Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I'm tired of seeing computer consoles where the graphics are always moving and showing off some sort of computational analysis on multiple screens. Just once I'd like to see real computer windows and the frustration of waiting for a program to load up before they start saving the day. And how many times have you seen this... the person starts typing on the keyboard and never makes a single mistake while his fingers are flying at 100 wpm! So unrealistic!

They go to edit/play video or audio or apply image editing techniques and it's 100% keyboard. No one ever uses a damn mouse. I've seen them do cad on pure keyboard. Just doensn't work that way.

The holographic computer on CSI was just a complete 'oh please' moment....

Sharlto Copley as some type of mechanized character....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Facebook-page-header.jpg
    Facebook-page-header.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 222
Although it doesn't happen that much anymore these days I get tired of seeing gross errors in military uniforms or protocols. I started watching the first episode of S2 of Helix yesterday and I saw one of the biggest goofs from the Sergeant Major in the Stargate SG-1 pilot, they had the captain of a Coast Guard cutter wearing the rank pin of a PO1 on her collars. A minute of looking on Google would have told them that all officers in the US military use the same exact insignia, even if the exact rank title/name differs, and a little more research would have told them that US Coast Guard rank insignia closely mimics those of the US Navy. Either their costumer is totally incompetent or somebody at a surplus shop had know idea of what they're doing or was playing a joke on the costumer.

Poor research, that's all it is. I'm sure a doctor can point out all kinds of errors in most medical shows, for example.
There's a common urban myth that movies must contain errors in military uniforms as it's illegal to dress up in a complete uniform if you're not in the military.
That's a steaming load and has never been the case. Yes, it's illegal to dress up as a military member and pass yourself off as such to someone. Movies, stage plays and such are totally exempt from that. Nobody arrested Tom Hanks for walking around the Lincoln Memorial in a perfectly accurate Army enlisted uniform and a Medal of Honor, did they? Nope!

A couple more:

-Planets that have one consistent environment over the entire planet. I keep waiting for Star Wars to feature a clown planet where the entire surface is one giant circuis big top...

-Aliens who are held by the government and want to get home have ZERO maliciousness at all (such as ET, Paul, Super 8, etc), especially after being held for so long. Just once I want to see a movie where the kids help the alien get away and the FBI guy runs up and says, "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? That alien was a scout for an invasion force, we have all his computer data on how they're going to milk the planet for all the resources and eat all the humans, and you just let him go to tell his people how easy we'll be to invade! Him being held was the only thing preventing them from invading us!"

Now that you mention it, have we ever seen a planet in the Star Wars Universe that has more than one type of environment? Maybe Naboo just because they went underwater?

And yet.......I know in the literature these planets are described as swamp planet, ice planet, so forth, but other than Couroscant I don't remember anyone in the movies actually referring to these planets as such. I mean, we never saw the north pole on Tatooine, or any other part of Dagobah. Maybe Yoda just lives in the Everglades part of Dagobah? Luke just says "No cities or technology"--doesn't neccesarally mean the whole planet is a swamp.

Last edited:
Sci-Fi/fantasy movies that take place in an elaborately conceived setting (e.g. visually, politically, scientifically ...) where the plot/themes necessarily centers around the existence of the setting.

For example, take Elysium. I would have liked to have seen a movie that takes place in the setting but has nothing to do with the overthrow of Elysium.
Or movies that take place in The Matrix setting that aren't about the destruction/reboot of The Matrix.
Or stories in the Logan's Run universe that aren't about the overthrow of dystopian society.

Blade Runner could have easily been about tearing down the "evil" Tyrell Corporation and saving replicants. It's more powerful and credible simply because it's NOT about that. While it does anchor its themes with Tyrell I wouldn't mind BR stories that are just detective stories.

I would like to see good stories that just happen to exist in dystopian societies but remain about the characters - even without the requisite thematic undertones.

That´s why I like GOTHAM so much, it´s not about Batman but mainly a Police story with "familiar characters"

Markus

It's never explored how Coruscant being completely covered by city is a very, very bad thing. How does it even have a breathable atmosphere? Is it all maintained artificially? It's just an open-face Death Star?

Help arriving only AFTER the good guys have almost been totally obliterated. For example. Eywa in Avatar comes in to help during the final battle after all the Navi forces have been obliterated. Why the wait? Does Eywa secretly hate the Navi and only chimed in to save herself?

Help arriving only AFTER the good guys have almost been totally obliterated. For example. Eywa in Avatar comes in to help during the final battle after all the Navi forces have been obliterated. Why the wait? Does Eywa secretly hate the Navi and only chimed in to save herself?

Better example... The Navy blows up the shredders just as they are about to land on the the deck of the ship in Battleship!

As a former soldier, I'm sick of soldiers being characterized as psychos and bloodthirsty. Really prevelant in sci-fi. Neill Blomkamp does this a lot and frankly, it's offensive to me to see career military types being portrayed this way so often in film.

That was one reason I HATED AVATAR!

Better example... The Navy blows up the shredders just as they are about to land on the the deck of the ship in Battleship!
At least in that case, the rest of the Navy was prevented from getting there by the shield, which the Mighty Mo had just turned off. The truly funny point about that was as the Admiral is on the deck screaming they need planes in the air, not one engine is running. Deck crews on a carrier are fast, but it takes time to spool up the engines, get a hornet onto the cat for launch, get it airborne and formed up with the other planes in the strike package, not to mention flying time to get there and that's assuming they even knew where to go... And then there's the issue as to how they couldn't easily destroy them on the islands beforehand?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back