The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Please don't use PLA. This is a fairly new material that isn't proven to stand the test of time. It is definitely NOT engineering grade. On the other hand, ABS is a proven engineering-grade material that's very capable and as a bonus it can be chemically welded to butyrate, styrene, and acrylic. That makes it ideal for printing structural parts for our model projects.
Thank you very much. That's what I needed to know. Thank you for your help!

Here are some of my first prints...
Can I ask where you found the thruster 3d files - ie the Saturn V bits, and the windvane files? I pointed then out with red arrows in the attached photo. Thanks
IMG_0035.jpeg

DaveG
i have a question about the saturn main body halfes, how long are they? according to your file, they are around 166mm
but from the bandai 1/72 -> times 3 -> makes 1/24 they are only 159mm
i checked also the diameter wich should be 69mm, wich is right in your step file
but the bandai is only 66mm, witch is 5% smaller (66/69=0,9566)
166*0,9566=159mm
conclusion, i think the bandai is 5% to small, i bought/only found the revell saturn v, maybe theirs is to short, i just want to clarify

Sorry, I have no idea if the Revell Saturn V is too short or if Bandai's kit it undersized. Use what you've got, make it look good and you'll be happy. Nobody is ever going to put a ruler to it! Cheers.

DaveG
i have a question about the saturn main body halfes, how long are they? according to your file, they are around 166mm
but from the bandai 1/72 -> times 3 -> makes 1/24 they are only 159mm
i checked also the diameter wich should be 69mm, wich is right in your step file
but the bandai is only 66mm, witch is 5% smaller (66/69=0,9566)
166*0,9566=159mm
conclusion, i think the bandai is 5% to small, i bought/only found the revell saturn v, maybe theirs is to short, i just want to clarify
I can tell you, authoritatively, that you want to cut your L'eggs Eggs containers at 69.5mm OD, because that is the precise "sweet spot" to have them merge with the Saturn V cans from the vintage Airfix kit in 1/144 scale. As to the length, that's a matter of interpretation and opinion (and may have varied from Y-Wing to Y-Wing), but I think you are probably right in your calculations that the Bandai kit is a little "too small" -- which is why, to my Fibonacci-ratio-preferring eye, the Fine Molds 1/72 Y-Wing is a "better model" than the Bandai 1/72 kit, even though Bandai had access to digital scans of the original where Fine Molds did not.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back