

Once the glossy lime green had dried, Anna set it up for molding:

Then it was time for the print coat:

For a moment she had quite a lot of help:

But mostly she was on her own:

In the end, we ran out of time and we weren't able to have any of the four suits we were working on ready in time for the premiere. That's the bad news.

The good news is that a new friend of mine in Southern California used one of my Phasma helmets and the Phasma-specific add-on parts (codpiece, hands, and ankle plates) and modified her Anovos Stormtrooper suit so she could wear it to the premier. Here's a good photo of her:

and another one:

This one has been getting around a bit more online though:

Here she is with the original:

And finally, a full-length shot:

I think she did a pretty good job.

What an honor my friend.
She looks great.
You must be proud.
I know I keep saying it but, I'm so blown away by you and your friends talent.
Robert

Incredible work and amazing dedication :) Thanks for sharing - glad to see some of your work made it into the premiere too, and I can't wait to see your Phasma and TIE pilot finished!

She looks great.
You must be proud.

Thanks. I really am pretty proud of this one. While I didn't manage to get my own copy together in time for the premier, it also worked out okay since I ended up stuck going to a theater that wasn't allowing costumes. In the end, I'm perfectly alright with this one being at the actual red carpet without me:

...I can't wait to see your Phasma and TIE pilot finished!

Me too. I'm out of the shop for a few days during the holidays. But here's my friend Ian having fun in my absence:

If nothing else, It's nice to know that the TIE helmet casts are coming out nice and strong.

Now I just need someone to snap some photos of the first set of chest box castings (because I forgot to take any) and I can do a proper update.

All of that is looking great.

And the break is well deserved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back