Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds

Thanks guys. Soon I'll be able to post a pic of a finished Phasma helmet too.

I've also got to get a start on the TIE Pilot helmet. On that note, does anyone have more photos of the suit on display at the Power of the Costume exhibit in New York? I'm still missing a lot of details and I need to start shopping for the right boots.

Shiny, weathered, finished Phasma helmet:

I may have gotten a bit carried away with the weathering on the back side:

So that's a thing.

Meanwhile, here's the pieces that Ian has been working on:

I've also got the chest, back, and codpiece ready for molding. With a bit more work I'll have the shoulder pauldrons, waist parts, and butt plate ready to go as well.

Last edited:

Shiny, weathered, finished Phasma helmet:
So that's a thing.

Meanwhile, here's the pieces that Ian has been working on:

I've also got the chest, back, and codpiece ready for molding. With a bit more work I'll have the shoulder pauldrons, waist parts, and butt plate ready to go as well.

XqHCyTb.gif

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds (Finished Phasma Helmet on Page 7)

That chrome came out great. Those of us that ordered a completed helmet will have the choice of clean or weathered?

Very nice Phasma helmet... love it!

The chrome looks just like the movie version, I have a feeling they used the same product.

The chrome looks just like the movie version, I have a feeling they used the same product.

Probably not, but it's pretty damned close. What I've gathered from FX friends who've seen it in person and would know the difference is that it's actually more of a gunmetal color. It still looks really bright and shiny in studio lighting, but it's not the super bright mirror reflection you'd find on the chrome trim on a car. The Mirrachrome does a pretty good job of faking that. Then, just like C-3PO, it's pretty obvious they smeared all manner of grime over it in order to tone it down for the cameras.

Absolutely stunning! That chrome turned out great and I love how the weathering on the back came out kind of oily looking.

This thread is awesome. Great work. You are very talented.

Love the weathered Phasma helmet. The other armor looks fantastic too. :thumbsup

Speaking of awesome, Ian and Anna spent the last week helping in the workshop. He's the guy who has the other Carvewright and, since his wife is about the same size as my girlfriend, we've been churning out parts for both of them. Here's Ian test-fitting the buttplate for Anna:

Anna was building up a parting wall for the back piece (also the inner part of the chest I suppose). Here's the chest all prepped and ready to mold after a coat of PVA release:

The chest was the first part that I laid down gelcoat on:

But shortly after it was done, there were plenty of other parts that were coated:

Once the gelcoat was cured, it was time to start the fiberglass layup:

Anna helped with the layup:

Meanwhile, Ian spent a lot of time playing catchup on the handful of parts that still needed prep work and paint:

With the fiberglass layup cured, the next step was to drill bolt holes in molds that had flanges:

It was a pretty busy week with long hours, but eventually we got to the point where we could demold most of the prototypes:

Sadly, the chest is too small to fit Ian:

The broken prototype makes it look like it will work for me though:

And it's a great fit for Anna:

So the whole week really was a blur of polishing parts:

Then building parting walls:

Then gelcoating:

Then glassing molds, cleaning up molds and prepping more parts:

At this point we have the fiberglass molds made up for all of the big parts except for the right thigh. I still need to tweak the shape of the holster block:

Meanwhile, the molds that were ready all got polished up on Saturday afternoon/evening:

Because I'm a masochist, I spent my Sunday laying up armor parts. Here's a few of the molds coated with gelcoat:

The very first piece of fiberglass Phasma/First Order trooper armor I pulled from the molds was the knee:

Then a calf:

Then a shin:

Then some ankle plates:

Then a vadpiece (that's the female version of "codpiece," right?):

Then a chest:

Then I decided I needed to take an early evening before my head exploded.

Stay tuned for more updates. Next I'll be polishing up the molds for the waist, the left thigh, and making a smoosh mold for the finger armor:

A girl needs finger armor:

I also have to finish tuning up these last few pieces:

So there's much to be done. These are exciting times...

Speechless!

That is ÷%+ing amazing!!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back