The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

THERE HAS BEEN A LITTLE BIT OF CONFUSION ABOUT THE OPEN SOURCE REPOSITORY. THE REPOSITORY IS NOT A COMPLETE SETS OF FILES FOR PRINTING A Y-WING, NOR IS IT ALL OF THE FILES I CREATED FOR THIS PROJECT. FILES FOR PARTS WHICH I WAS SELLING, ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE REPOSITORY. IN ADDITION, ALL OF MY PARTS RUNS FOR THIS PROJECT ARE NOW SOLD OUT AND CLOSED.

Let me just add an Amen to DaveG's post above, and also clarify: I DO sell SOME of the pieces/parts you need to build a Y-Wing, but most specifically and importantly do not sell any of DaveG's armature files, do not sell the head piece, and won't sell you anything you can get directly from Plastruct or a hardware store. I sell sets of several hundred greeblies, with which to dress up the Y-Wing once you have already built the core and armature, and while I sell roughly 97% of the greeblies you do need, there are still a dozen or so that I don't sell simply because a.) somebody else makes them better, b.) I'm not good enough at two-part molds, or c.) I haven't found the original source kit from which to make a casting.

So this is simply to say: the current state of building your own Y-Wing is that you need to go to several different sources to get all the pieces you need, and these include but are not limited to:
DaveG
Masterpiece Models (for Greeblie Packs, Y-Engine Greeblie Packs, and Complete Recastings of the Aurora Sealab III)
Myself (greeblies and T-plate only, this parts run is still open)
Falcon 3D Parts
Ebay (for L'eggs Pantyhose, for Airfix 1/144 Saturn V (x2) that predate 1994, and any other original donor kit you must have)
Plastruct (for T-bar struts item #T-8, most notably)
Shapeways (Esp. 308Bits, Falcon3DParts, BowmanArt, and Goldberg Arts)
Your Hobby Shop (esp. if they sell consignment old models)
Your Hardware Store
Hobby Lobby
Etsy (for Jason Eaton decals, etc)
Your local model club, model convention, model show, model swap meet, etc.
Your studio scale model buidling friends, either real or virtual, who have already built one, and may have a tip, a casting, a spare part, a clue
Lots of time, money, and most importantly: lots and lots of patience.

Long story short: lots of us on RPF are eager and willing to help. But we do appreciate not being approached as though we are a one-stop shop for a ready-made kit. The guys who DO offer those "complete" kits (aka "garage kits") are amazing, but even they have a hard time keeping up with demand, and their runs are usually very limited, even though sometimes you can get lucky on Ebay and find someone selling one who bought it years ago but now realizes he doesn't have time/patience/skill enough to build it.

Super-Duper Excited to see/get these decals Jason -- thanks a bunch for putting in all the legwork to make this happen. Saves us all massive amounts of headache, heartache, and wallet-ache.

Here’s mine in the very very early stages...

8D71C2C3-C31A-4BFE-86B5-1672611D593D.jpeg

Last edited:
I am trying to do a test print of the canopy on my mars pro. I am using chitubox. When it loads its micro size and doing auto scale to fit fills the build plate. That being said I can scale it up and down but legit have no idea what size in mm it is supposed to be.

1601042235374.png

I modeled everything in inches (I know, but when I was a child they said that by the time I was an adult we'd all be on the metric system, and have flying cars. Until I get my flying BMW, I'm sticking with inches!). Scale up by 25.4 and it should be correct. Also you should angle the canopy as steep as possible (front end up) to both lessen the density of supports and effectively increase the resolution. Even though this will greatly lengthen the print time, you'll get a much nicer surface.

I am trying to do a test print of the canopy on my mars pro. I am using chitubox. When it loads its micro size and doing auto scale to fit fills the build plate. That being said I can scale it up and down but legit have no idea what size in mm it is supposed to be.

View attachment 1352278
It will do that if the file was built in anything other than metric and I believe mm. You can either upscale like Dave suggested or open the file in a modeling program and change the units to "mm" it will then import in fine.

yeah sorry if I seem stupid here. I am new to printing just got it. I have printed some other minor stuff and all of this is very confusing. I just wanted to print this to see how it would turn out. I think scaling this correctly might be out of my reach.

No stupid at all! 3D printing can be intimidating at first, especially what to do with settings when something doesn’t look right. The default with all printers is millimeters. There are 25.4 millimeters to an inch. Scale the parts by 25.4 times and everything will be fine. Good luck!

I did do that but isnt that to big? I have built a bunch of studio Y's but its been a bit but given the scale my build plate that looks massive from what I remember

I am sorry if I came across as not believing you. I am sorry if that's what you thought. I have Aspergers. Ok so before a kind person helped me and sent me a pre-sliced file I took Firefox's advice. I did what he had said. Then places support where I thought they should be. This is my first solo piece placing supports manually.

So woke up this morning and the first thing is...SUCCESS the piece printed start to finish. So that is a win as it finished and didn't snap or break with the supports I used. I will post a screengrab with what I did etc. I knew that the large the print the higher the chance you will obv see print lines. After all the bigger the piece no matter the screen resolution the bigger the pixel will be. Learned that when I was rocking my Neo-Geo back in the 90s and Dad bought a larger tv. I digress. So maybe I can increase or I guess decrease the layer size. I have no idea if it can go smaller.

I have noticed some bulges in a few spots near frames on the canopy. Again can't remember if they should be there or if it's because of some sort of mishap on my behalf with the supports or another issue. It has been a bit since I did Red Jammer and dont remember if it should be there.

1601132204517.png
1601132215113.png
120261924_4417405761663791_2527197298350221350_n.jpg
120189467_366636441138420_7558003640538522098_n.jpg
120296982_1152090901851643_5856288716159661881_n.jpg
1601132225905.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back