The Demogorgon (Full Costume Build WIP)

MrNoHolster

Hi guys,

Thought I'd start a build WIP on my progress to create a functioning, screen accurate costume of the Stranger Things Demogorgon!

I'd already seen the fantastic work that cblimagery created way back in 2016 but wanted this to be a lot more screen accurate. Sound effects will also be a big part of this costume - building on the lessons I'd learned from creating a Clicker costume from The Last Of Us.

The majority of this build has been created from liquid latex, EVA foam and over 100 individually molded polymorph teeth!

Here's my progress so far... The mouth opening mechanism took me dozens of hours to figure out and get working how I wanted but really happy with it. I'll also post a video of it in action below. I'll be wearing a black balaclava to completely hide my face.

Attachments

• Photo 03-12-2023, 21 57 59.jpg
    Photo 03-12-2023, 21 57 59.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • Photo 03-12-2023, 21 58 19.jpg
    Photo 03-12-2023, 21 58 19.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
Trying to figure out how to tackle the leg extensions and feet... I've seen similar riser rigs that others have used so planning on something like this - although no idea how my balance will be! :unsure: These will form the structure before modelling the feet.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 14.52.59.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 14.52.59.png
    775.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 15.11.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 15.11.42.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
Second attempt at building the hands / claws... much happier how these are turning out. Simply made using a gardening glove, some metal BBQ skewers, duct tape tissue paper and liquid latex.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 09.27.45.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 09.27.45.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 09.27.39.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 09.27.39.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 40
Test fit using one of the finished hands! I found a clever solution to hiding the gap between the sleeve and gloves by using these iron shackles, an idea I took from the captive Demogorgon seen in Season 4 and also in the Dead By Daylight video game. This also serves as a great way of hiding the bike cable used to control the mouth opening mechanism as the chain will be wrapped around my neck also.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.png
    IMG_0961.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 68
The mask looks excellent. Well done!

For the feet, make sure you have some kind of support/frame around the shins. Otherwise you're risking serious damage to your ankles and knees.
If you look up "werewolf stilts" there are plenty of examples that look a lot like what you have sketched but with more supports.

I don't know your height, but in my experience, you only need to boost yourself slightly to create a really imposing costume, particularly when it's something like this with a giant head. Just eyeballing it, it looks like your mask is adding between 4 and 8 inches depending on if the mouth is open or not. So if you could boost your unmasked height to just over 6 foot, you'll loom over most people very nicely.

Thanks Cormac! Yes, very good point - balance would also be an issue I guess. Maybe just simple risers (almost like DIY high heels) would work well and like you say, 8 inches taller would be ideal as I'm only about 5'7. Will post more progress soon but really appreciate your input!

Top half pretty much finished... just the legs and feet to do now. Had to completely repaint most of the torso as the paint was starting to crack when I moved in it. Ending up having to use a couple of coats of liquid latex to seal the paint, then another two layers of HexFlex to seal the latex and stop it from sticking together.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Wow, that all looks great. Can't wait to see it complete. But from someone who has done a few costumes with leg extensions, (very similar to the pic you posted), you may want to rethink those. For one, they tend to be rather unstable and over a longer period of time become REALLY uncomfortable. I would suggest something more substantial, with additional supports going up the whole leg. Search for Weta Legs and see how they are made. There used to be a tutorial online showing a complete build but I couldn't find it today. Check out this link though. Its an interview with the creator of them. Good luck. Coilhouse » Blog Archive » Inventor/Sculptor Kim Beaton’s Weta Legs

Wow, that all looks great. Can't wait to see it complete. But from someone who has done a few costumes with leg extensions, (very similar to the pic you posted), you may want to rethink those. For one, they tend to be rather unstable and over a longer period of time become REALLY uncomfortable. I would suggest something more substantial, with additional supports going up the whole leg. Search for Weta Legs and see how they are made. There used to be a tutorial online showing a complete build but I couldn't find it today. Check out this link though. Its an interview with the creator of them. Good luck. Coilhouse » Blog Archive » Inventor/Sculptor Kim Beaton’s Weta Legs
Thanks BornKilr! Yeah, they do look outstanding... I'm trying something out with raised platform style shoes using thick insulation board with a slight angle for my foot but failing that I think I might need to go all-out and make some of those stilts although they look incredibly complex! Thanks for the support and advice. Hope to show you more soon...

Digi stilts done! Not the most comfortable things to wear but actually quite surprised that they're not as bad as I thought! Now I can move onto creating the leg sleeves to cover them and model the feet...

Attachments

• IMG_1247.mp4
    7.6 MB
Some more pics from a recent Comic Con... A few minor costume fails on the day such as problems getting the audio to work but the main issue was when the stilts finally gave way, buckling one of the stainless steel supports and becoming unstable for me to walk on! They lasted about 45 mins of use so I have a plan for upgrading them. These issues didn't ruin my enjoyment of the costume however and the response I got from the public was amazing... I also won the cosplay championship! :D

434433229_445082484576174_7653167738671206576_n.jpg

Attachments

• retouched.jpg
    retouched.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 3

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back