The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

Is it just me or is there suddenly a new entry in the group category? I saw a giant spider that I swear wasn't there by the deadline (and they have 2 pics posted).

It's not just you; that only appeared recently. Also, there's no build thread for it that I can see (based on the entry list on page 1 of the Costume thread).

There appears to be a fly in the ointment (ironic... yes?).

It will be removed!

Another suggestion for next time -

Disable the ability to edit the picture. Yeah, it's nice to swap it out (I did it with mine then changed it back). It's fine if it's honest, but I see one entrant in the male category with a changed picture where they modified the costume from when it was first entered.

With the editing ability, anyone can submit an unfinished work and continue working on it throughout the length of the contest. It could be swapped for an entirely different costume, gather votes, then switch back.

So yeah, lock down the entries. I kind of like the poll system from the last few years better.

This as well as photoshop restriction will definitely be on my agenda next year.

Between this and what looks like dummy accounts used to boost votes, I won't be entering again.

This is my first year running this so I hope that next year the lessons I have learned will make things a LOT better. I encourage folks not to swear off the contest due to a few hitches this time.

Also, I've informed the mods that there may be dummy votes going on. We see the IP addresses of the voters and there are indeed a lot that are attributed to a few. Although nothing has been done yet it is being investigated and if we find that there has been fraud those doing it will be removed from the contest and likely banned for creating sock accounts.

DO NOT CHEAT. Odds are VERY good that you'll be caught.

Orange,

Thanks for taking a level head with the suggestions and comments. I've been to too many sites where suggested changes are taken as personal insults to the owners/mods/organizers.

I appreciate the work you're putting in to this.

- Rob

This is my first year running this so I hope that next year the lessons I have learned will make things a LOT better. I encourage folks not to swear off the contest due to a few hitches this time.

Also, I've informed the mods that there may be dummy votes going on. We see the IP addresses of the voters and there are indeed a lot that are attributed to a few. Although nothing has been done yet it is being investigated and if we find that there has been fraud those doing it will be removed from the contest and likely banned for creating sock accounts.

That is what worried me when I entered the kids. Usually in contests where you vote, like on facebook, people make tons of accounts just for that purpose so they can win. I have noticed that there are not any outrageous leaps in numbers on one or two entries so everyone here seems to actually be wanting to win for real and not from cheating :) Shows how good the community here is :love

Orange,

Thanks for taking a level head with the suggestions and comments. I've been to too many sites where suggested changes are taken as personal insults to the owners/mods/organizers.

I appreciate the work you're putting in to this.

- Rob

Thanks. :)

I've been on the other side of this and know the frustrations involved. There will definitely be a good long discussion over thoughts for next year's contest as this one is the biggest the site hosts. There have already been a few suggestions that I know we will be implementing.

Orange_Blend,

Thanks for running this contest! I entered my son's costume, and didn't really expect to win, but mostly I'm just glad I found this place! I am amazed at the talent of the people that frequent this board, and hope that I can contribute in some way in the future.

Cheers!!!

Orange_Blend,

Thanks for running this contest! I entered my son's costume, and didn't really expect to win, but mostly I'm just glad I found this place! I am amazed at the talent of the people that frequent this board, and hope that I can contribute in some way in the future.

Cheers!!!

You are exactly the target audience for this type of thing. :):thumbsup

Welcome!

I just logged in to check vote count since I fell asleep before voting was over, and the voting is still enabled. Any votes after the cutoff time won't be counted right? I know I am being a pain with my questions, lol, but I am super excited :) I just posted a screenshot to all the awesome people that took the time to help me out. *shoutout to the First File and Save our Seeker peeps :)*

WOW that is crazy why cheat....:thumbsdown

Orange_Blend,

Cheers!!!

Where did you see that you won ??

I just logged in to check vote count since I fell asleep before voting was over, and the voting is still enabled. Any votes after the cutoff time won't be counted right? I know I am being a pain with my questions, lol, but I am super excited :) I just posted a screenshot to all the awesome people that took the time to help me out. *shoutout to the First File and Save our Seeker peeps :)*

All votes "after the fact" will be deleted. We do see the time stamps on the votes.

Where did you see that you won ??

He never said that he did. :)

ALRIGHT! Voting ended last night at 10pm PST (1am EST).

We will be going through the votes and making sure that no votes were cast after that time this weekend. Winners will be announced on MONDAY, Nov. 12th. :)

Why the hell would anybody cheat?! That's pretty pathetic. I hope you all perma-ban anyone caught.

As for the contest, it was great seeing all of the fantastic costumes! Now that I've participated in one of these, I have an idea of how much I'll need to step my game up next year! :)

There were a lot of FANTASTIC entries this year for sure! :thumbsup

I won't get a chance to actually go through and count until tomorrow night. Stay tuned!

thanks for putting this on!... i was so excited that i even got one vote ... then it disappeared, i was sad haha! best step up my game!

I love the level idea someone posted. Another Idea to build on to that. Is giving 1st and 2nd place to voters (because I understand how important It is to bring in people) But maybe a "Judges Pick" instead of a 3rd place. Have judges pick the last one basted on the build. Creativity, work, time put into it. I am really really impressed with Monster Inc. He even got the eye's to blink. I just think some snaps need to be given to the Creative Side of some of these AMAZING costumes people build on here.... Thoughts?

PS I would want to be one of those judges, HARD PICK but you could come up with some sort of rating system. Creativity 10 points, Physical Presentation (Neatness) - 10, Unique Costume Idea- 10 points. Add them up who gets the highest amount wins type of thing lol

Last edited:

I also like the idea of a judges pick sort of thing. That gives everyone a chance to win something and not just a "who has the most friends" win. I btw am not entered in this contest in any way, and did vote for someone based on their costume.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back