The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

Also, how long does voting last?

Last edited:

Orange Blend,

Help - I went to the gallery to try to vote. I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing, just trying to figure things out -- so I clicked on a picture. Unfortunately, it wasn't the one I wanted to vote for, but it said that I chose that picture and it now had another vote. And since each person only has one vote, that was all there was to it. Is there any way I can take back my mistaken vote?

So I guess you are restricted from voting for your own entry?

Correct. I believe it's a restriction of the software but Art could answer that better.

And if you don't vote, you can't see how many votes the other entries have received... So, basically you can't see whose winning in the category you've entered. Bummer. Or are we doing this wrong?
:behave

When I log in as a guest I can see the vote tally. It's right under each picture. You don't see it?

not sure if anyone has noticed it......but it seems that several male contestants are listed in the female category and not the male category

They're all female. :) Very convincing costumes though!

It sucks I can't vote at all right now cause I'm on my iPhone and it won't let me open the galleries and there is no view as we page instead of the mobile view it gives me.

Get yourself to a computer then! :lol

So, can we not vote for ourselves? And one vote in each category per user i take it?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

My friends are signing up for accounts to be able to vote but can't figure out how to vote,lol. Do they just comment or what?

I couldn't figure it out either...

Also, how long does voting last?

Just click the "vote" button under the photo you want to vote for. Members can vote on the winners through Nov 9 at 10PM PST. Winners will be announced on Nov 12, 2012. (From contest rules post)

well, no anonymous vote :/ i kinda have a problem with that.
im not usually a fan of people knowing what i pick.

I wasn't aware it would display a list of who voted for what but perhaps Art made it that way so that everything was above board. I'll ask him.

Nevermind -- I figured it out. :)

:)

To my knowledge it works like this:

When you click the Vote button below a picture it casts a vote. You get one vote per catagorey.

You can not vote for yourself.

You can not see how many votes an entry has untill after you cast your vote, or your a guest.

You cant vote from your phone, as ths moble version doesnt display the gallery.

It shows who has voted for the entry after a vote has been cast. This is probably a way to deter cheating.

Last edited:

not sure if anyone has noticed it......but it seems that several male contestants are listed in the female category and not the male category.

Check the first post in this thread and you will see that there are a number of female entrants who have male costumes.

So I guess you are restricted from voting for your own entry?

Yes, it seems you're restricted from voting for your own entry. A good decision if you ask me, voting for your own costume is in pretty poor form.

And if you don't vote, you can't see how many votes the other entries have received... So, basically you can't see whose winning in the category you've entered. Bummer. Or are we doing this wrong?
:behave

You're doing it wrong. After voting, reload the gallery page, and the current results for all the entries will be displayed.

We should change it so that next year you can't place a vote if you're not registered before the contest starts.

In my opinion, anyone being able to sign up and vote is just as bad as having open voting like two years ago, there's just one more step involved.

We should change it so that next year you can't place a vote if you're not registered before the contest starts.

In my opinion, anyone being able to sign up and vote is just as bad as having open voting like two years ago, there's just one more step involved.
Its a good theory since one could cheat, but by your plan they could still cheat, they would just need to plan ahead... doesn't really solve much. As it is, it is difficult to get folks to come vote making them come twice doesn't make it any easier. besides, this is actually a good plan. with people signing up, they might see something here that hooks them and then they can join our nerdy ranks.

I kind of agree it should only be the people who joined before the whole contest .. otherwise it ruins the fun .. i been gettin a lot of vote for vote e-mails as well and that too ruins the fun who ever wins ...cool ..who ever loses ....cool now everyone spread your butt cheeks and play fair

The whole idea behind RPF funded contests is to drive people to the site so I'm not sure you'd find Art moving to a "you can't vote unless you were here before" mentality but it is a idea. I'm not sure they can set it up that way either.

Food for thought for next year!

i been gettin a lot of vote for vote e-mails as well and that too ruins the fun
bummer... I get the point of doing it, but honestly, the one vote... i seriously doubt its going to be that close. although i tell ya, that would be a knuckle biter!

I accidentally voted for someone trying to open up their picture and now it won't let me take it back. Oh well, free vote for someone!

Also, can I swap my gallery picture for one that's already up in my build thread?

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from about driving people to the site. In the end, I figure that the amount of voters we have in the community would outweigh any new sign ups.

You could always calculate the "Honorable Mention" using pre-registered voters. Take the tops then subtract new registrants. Who knows, that probably wouldn't make a dent anyhow.

I could post on other forums, or on my facebook and have people come and register and boost my vote, but I choose not to because I think the RPF contest should be one of the more honest contests. Hell, most of us lose to "Giant Used Tampon" in real world contests, so a place like this, among our peers who scratch build and work hard, is a place to have a real chance to win.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from about driving people to the site. In the end, I figure that the amount of voters we have in the community would outweigh any new sign ups.

You could always calculate the "Honorable Mention" using pre-registered voters. Take the tops then subtract new registrants. Who knows, that probably wouldn't make a dent anyhow.

I could post on other forums, or on my facebook and have people come and register and boost my vote, but I choose not to because I think the RPF contest should be one of the more honest contests. Hell, most of us lose to "Giant Used Tampon" in real world contests, so a place like this, among our peers who scratch build and work hard, is a place to have a real chance to win.

I totally understand that sentiment, trust me.

There are a lot of problems with voted contests and to enforce rules like "you can't vote if you became a member after X date" would be very difficult (but not completely out of the cards I don't think).

In the end I'm just the facilitator of these for the site and my job is to run them as smoothly as I can while still keeping the site's goals in mind. In this case I know contests are looked at as:

A) Showcases of talent
B) Recruitment tools for the site

A lot of great entries have come from members who's first post was their contest build thread and I find that very encouraging. :thumbsup

For this year the voting isn't going to change. I'm totally open to hearing and discussing ways to improve it in the future though. :)

Also, can I swap my gallery picture for one that's already up in my build thread?

If you click on your photo and select "edit photo" I believe you can switch it...

HOWEVER! I've noticed that for a while your thumbnail comes up as "not available". That's a vote killer.

I'd suggest leaving it as is. :)

I accidentally voted for someone trying to open up their picture and now it won't let me take it back. Oh well, free vote for someone!
there is a "Clear my vote" button at the top of the page. I assume that allows you to change your vote in that category.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back