The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK maybe you already explained this but why are you trying to create PDO files of something that has already been created? If you are just trying to learn pepakura and how to unfold/fold things, thats cool, but this just seems like a whole lot of extra work and headache for you.

Question: I have this picture, that I found a long time ago, but i dont remember where I found it at. Does anyone know?

p1304261210.jpg

I believe the image was titled: p1304261210

its a file that zabana is currently unfolding right now

Almost done, should have the Helm ready for print by tomorrow...

50569690.jpg

... By my count, this helm will only be 10 pages, making it the LEAST PAPER-CONSUMING HELMET available from ANYONE.

Now that is one HELLuva environmentfriendly pep I must say! Yay for the trees ! ;) is there enough space for the flaps, or will you have to back the single stripes with paper or tape, without using connection flaps at all?

just out of morbid curiosity why is it that you are taking other peoples 3d models and trying to turn them into pep models?? If you are going through that much trouble with a model that you didn't create then why not just use the pep models all ready out there for iron man??? Either way you can't really call the model yours, but you can still call the final build yours. You just seem to be going through an awful lot of trouble and (while I'm not trying to be mean here) you just don't know how to make/ convert the files correctly for pep. It does take a bit of experience to model, and unfold a 3d based file for ease of construction in pep.

p.s.
Im trying my hand at some Pep Designing here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/3FlGMaJb/Mstrchf-1.html

Halo 1 Master Chief Suit. If anyone has any ideas, tips, tricks, lemme know.

The model isnt perfect and not finished. Mabey some of you veterans out there can fix it? Or help tell me how to do it?

this file isn't yours either, you should give the proper credit. That is a modified Game rip from halo C.E. on pc. That model has been available for free download for over 5 years and was modified by some of the original members of the 405th

Last edited:
- @ benstreeper:

I dont know who made the FULL model, i'm just using the helmet from it. The whole model is the MK3. The reason I'm making my own PDOs, is so people will quit nagging about modifying their own stuff.

So, anyone know who made the model?

5289-full1.jpg

(if no one comes forward, no one will get credit for the MODEL, and I wont be listening to anyone crying "FOUL". So, STEP UP, or SHUT UP)

P.S. Stop saying that I'm saying things I'm NOT saying.

I NEVER SAID ANY OF THESE MODELS WERE MINE, BUT DOING THE WORK TO MAKE THEM A PDO IS ALL MINE ! STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. It's gotten so old, so fast. It's been about 15 times now.

Last edited:
another thing thats gotten "so old, so fast" is your terrible attitude and flippant remarks....

doing an unfold of a model does not make it yours, nor does it make it any less the property of the original creator.

never mind the fact that that model is entirely unsuited to pep and would be nigh on impossible to build.

you seem to be trying to find any and every shortcut you can to try and get this done....

if you really want your own files and for people to stop commenting that you're using other peoples work without giving credit, then man the hell up and learn how to make them yourself...

so stop being whiny when we call you out on things, put some actual effort into learning how to do this, create your own models to pep, and then maybe, just maybe, you might regain a shred of respect around here...

because you seem to be doing everything in your power to make people not respect you

+ 1 :thumbsup for Robo's post.

Seriously, making 3d models into PDO's doesn't make them yours.

Where did you get this logic?

yes yes we saw your bold-y capp-y italic-y rant...

we know the models aren't yours, and that's the problem...

The reason I'm making my own PDOs, is so people will quit nagging about modifying their own stuff.

you are still using other peoples "own stuff" without their permission, and the reason we are "nagging" is because you are taking advantage of hours of someone elses work.

Im trying my hand at some Pep Designing here:

Mstrchf-1.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Halo 1 Master Chief Suit. If anyone has any ideas, tips, tricks, lemme know.

The model isnt perfect and not finished. Mabey some of you veterans out there can fix it? Or help tell me how to do it?

you think that by unfolding someone elses model you are "pep designing", but you aren't....

you are taking other peoples models, unfolding them and saying they are yours, but they're not...

i had several people unfolding my models, but they are "person x's" unfold of my model...it is still my model..

so unless you know where the model came from, have permission to unfold it for pep and give credit to the original modeler (or god forbid, make your own model), you aren't going to get anywhere with this...

if you had even a basic grasp of the concept of pep you would know that that iron man helmet is too hi-res for pep, if you release it, all you'll be providing is a ridiculously hi-res pep file that is poorly unfolded and ultimately useless to anyone

EDIT: the bulk of that post will probably disappear....so hopefully this addition can stay.....

its clear there's no changing your mind on any of this, so (again) we'll have to agree to disagree...
Just try to understand that you're going about this the wrong way and are going to put a lot of people offside if you continue on the way you're going....

and make the effort to learn how to make your own models, not only will people appreciate it more, its quite a good and fun skill to have...

Last edited:
- @ benstreeper:
I NEVER SAID ANY OF THESE MODELS WERE MINE, BUT DOING THE WORK TO MAKE THEM A PDO IS ALL MINE ! STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. It's gotten so old, so fast. It's been about 15 times now.

