Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Two things about cars:

1. Product placement. I swear that the only good episodes of the walking dead are the one's without a Hyundai.

Never mind the Winnebago... And Dodge Challenger... And the Jeep Grand Cherokee.... And the Dodge Charger.... J/k :p

2. Average characters driving vintage cars. No one really does that unless they are into cars. Skyler white wouldn't have that old jeep wagon. She would have a dodge caravan.

Well, there are those that do drive vintage cars (something like the 1970s on back), but don't do it all the time (basically the car sort of being a weekend car). And there are those that drive older cars that has somehow managed to keep rolling, often no older than 20 years (I myself drive a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country, primarily because it was handed down to me). I get the idea of The Dukes of Hazzard TV show using a 1969 Dodge Charger for the Dukes because they were more available that its believable the Duke Boys would find one on the cheap and fix it up for doing racing. But for the Dukes of Hazzard movie that came out a few years ago, it doesn't make sense because racing nowadays is different than how it was in the 1970s.

On TV they are, Ford and Chevy sponsor a lot of TV shows.

And they are typically the newest vehicle, not something that that is so average or within a 10 year period old, the clear coat coming off of the vehicle and the paint fading, with dents and scratches from years of use. The only vehicle I can think of that wasn't as such was Walter White's Pontiac Aztec in Breaking Bad, which was a commercial failure and purposefully selected to reflect how pathetic Walter White was.

And they are typically the newest vehicle, not something that that is so average or within a 10 year period old, the clear coat coming off of the vehicle and the paint fading, with dents and scratches from years of use. The only vehicle I can think of that wasn't as such was Walter White's Pontiac Aztec in Breaking Bad, which was a commercial failure and purposefully selected to reflect how pathetic Walter White was.

Of course, those are the vehicles the sponsor wants to show off and sell to the viewer. That's the whole point of doing it. TV sponsorships aren't charity, they're advertising.

Of course, those are the vehicles the sponsor wants to show off and sell to the viewer. That's the whole point of doing it. TV sponsorships aren't charity, they're advertising.

Even so, Dodge has sponsored Defiance in both game and TV show formats, and they were allowed to rust them and dirty their Challenger, Charger and Durango vehicles, as if they were decades old.

Speaking of The Walking Dead, who's cutting the grass?

No one. The first season to the mid-season of Season 2 takes place. weeks after the zombie apocalypse (which means that people were mowing their grass, even after Rick Grimes was in his coma, and prior to the full on outbreak of the Walkers. Grass typically takes 14 days to grow). After the mid-season of Season 2, it starts to roll on for a couple of months (going into the fall, because its pointed out in one of the making-ofs that winter is approaching and that the swamps are freezing up, thus allowing for Walkers to get closer to the farm). I don't know if you live in the south, but if you mow your lawn in the late fall/early winter, it's not going to grow until next spring. The start of Season 3 was months later, just shortly after spring. And then after Season 3, the grass and vegetation have been seen growing wild (such as the Season 4 episode where the group encounter a building covered in kudzu). For Woodbury and Alexandra, clearly they have people mowing the lawns.

But if that logical answer isn't enough for you....

Zombies+need+some+appreciation+how+come+no+one+appreciate+their_f7c7bf_4539163.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Ohio and cut my grass at least once a week.

And it's weird, on the tv show "Last Man on Earth', there are no cars on any road. They are all tucked away. I guess it was easier to do it that way. No need to stage elaborate pile-ups.

I live in Ohio and cut my grass at least once a week.

And it's weird, on the tv show "Last Man on Earth', there are no cars on any road. They are all tucked away. I guess it was easier to do it that way. No need to stage elaborate pile-ups.

For me, down here in Florida, it takes a couple of weeks for the grass in my yard to grow. I normally end up waiting at minimum there weeks to mow it. But during the late Fall/early winter, I can mow it just once and don't have to touch it until spring comes back around. Also, I don't know what type of grass it is, but but it doesn't grow very high if I don't mow it after three weeks.

...I get the idea of The Dukes of Hazzard TV show using a 1969 Dodge Charger for the Dukes because they were more available that its believable the Duke Boys would find one on the cheap and fix it up for doing racing. But for the Dukes of Hazzard movie that came out a few years ago, it doesn't make sense because racing nowadays is different than how it was in the 1970s...
I don't disagree, but fans of the television series were very vocal about their dislike of the movie. Can you imagine how bad it would have been if the producers of the movie had used a different car for the General Lee? :eek

I don't disagree, but fans of the television series were very vocal about their dislike of the movie. Can you imagine how bad it would have been if the producers of the movie had used a different car for the General Lee? :eek

