The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

Decisions, decisions. So many great entries in each category. Well done to all who entered!

If you click on your photo and select "edit photo" I believe you can switch it...

HOWEVER! I've noticed that for a while your thumbnail comes up as "not available". That's a vote killer.

I'd suggest leaving it as is. :)

As I currently have a grand total of 2 votes, I don't think the thumbnail is my top concern ;)

UPDATE: There seems to be a "Rebuild Thumbnail" link on the photo edit page.

there is a "Clear my vote" button at the top of the page. I assume that allows you to change your vote in that category.

Thanks!

I had been checking out the gallery a few days before voting started, and made a couple comments on peoples photos, it looks like those comments were turned into votes, I don't want to be seen as "stuffing" the ballot box (even though I did grow up in Chicago :lol).
Remember, remember the 5th of november....and VOTE!

Yes, it seems you're restricted from voting for your own entry. A good decision if you ask me, voting for your own costume is in pretty poor form.
But I want at least one vote for it. :(

But I want at least one vote for it. :(

Hey, don't feel bad, the way things are looking my costume won't be getting a single vote either! People on the RPF are just too damn talented! :lol

Cool. Maybe it's just tapatalk that doesn't let you then?

Looks like Iphones are bumping to the mobile site. I tried it on mine and I can't even get to the gallery. I see a huge list of reference pages, scroll down to the contests, and can't actually access the contest gallery page.

Looks like Iphones are bumping to the mobile site. I tried it on mine and I can't even get to the gallery. I see a huge list of reference pages, scroll down to the contests, and can't actually access the contest gallery page.

I think there's a way to force Iphones to use the real site instead of the mobile one. I know it's a setting on my android tablet anyway...

Hey, don't feel bad, the way things are looking my costume won't be getting a single vote either! People on the RPF are just too damn talented! :lol

These contests can be a trial by fire that's for sure! It ups your game for next time though.

I've competed in four contests here in the past. The first two not a single vote, the third, fourth place, the last one? First place. :D

I learned really quickly it takes a LOT to win with all the talent here!

I'll be completely honest though, there isn't a single costume here that I wouldn't be proud to be the owner of. :thumbsup

These contests can be a trial by fire that's for sure! It ups your game for next time though.

I've competed in four contests here in the past. The first two not a single vote, the third, fourth place, the last one? First place. :D

I learned really quickly it takes a LOT to win with all the talent here!

I'll be completely honest though, there isn't a single costume here that I wouldn't be proud to be the owner of. :thumbsup

I knew I would not win. The important thing for me is that I really like what I made. The only disappointment is that hardly anyone at work knew who I was supposed to be? I'm a programmer and I work with nerds and geeks! I mean, come on, South Park spent an episode making fun of it. :facepalm Even the guy with the Star Trek lunch box did not know who I was.

I knew I would not win. The important thing for me is that I really like what I made. The only disappointment is that hardly anyone at work knew who I was supposed to be? I'm a programmer and I work with nerds and geeks! I mean, come on, South Park spent an episode making fun of it. :facepalm Even the guy with the Star Trek lunch box did not know who I was.

If it makes you feel any better I got it right away and love the reference. :thumbsup

I was able to access the gallery from my Andriod OS phone. I had to scroll all the way down to the bottom of all the galleries that were listed (they got a bum-load on the mobile version). Seems all the Movies, TV Shows, Video Games, and Events subcategories show in the main list as well.

~ Vonnor

I voted in the US election today and the RPF contest, the RPF votes were much harder, lots of great choices instead of lots of junk choices (sometimes no choice at all!) :lol.
You said it! This site has been very inspiring to me and my family, we are already planning a group costume for next year :) Plus my daughter and I spent a lot of great time together doing the build, tons of fun. I can see how this hobby could become addictive :)
Thanks for all your work to keep it running smoothly OB:thumbsup :thumbsup

OB: I'd like to preface by saying that I have zero contention about how this years costume contest is being conducted/moderated. I am only "kicking around ideas" for future contests in a manner that might allow others to agree or point out issues in my suggestions. To all, feel free to comment openly as I think doing such only improves the overall outcome. Remember: No stating, "that's a dumb idea," not that i would be offended, but it doesn't help. Please support your ideas/experiences with some sort of verbiage that resembles intellect.

Having completed my first masquerade ball last Saturday I was thinking about all the competition in the Men's category. A 14 year old who single handedly constructs an entire Mass Effect costume shouldn't compete against toddlers and more than he should have to compete against bumblebee. therefore, I'd like to toss out an idea for future costume contests. Why not hold the contest in ability levels? Establish rules for Novice, Journeyman, and Master, with allowance to move up, but never down. The incentive to move up out of your "class" would be a higher prize.

If you've won "Best Costume" in a class in an RPF contest, you must move up into the next class for the next competition. One must also state the number of Masquerade Balls or other competitions they have submitted and been awarded a "major" prize (anything above Honorable Mention). 1 or more major awards would raise the applicant to journeyman, 4 or more would raise them to Master. I would assume the first year, some the lower classes might be considerably larger than the others, however this should encourage others to elevate themselves into a higher class.

Classes and prizes (based on this years pot) might be as follows:
Master Female - $250; Journeyman Female - $125; Novice Female - $75
Master Male - $250; Journeyman Male - $125; Novice Male - $75
Master Group - $250; Journeyman Group – $125; Novice Group - $75
Journeyman Youth - $75; Novice Youth - $50; Child - $25

I'd also encourage voting and scores to be held secret until the polls are closed.

I thought the exact same thing about the Mass Effect costume. :)

I like the idea of "skill levels". It would be VERY difficult to to moderate and assign abilities but certainly worth a discussion. I think you guys will find I'm very open to making these things better. They're certainly not without their issues and we do the best we can so any ideas you have are more than welcome.

There are of course a few non-starters based on the sites goals but happy to hear feedback from folks. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back