The big problem, and at least why I brought it up, is that you are
A. not saying that you didn't make it either
B. Leading people to believe that these are your models (at least until you get caught) by leaving out the important details like
ORIGINAL MODELER XXX
ORIGINAL PDO BY XXX
and most importantly MODIFIED WITH THE PERMISSION OF XXX

we know the models aren't yours, and that's the problem...

so unless you know where the model came from, have permission to unfold it for pep and give credit to the original modeler (or god forbid, make your own model), you aren't going to get anywhere with this...

A lot of us do pep work as a base all the time, we know who does what when and where. As pep has evolved certain rules of Etiquette have evolved with it. If you don't follow those rules then the respected members of any forum are going to jump on your case about it. If you had created these models and done the unfolds yourself we would be just as hard on someone else claiming them as yours. We are not being "mean" to you, it is you behavior that is the cause of these posts.

As BenStreeper has said

BenStreeper said:
We are not being "mean"to you

But every time we try to help you, you turn round and snap an anger filled reply at us. We just want you to realise that on this forum (And generally, anywhere else in society) there are rules/guidelines so that people can live a happy, trouble free life (As If).

For instance as Ben has said

BenStreeper said:
As pep has evolved certain rules of Etiquette have evolved with it. If you don't follow those rules then the respected members of any forum are going to jump on your case about it.

Now these rules are here so people get proper credit. So for instance, again as BenStreeper has said.

Original Model made by 'INSERTNAMEHERE'
Original PDO made by 'INSERTNAMEHERE'
Modified by 'IronPatriot'

Again, we are not on your case, we just want to help. This is no longer just a forum, but we are a COMMUNITY and we will stand together and help each other when we need it. The question is though, do you want to be part of the community or not?

Now that is one HELLuva environmentfriendly pep I must say! Yay for the trees ! ;) is there enough space for the flaps, or will you have to back the single stripes with paper or tape, without using connection flaps at all?

To hell with the trees, a kick-ass armor costume is worth razing the lushest swaths of the Amazon! :love

IronPatriot Helm .PDO Done.

clip1c.jpg

(not my model, but YES, my .PDO)

- When i get the full version of RHINO, yeah, I'll have my 100% VERY OWN models.
For now, you'll just have to settle for me perfecting the creation of .PDOs.

wow ive been following this for a while... and whyile i commend your effort . you are an angry little man!
i might be "new" (dont post much) but i know the proper channels that need to be met when doing pep.
I am building a ironman from pep.. and i gave credit to everyone that it was due to for the Models/PDO's
its not that hard.. model by , original PDO by, edited by you with permission from blank
did you take the hrs upon hrs to model the original picture then unfold? if not then the model needs the credit always

I missed it when he was talking about flying with his suit and all that.
Stealing 3D models is just distasteful now.

Hey Guys,

let´s settle with this:

A 3d model that is published and freely available enters the public domain.

The right thing to do (and most if not all 3D sites explicitely put that in their Terms of service page that people agree to respect upon downloading a file) is to give the author credit if used publically or commercially, e.g. in a movie or a still.

There are tons of models out there that have been "abandonded" i.e. it is not possible to find out who originally created them.

If IronPatriot uses a 3D-model and can´t give the creator proper credit , then that is tough luck for the creator.
That of course does not make IP the owner.

What we won´t allow from now on, in the light of potential "digital recasting issues" is the redistribution of unfolded pep files of such abandonded 3D models. I´ll add this to the Pepakura sticky at the top of the costuming thread.

Iron Patriot, you can use those 3D files of course for your own use. PDO´s that you created from a 3D model that is not yours and for which you couldn´t get the consent of the original creator must not be redistributed.

@ Ben Streeper, Robo3687, MykiiAmore, Stealth:
Regarding pep work and an "evolved" etiquette, the RPF has Member guidelines that everyone agrees to respect upon registration. Those guidelines of course do not necessarily reflect recent changes in a hobby, especially if the hobby is as young as pep work.

That being said, an "evolved etiquette" does not mean that it can be directly applied globally, especially on a forum/to a community such as the RPF.

Granted, there is of course some good thinking and well meaning to the "etiquette" you are speaking of, but if the RPF member guidelines are violated because someone wants to enforce that etiquette, then we have a problem here.

In this case, the right thing to do would have been to notify the staff so we have a look at it, which I am currently doing.

The rundown of this whole issue is:

- no redistribution of pep files created from a 3D model with unknown source
- no "calling out" or trying to force an etiquette onto someone when the procedure to do this clashes with RPF rules.

Thanks,
Michael
RPF staff

Whatever the outcome of the Etiquette Dilema I would love to see (and build) a full metal Iron Man suit, it was my first thought when I discovered pepping but until I've made a fibreglass and filler version I'm going to hold off on the metal work despite being well versed in the arcane arts of bending metal for my Medieval Combat (full contact fighting) costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back