The suitcase from Fantastic Beasts and how to recognize it

Making progress:
attachment.php

Need to add the corner guards to the case and the copper rivets to the lid. And then the fabric lining on the interior.

ATL

Attachments

• 40 making progress.jpg
    40 making progress.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4,224
Thanks for the kind words!:)

Using a #31 drill bit, I match drilled the holes in the lid frame. This allows for snugly holding the rivets which will need to be removed when I start work on the lining (after DragonCon!):
attachment.php

The outside is finished - woohoo!
attachment.php

Here's the case with (the in-progress) Percival's overcoat in the back ground. I'm a little too old to pass for Newt.
attachment.php

The outside needs to be "distressed" a little bit. I figure 1 trip as checked baggage on a Delta flight ought to do it. :rolleyes

ATL

Attachments

• 41 drill frame.jpg
    41 drill frame.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4,076
  • 42 Outsides done.jpg
    42 Outsides done.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 4,317
  • 43 with Percival.jpg
    43 with Percival.jpg
    913.3 KB · Views: 4,127
Last edited:
Thanks again lynx0099 and ecl!

Just received my magnifying glass!
attachment.php

The Hufflepuff scarf is ordered and I'm working on the suitcase lining... still.

ATL

Attachments

• 44 Magnifying glass.jpg
    44 Magnifying glass.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 2,182
Up until today, the best picture I had of the interior lining was:
attachment.php

It looks to be a fairly bright white with some sort of diamond pattern and then some diagonal gray lines across it.

After searching on-line through hundreds of fabrics, I finally came across this:
attachment.php

I thought this was pretty close and that all I would have to do would be to stencil some gray lines on it, cut it, seam it, and stitch it in. So I bought 3 yards (meters) of it from the UK.

Now... my good friend lynx0099 ;) found this most excellent picture of the inside and the lining:
attachment.php

It looks to be runes arranged in a repeating hex pattern, with brownish diagonal lines, and some faint parallel lines, on a coffee colored background. (Of course the runes are probably necessary to help contain the beasts within). There's no chance I'll ever find this fabric :wacko! The only way that I see of getting anything close to this pattern would be to go through a service something like Spoonflower. But this service requires artwork for a pattern (PNG) and although I'm reasonably good with 2D AutoCAD, Photoshop mystifies me :).

I probably will stay with my original fabric, but dip it in kettle of dark coffee and add the brownish lines.:unsure

ATL

Attachments

• 47 new lining.jpg
    47 new lining.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 2,194
  • 46 blue-green-diamonds-for-you.jpg
    46 blue-green-diamonds-for-you.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,120
  • 45 inside 3.png
    45 inside 3.png
    520 KB · Views: 2,148
attachment.php
attachment.php

...and just when I thought I was going to have to settle for 2nd best, it was kindly pointed out to me that images of the lining are rather well illustrated in the FBaWtFT coloring book. I can scale this and see what happens. :)

Thanks my friend...

ATL

Attachments

• Fantastic Beast Book Color.JPG
    Fantastic Beast Book Color.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 2,142
  • newts wand.png
    newts wand.png
    854.3 KB · Views: 225
  • newts wand rotated.png
    newts wand rotated.png
    854 KB · Views: 2,153
Too bad they didn't show the inside on the screen used case, I had a go at that pattern and there are a LOT of things they did to make it not easily duplicable.

@KevinBGoode
WOW. Thanks very much for sharing the great pictures! Is this at Leavesden? They'll come in handy when I get up the nerve to distress and age my project.:unsure

ATL

Yeah just got back from the Tour. I had a measurement tape with me, but the security gaurd kept on good eye on me so I couldnt get close enough for a measurement.

I have the coloring book and have determined that the liner pattern does repeat - 22 runes/brown lines vertically and 12 runes horizontally.

Also, I tried my hand at etching again. I figured if tried to make 12, one would turn out OK. The middle-right one is usable. This is single sided etching on 0.032" brass.
attachment.php

In the background is part of Seraphina Picquery's costume we're working on. I'll have to start a thread in the costume forum eventually.

ATL

Attachments

• 48 Etched MW.jpg
    48 Etched MW.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2,050
Still dealing with the lining, but in the meantime I've started working on the Muggle Worthy keylock:
attachment.php

I've cut out the slot. A small piece of .015" brass will fit into that slot as a guide.

The housing is a 1/4" long piece of 7/8" diameter brass tube with the front machined to allow the flag to come out the top and the lever to come out the bottom:
attachment.php

I wish I had a vertical mill to do this work, but all I have is a Dremel and drill press. Keep in mind that this is about the diameter of a US quarter coin.:wacko

ATL

Attachments

• 51 Slot cut.jpg
    51 Slot cut.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,950
  • 52 cut opening in cylinder.jpg
    52 cut opening in cylinder.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,927
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back