The suitcase from Fantastic Beasts and how to recognize it

This thread/build is one of the best/most informative I've ever seen! Alt Kenobi has done a wonderful job! I'm still undecided about what colour to use...

The nature of the dark film lighting vs the pictures of the real case reproductions found at displays, then the ones of Pierre showing off some of his harry potter props including the case, all show different shades of the one colour (I assume). I saw on a close up of Alt Kenobi's pics that he used Fiebings oil dye in saddle tan, and then treated it to a darker shade.

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this. Do you go the shade it looks in the movie? Do you dye it closer to the real display cases? Sometimes it looks like a medium brown, sometimes it looks like walnut, or russet, or english tan!

IMG_7085.JPGimage-2.jpeg6 top.pngCase Close up 2.png

I prefer the warmer tone of the bottom one, however color matching is definitely not my strong suit. I am amazed by your dedication, especially when looking under the table. I am keen to see which one you end up going with.

The ones under the table are antique/vintage cases that I’ve sourced over the last little while either due to the fact they looked similar to newts case (like most here I’m sure sourcing a vintage case is where we look first) actually they represent a fraction of the cases I’ve gone through for parts (locks, hinges, proper strong steel bag feet, rim corner stabilisers etc...) I originally thought I would use the antique leather as well but it was a bust. By the time you take it off it becomes clear it cracks too much to re-use. Like the case of the handle I’ve learnt a lot from taking apart old cases. I’m always on the look out for the proper solid brass locks as well. All the English lever stuff will last another 100 years+ with a good clean or sand back and some mechanical type lubricant. You can always tell proper antique brass as it takes on a black/greenish hue regardless of wether it has been zinc plated to look like silver. The upper hasp will also be flatter than the ‘Chaney style’ brass plated locks that are (imho) the next best thing:)

Using solid brass antique locks would make it more difficult to create a ‘muggle worthy’ mechanism though... hats off to alt kenobi for doing that!

Update:

D4B9F975-C4DC-4643-B4B9-7CFE03CC005B.jpeg65D49E57-F8F5-46A1-A796-156F70FE0698.jpeg

30th May 2018
my latest... I wanted to add the 'worn-in' feel so started moulding the composite cardboard frame using water and PVA glue before adding the leather. Bowing the front and back at the bottom as if its been full of clothes and other stuff for a long time, as well as the same pattern top & bottom as the screen case. Also a cheeky shot of my newt boots from VINTOS boots. I ended up with a fairly dark version of the case when I did the veg tan tanning myself, but I figure the movie makes it seem this dark, and seems close to the display one Pierre Bohanna has taken to events in the past (see above).

IMG_7553.jpgIMG_7549.jpgIMG_7554.jpgIMG_7550.jpgIMG_7551.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work MagicInc and Beetroot!

Here's Alison Sudol "Queenie Goldstein" holding my suitcase at LeakyCon Dallas 2018. She signed inside the lid too! At their respective panels, Alison was very sincere and a pleasure to listen to, and Dan is a riot!
attachment.php

A week later at Potterverse 2 (an excellent convention - BTW), Dan Fogler aka - Jacob Kowalski, after being attacked by a murtlap, also signed the case.
attachment.jpg

I'm designing a murtlap launcher now :).

ATL

Attachments

• 2 Jacob and us.jpg
    2 Jacob and us.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 1 Queenie and Jacob and us.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 628
ATL Kenobi.....HOLY COW....how lucky you and your wife are....!

Well, I guess you deserve some real kudos for your impeccable costumes that it grabbed such attention at LeakyCon! Congratulations! What great fun and memories for you. Alison and Dan are real sporting!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an amazing update Alt Kenobi, your the man. We are all pleased to see you post on this thread again.

Last edited:
Just read this thread all the way through and completely enjoyed it. There's a lot to learn here because you so thoroughly documented your efforts, failures and ultimate triumphs. Thanks for sharing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back