The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

Congrats to all the winners and everyone that participated!
There were some Beautiful costumes in this contest!

Congratulations to all the prize winners, and to everyone who entered the contest--you made the voter's job VERY difficult!!

Thank you, Orange_Blend, for the excellent manner in which you hosted this year's contest. All in all I think it went much more smoothly than most previous contests on the RPF, and not just the costume ones. Still a few wrinkles could be ironed out, but that's subject for another day, perhaps another thread where we could toss around some ideas and opinions.

......and finally, I'd like to thank the Academy.........:)
Seriously, though, thank you to those who voted for my costume.
Few, yes, but more precious to me than a thousand begged votes! :) :love :D

Shylaah

Last edited:

Congrats to everyone involved. The amount of talent that was showcased here was amazing. Looking forward to next years contest.

Awesome!!! Well done to everyone that participated...way to keep the spirit alive folks, and of course....a huge congrats to the winners!

Loved checking out the build threads and that aspect 'for me' is what influenced my decision on who to vote for, when I fully admit that it was very very very hard to pick just one. So many awesome entries, so many out of the box and unusual techniques used...in short it was a lot of fun for us to be a part of it and the winners should be very proud of their work.

Here's a few thoughts on the contest, judging...and so forth:

While contests like this are a lot of fun, heck...I too just wanted to be a part of it this time, let's not forget that members worked very hard on their submissions...and very hard to promote themselves around the web.

In doing so yes, the RPF does risk a certain amount of registrations only for the voting of the contest and nothing more...but at the same time think of how many new members it brought in that will participate and become regulars here. ...yet another goal of having an open contest like this.
Maybe...restrict voting to a minimum number of active posts first before being allowed to vote? Regardless of how long they've been members...just a thought.

Judges vote....hmmm, sure...it's cool...but I personally dig the current judging by the members here. Yes, there will be favoritism....and yes votes will be more popular 'somewhere' for a bazillion other reasons but, I still see nothing wrong with members wanting to support a friend who worked on their costume entry, be it the best of the group or not. No matter what, everyone - myself included - are going to vote based on criteria that we ourselves feel comfortable with...and being judged or voted on by your peers still does remain a pretty darn cool thing.

So...there's my 0.02 cents....:lol

Orange_Blend did a great job of keeping us in the loop and answering our questions.
BTW...Mike....you must not have a day job to have been so 'readily available' for the last month or so whenever we've called out to you around here! :lol:cool
Thanks for your time bud. :thumbsup

David

Amazing job everyone! I agree that it was hard to pick the top look in each category as there were so many great entries. I also like that it was easy to access the build threads - I spent more time on the forum in the last 2 weeks than I probably have in the last 6 months, lol.

I'd like to give a huge thank you to everyone who voted for us. I was honestly surprised that we got as many votes as we did since they all came from within the current membership. The gift certificate will go towards purchasing items to take with us (and the costumes) to the Stollery Children's Hospital.

Thank you again to everyone and especially OB for looking after the details.

Can't wait to see what everyone builds next year!

Great job everyone! We had fun even if the contest was a afterthought once we had been trick or treating!

Maybe you could do four or five different criteria that can be ranked and all costumes could be ranked because I too had a hard time voting for just one and wished there were a way to rank different aspects of each costume.

Congrats to everyone!

O_B, maybe you should post photos of the winners in the OP... to save us all time browsing through the galleries again. ;)

Congratulations to all the winners and top marks to everyone who entered. It is amazing the amount of talent within this forum and the skills to be learned from reading all the build threads. Excellent work everyone and thank you for sharing!

Yay! If we won a prize should we keep an eye on our email or on our messages here? Congrats to everyone and I can't believe the amount of creativity I saw with everyone that entered!

Thanks to all who voted for me, and congratulations to all of the winners as well! It was really hard to choose, but I especially loved the insightful wip threads which helped with the difficult decisions!

Also, thank you Orange_blend for the assistance in posting my entry, and keeping things smooth running throughout :)

Congrats to everyone!
As a newbie it was a great way to see so much of the talent here and I really enjoyed reading all the build threads. Looking forward to the next one :)

Lots of congrats to everyone! As introductions to forums go, this contest was a real treat! To paraphrase Joss Whedon, I kept thinking "I have found my tribe" as I browsed around the site seeing all the things that members do, make, and purchase :lol, and the costume contest was a good entry point and lens for exploring all the wonders here. I'm astounded by all the talent and kindness everywhere.

Awesome!!! Well done to everyone that participated...way to keep the spirit alive folks, and of course....a huge congrats to the winners!

Loved checking out the build threads and that aspect 'for me' is what influenced my decision on who to vote for, when I fully admit that it was very very very hard to pick just one. So many awesome entries, so many out of the box and unusual techniques used...in short it was a lot of fun for us to be a part of it and the winners should be very proud of their work.

Here's a few thoughts on the contest, judging...and so forth:

While contests like this are a lot of fun, heck...I too just wanted to be a part of it this time, let's not forget that members worked very hard on their submissions...and very hard to promote themselves around the web.

In doing so yes, the RPF does risk a certain amount of registrations only for the voting of the contest and nothing more...but at the same time think of how many new members it brought in that will participate and become regulars here. ...yet another goal of having an open contest like this.
Maybe...restrict voting to a minimum number of active posts first before being allowed to vote? Regardless of how long they've been members...just a thought.

Judges vote....hmmm, sure...it's cool...but I personally dig the current judging by the members here. Yes, there will be favoritism....and yes votes will be more popular 'somewhere' for a bazillion other reasons but, I still see nothing wrong with members wanting to support a friend who worked on their costume entry, be it the best of the group or not. No matter what, everyone - myself included - are going to vote based on criteria that we ourselves feel comfortable with...and being judged or voted on by your peers still does remain a pretty darn cool thing.

So...there's my 0.02 cents....:lol

Orange_Blend did a great job of keeping us in the loop and answering our questions.
BTW...Mike....you must not have a day job to have been so 'readily available' for the last month or so whenever we've called out to you around here! :lol:cool
Thanks for your time bud. :thumbsup

David

I agree with you nothing wrong with with voting. It to me sometimes does become popularity vs value of the costume in my opinion. That's why I suggested 1st and 2nd place a voted position and 3rd being replaced with a "Judges Pick". So that the contest gets both worlds. Why should the contest be only votes, or only judging. Just think there is a way for it to do both. Food for thought... :)

Congratz to all the winners. I saw some very impressive costumes. Talent is amazing here. Great for giving ideas to! I'll have to step up my game for next year... Better start brainstorming now lol!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back