Yeah, I get it how upset that the fans would have been if The General Lee was a modern car (hell, they probably would have been upset if the General had an American Flag on the roof instead of a Rebel Flag). Honestly, being a long time Knight Rider fan, I can't tell you how many times I've heard the argument about KITT should remain a 1980s Trans-Am if/when the film comes. But I'm probably the only person, if not in the minority, about KITT being in the Ford Mustang (in 2005 I created a fake movie poster where I presented what I felt KITT would look like in a Ford Mustang, about three years prior to the attempted reboot/continuation which featured a Shelby Mustang). I can't tell you the countless "KITT should be an 1980s Trans-Am" comment to the point where I had to say, "LOOK! The reason why KITT was a 1980s Trans-Am was because the show was made in the 1980s, and the fact that they were common on the road. In fact the show drove the point about how much he looked like a normal car, and even more so a regular Trans-Am, on the outside. If he was tailing someone nowadays, people would notice a 1982 Trans-Am because they're not as common nowadays! There are Mustangs on the road right now, and KITT would blend in!"). The only way that the DoH film would have worked with a '69 Dodge Charger is if they had the film set in the 1970s (like the series, or even the original film that the show was based on, Moonrunners), which would have been more believable in explaining why the Dukes have the General, which would be for overland racing (which in comparison to nowadays, a '69 Charger probably wouldn't be allowed to be used in any kind of race due to rules and regulations about vehicles used, unless it was an illegal race).

I used to get into arguments about Knight Rider all the time when it was on (I was in Junior High at the time). People forget that KITT was built as the car the main character had when supposedly "killed" and later had the face lift to look like Hasselhoff. The original character was driving the black car and the Night Institue added all the electronics to the car type he already had. Which made it silly when the other evil car came along and had the same body style.
As for the Dukes of Hazzard, I never understood why re-makes have to include new characters. That show had plenty of characters, they didn't need to write in a new one for, say, Farva from Super Troopers...
As for General Lee, I liked that they addressed the CSA flag on the hood in a modern context and explained why it was there (as a lifelong historical re-enactor, I loved that Cooter and his pals were Confederate re-enactors). The only way you'd get away with that painted on a car today, even in the South, would be as a replica of that very car. heck, they could have painted a Confederate National Flag instead if they'd wanted to:
CSA+National+Flag.jpg

When they revamped the KITT ar in the recent reboot of the series, I was totally disgusted to see them try and turn him into a transformer! I mean really? You're gonna have a mustang turn into a avalanche? What, the motor company wasn't satisfied with endorsing the show unless you stuck 1 or 3 different other cars in there as well? I could handle the self changing paint job, that was pretty cool and more realistic, but turning him into a transformer really went across the line for me.

As for General Lee, I liked that they addressed the CSA flag on the hood in a modern context and explained why it was there (as a lifelong historical re-enactor, I loved that Cooter and his pals were Confederate re-enactors). The only way you'd get away with that painted on a car today, even in the South, would be as a replica of that very car.

Eh? I see the Confederate Flag on cars all over: large car magnets, semi-transparent rear window decals, painted on hoods, full-size 3'x5' flags on poles mounted in the truck bed... and I live in Pennsylvania!

Unless, of course, the lead character's car is used for comedic effect like the 1970 Chevy Nova Eddie Murphy's character drove in Beverly Hills Cop.

That Nova was the first time I ever noticed an old, beat up movie car that was SPOTLESSLY clean inside the trunk, and in the doors when they were opened.

Eh? I see the Confederate Flag on cars all over: large car magnets, semi-transparent rear window decals, painted on hoods, full-size 3'x5' flags on poles mounted in the truck bed... and I live in Pennsylvania!
It depends on where you live, I guess.
I'm from Florida originally and I know a couple of guys who has CSA stuff on their cars, and they got vandalized right where the flag is. One got dog poop thrown at them once and the throwers were yelling something about them being racist (in both cases, they were civil war re-enactors). I heard on the radio recently that someone city (didn't hear where) was trying to ban the CSA flag in all forms, but that there was little chance of that going through the courts.
And let's not foget the CSA flag being removed as content for state flags (even though the Florida flag has the St Andrews cross as a direct reference to the CSA 'battle' flag but it wasn't nearly as obvious that way).
I grew up as a confederate re-enactor and my borther and I were both named after Confederate Generals, I sure as heck have no problems with a CSA flag, but in this day of PC-isms, plenty of people do anymore.

Star Trek did this all the time. You'd see an oblique view of the view screen, and the person at the other end was looking away from the camera. Like a giant aline head is mounted in the front of the bridge, looking away from the camera, as you're looking at the side of their head, something you couldn't see in a 2D image no matter how clear it is when the alien is talking with the Enterprise crew head-on!

That something I never understood at all.... was it suppose to represent 3D and if so why have a screen at all and just have a hologram? Made absolutely no sense whatsoever!

How about people who are dead but don't know it yet?
I've seen several movies where a human body has had something pass through the same space, chopping the body into countless pieces, but the body just stands there until the cubes start sliding apart. Or someone is decapitated and they just stand there until the head slowly slides off. Once that spinal cord is cut, there's nothing to keep the body from standing there. Drives me nuts to see that.
Saw that on the first, "Resident Evil" and I think a movie called, "The cube" had that. So stupid...

...I grew up as a confederate re-enactor and my brother and I were both named after Confederate Generals...
The middle name of one of my former bosses was "Robert E. Lee"; he was from Missouri. Whenever anyone who knew him found out, their response was almost always something to the effect of, "Yeah, that figures," simply because it fit his personality.

That something I never understood at all.... was it suppose to represent 3D and if so why have a screen at all and just have a hologram? Made absolutely no sense whatsoever!
Yes, in-universe the viewscreens on Star Trek were supposed to be 3D/holographic. That being the case, and since they were already in use as viewscreens, why have a separate holographic projector just for communications?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back