The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

No problem, the distortions should not be there, the resin is flexing on the supports, combination of give and the resin shrinks slightly in the plane of the bed when curing.

Try thicker supports with 2 times larger contact points, and add some more from the bottom edge of the canopy, like this

Supports.jpg

Fantastic THANK YOU! I dont think I will be able to do the rest of the cockpit sections. Think my printer is to small. Waiting on the Saturn to get stocked.

Yes, you would have to break it up into many pieces, the Saturn is going to be a big seller, I have one of the same high-res monochrome screens on order for my custom resin printer.

Yes, you would have to break it up into many pieces, the Saturn is going to be a big seller, I have one of the same high-res monochrome screens on order for my custom resin printer.
Really wishing I could buy a complete greeblie set for it. I know falcon 3D has some but want to get it all in one go. Hoping somone starts making entire kits like the 1/12 tamiya Ferrari 318b etc without car shell of course and I know studiokitbash is working on scanning but again would love to get together with people who do this stuff and commission stuff

I just want to express, once again, the gratitude I feel for you guys sharing your work. Thanks! It goes not only for the files by DaveG but all work everyone has put into this and the other Y-wing projects. Impressive, fascinating and inspiring to say the least!

Me, I am an Oddball in this context as I do not intend to build a replica (well, don't quote me on that one since I feel I will fall for the temptation eventually). No, I use the 3D model and various data (both numbers and pictures) more as inspiration and reference while doing something completely different. Yet it is an Y-wing and accuracy is paramount, just not the same way as with prop replicas. I hope to show and tell more later on but as for now I just want to give a grateful cheer to everyone that has contributed to collecting data and compiling models and other stuff. Just mindblowing work and awesome results.

THE FORWARD FUSELAGE FILES ARE BACK UP!

I've decided to take a chance and repost the 3D printing files for the Forward Fuselage in the Open Source files repository. Not having them available is a big stumbling block for many and the whole purpose of the Open Source project was to encourage other build. The files are here:

Please, please, PLEASE do not use these files for anything other than personal builds. Please do not print and sell parts. It's digital recasting and while, realistically, there is nothing I can do to stop you... it's so not cool!

Enjoy. Build. Post!
1st off - as Many have said - This is INCREDIBLY Generous and AMAZING for DaveG to share these files!! What an incredible journey it's been to watch all this and the amazing work done by others because of ONE GREAT person willing to share with so many. So THANK YOU Dave.

I do have a question if anyone is also experiencing. All the files import great, and size up perfectly by 2540%. However, for some reason, these four files come in at 1000000%. I'm using Cura, and no matter what I do to try and downsize, they only show up as a 'shadow', are not selectable and are just in the object list, can't be selected as an object.
Main Fuselage Mid Port Section
Main Fuselage Mid Starboard Section
Main Fuselage Underside Yolk
Main Fuselage Aft Ring

Any ideas on how to fix or import these in the same scale/size as the other Main Fuselage STL's?

Thanks a BUNCH in advance - this 3D printing world is totally new to me, so I know I have a lot of learning to do..

Thanks,
Sean

1st off - as Many have said - This is INCREDIBLY Generous and AMAZING for DaveG to share these files!! What an incredible journey it's been to watch all this and the amazing work done by others because of ONE GREAT person willing to share with so many. So THANK YOU Dave.

I do have a question if anyone is also experiencing. All the files import great, and size up perfectly by 2540%. However, for some reason, these four files come in at 1000000%. I'm using Cura, and no matter what I do to try and downsize, they only show up as a 'shadow', are not selectable and are just in the object list, can't be selected as an object.
Main Fuselage Mid Port Section
Main Fuselage Mid Starboard Section
Main Fuselage Underside Yolk
Main Fuselage Aft Ring

Any ideas on how to fix or import these in the same scale/size as the other Main Fuselage STL's?

Thanks a BUNCH in advance - this 3D printing world is totally new to me, so I know I have a lot of learning to do..

Thanks,
Sean
Hi Sean,

Tonight, I'll recreate your noted steps in Cura, look for a resolution, and post an update.

***UPDATE*** - Hey Cheesy, all, I figured it out. I just opened those 4 files in a STL viewer, reduced the size to 25%, saved as a .3mf file. Then dropped that into Cura, resized to 2540% - BOOM, perfect size!! Thanks, Sean

Thank You Cheesy - When I drop the .stl's into Cura, a little alert window at bottom comes up with "Scaling Object - Auto scaled object to 10,000% of original size" PS, it's 10,000% not 100,000%....

