The Last Voyage of The Demeter

I had some hope for this, but this seems like standard horror schlock.

In a very racist and superstitious time... why is there a woman and black man on board? Doesn't that mean bad luck? Wouldn't people of the day immediately suspect them before anything else? Also... it kinda cheapens everything that there's a character who knows what's going on and can explain everything to the crew. Would have been better if they'd have no clue what was hitting them. If you read the Captains log in the book... they had no clue what was going on until it was too late.

I'll probably watch it... but it doesn't seem remarkable.

Thirty years ago, at least, I said to my brother, "You know what could be a standalone film? The Demeter section of Dracula." Took them long enough, although The Thing, ALIEN, and every other film with people in an isolated, unescapable place fighting a monster all derive from it.

Agree that it looks very politically correct and proper for our time. YUCK!

Damn, always wanted a ManBat movie, and that shot at the end with the bat wings, wow ! Somebody needs to steal, er I mean borrow that look for ManBat, lol.

I saw it tonight and I enjoyed it... Right up until the end. Another one of those "we're definitely planning on making a sequel" type endings. If they'd omitted the last five minutes, it would have been better. Apart from that, it was pretty good. Much like has been parroted in nearly every review, it's ALIEN on a boat in the 1800's.

Finally saw this. A stinker. It looked great and the cast was game, the sailor bursting into flames when the sun touches him was great (the first time), but, of course, the producers woked it with the black guy and the woman as the heroes. Didn't care for the look of Dracula, this big blue bat thing with the "Salem's Lot" face (yeah, no one will notice that thing buzzing around London!). The film took forever to get up on its feet. The text at the beginning explaining that it's Dracula escaping to England already sets up the story, you don't need it set up again. The woman character also was fully unnecessary. Dracula brings her along to feed on? He has the whole crew to feed on! Stupid. Either the script was changed again and again or it wasn't well thought out from the get-go. It would have been better, more tense, etc., if it was shorter. Too many stretches of nothing.

A wasted opportunity

bela drac THumbs Down.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back