Last edited:
Thank You Cheesy - When I drop the .stl's into Cura, a little alert window at bottom comes up with "Scaling Object - Auto scaled object to 10,000% of original size" PS, it's 10,000% not 100,000%....
OK, I can recreate the issue in Cura 4.7. Here's what I did to override Cura's auto-scaling function:

1. Open the STL in Cura
2. If you cannot see the STL on the print bed, select the STL name in the Object List:

Cura_MidPort_Obj.png

3. With the STL selected, open the Scale menu. Ensure 'Uniform Scaling' is checked/selected. Overwrite the 10000 with 2540 and then press Enter. X, Y, and Z scaling values should all update to 2540:
Cura_MidPort_Scale.png

4. If all went as planned, you should see a correctly scaled STL on your print bed:
Cura_MidPort_Final.png

Hope this helps!

Chris

OK, I can recreate the issue in Cura 4.7. Here's what I did to override Cura's auto-scaling function:

1. Open the STL in Cura
2. If you cannot see the STL on the print bed, select the STL name in the Object List:

View attachment 1432256

3. With the STL selected, open the Scale menu. Ensure 'Uniform Scaling' is checked/selected. Overwrite the 10000 with 2540 and then press Enter. X, Y, and Z scaling values should all update to 2540:
View attachment 1432263

4. If all went as planned, you should see a correctly scaled STL on your print bed:
View attachment 1432264

Hope this helps!

Chris
Thank You Chris. I'm using 4.8, I did exactly as you noted above, but all it displays is a 'shadow' on the build plate - it won't show the model for some reason - could be a bug in new Cura. At any rate, by importing a reduced size .stl, I am able to import it, see the model and scale it properly! So all good - Thanks again!
-Sean

Thank You Chris. I'm using 4.8, I did exactly as you noted above, but all it displays is a 'shadow' on the build plate - it won't show the model for some reason - could be a bug in new Cura. At any rate, by importing a reduced size .stl, I am able to import it, see the model and scale it properly! So all good - Thanks again!
-Sean
I'll DM you. I have an idea.

I have a question about the wing spar 1/2 Aluminum tube. The length ? I'm guessing 12 inches? And when it comes to wall thickness, .049" is what was called for. Would 0.035" wall thickness work? Another question what about a solid rod? would that work as well? Thanks for your time, Tim.

I have a question about the wing spar 1/2 Aluminum tube. The length ? I'm guessing 12 inches? And when it comes to wall thickness, .049" is what was called for. Would 0.035" wall thickness work? Another question what about a solid rod? would that work as well? Thanks for your time, Tim.
Hello! The wing spar tube should be 10 inches long. .035" wall tubing should work fine, you could probably even use K&S 1/2" brass tubing which has a .016" wall and is widely available in hobby shops. Solid rod is fine also, but heavier, and the hollow tube is nice if you want to run wires for engine lighting.

Thanks Dave. I was thinking the same thing with hollow tubing and running wires. The piece I was looking at is in fact K&S Aluminum 1/2 OD x 0.035 wall thickness 12" piece so I will have to cut 2 inches. Cool. Thank you so much.

One more question I almost forgot. Is there a adhesive for styrene to pla. I was wondering if you could plate the Fuselage if printed in PLA with Styrene sheets? Or is ABS the best way to go? thanks again. Off to buy the wing spar. Thanks again for your time!

One more question I almost forgot. Is there a adhesive for styrene to pla. I was wondering if you could plate the Fuselage if printed in PLA with Styrene sheets? Or is ABS the best way to go? thanks again. Off to buy the wing spar. Thanks again for your time!
This guy swears by EMA Plasticweld for PLA. It definitely works on styrene (and acrylic), but it might only be available in the UK. I think it's the stuff known as MEK elsewhere.

(Edited to correct typing ABS instead of PLA)

Last edited:

Please don't use PLA. This is a fairly new material that isn't proven to stand the test of time. It is definitely NOT engineering grade. On the other hand, ABS is a proven engineering-grade material that's very capable and as a bonus it can be chemically welded to butyrate, styrene, and acrylic. That makes it ideal for printing structural parts for our model projects.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back