The I HATE PAWN stars thread!

Varies from country to country though; could be a lot worse, e.g. here, or the UK. I bet the markup you paid on your Moto Guzzi wasn't as painful as the markup I paid on mine... :)

Well in my 30 years in film and TV (first film was "Dead men don't wear plaid", latest Transformers 3 and Apollo 18) I'm sure I noticed pick up shots before and why they needed them.
Also, having had a number of meetings about a reality show about me, I have also seen all the made up BS conected with these shows. So, I'm gonna stick with made up BS on this one. If you don't mind.

It's rare you see such a high-quality burn on here nowadays.

Can you prove this?

Dude, a guy none of us know, posted it randomly on the internet...

I have no doubts. :lol

The whole show is NOT fake. I am SURE they add stuff or ad lib when nothing cool pops in. And I DO know for sure that when guys have something to sell they go through a whole process BEFORE having them come in... they act like they have never met and that IS surely fake most of the time.

I watch the show for the "experts" I love expensive watches, guns, instruments, cars and movie props.

It is interesting, entertaining and informative on what items MAY be worth.

I hate reality shows and KNOW that none are 100% REAL.

Anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot.

Doesn't mean I have to hate the show or bash people that like it. :behave

I honestly really like Pawn Stars. Its a good show with lots of good semi historical stuff in it. I'm not as fond of American pickers however. There's just something about those two guys that just bugs me and I find my self changing the channel when ever it comes on.

One thing that I do not like about both shows is this is the ******** History Channel. These shows as well as American loggers, Hillbilly's on ice and Let's go-a Gator hunting really don't belong on this network or at least as much as they are on. They are something I would expect to be on the Discovery channel or something of the like.

The History channel really should be showing more programs related to actual important times in history like the Civil war, The Wild West, WWI and WWII, The Korean war, Vietnam. etc... When I turned on the tv on June 6th of this year instead of finding a day devoted to D-day or just WWII itself I found a Pawn Stars marathon. :unsure

Dude, a guy none of us know, posted it randomly on the internet...

I have no doubts. :lol

I hate reality shows and KNOW that none are 100% REAL.

Anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot.

Doesn't mean I have to hate the show or bash people that like it. :behave

Well, actually some people here know me, and it was not a "random" post, I came here, read the thread, have had 1st and 2nd hand dealings with reality shows and Pawn stars and posted a relevant item. (and in order to speak openly about a business that is small and close knit, I keep my identity private)
As for “Proof”; well if this were a court of law, I’d have to subpoena a witness, so, for this board, no, I cannot “prove” it. My source is a professional in the TV industry and he gave me this information from his experience. I have also rented props to other reality shows.(To be used as “General public, provided items”)
Plus, if you Google “Pawn Stars Fraud” you can find a number of articles on “first hand” accounts of the manipulation this show (and most others I’m sure) go through in order to make the episodes interesting.
I have told my producers that they need to be clear on one thing; their ignorance on a subject, is not everyone else’s ignorance on said subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually some people here know me, and it was not a "random" post, I came here, read the thread, have had 1st and 2nd hand dealings with reality shows and Pawn stars and posted a relevant item. (and in order to speak openly about a business that is small and close knit, I keep my identity private)
As for “Proof”; well if this were a court of law, I’d have to subpoena a witness, so, for this board, no, I cannot “prove” it. My source is a professional in the TV industry and he gave me this information from his experience. I have also rented props to other reality shows.(To be used as “General public, provided items”)
Plus, if you Google “Pawn Stars Fraud” you can find a number of articles on “first hand” accounts of the manipulation this show (and most others I’m sure) go through in order to make the episodes interesting.
I have told my producers that they need to be clear on one thing; their ignorance on a subject, is not everyone else’s ignorance on said subject.
So, about the Pawn Stars, you heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who...?

And who do you know that works on Sons of Guns? Another friend's friend?

I googled "Pawn Stars Fraud" and didn't see anything. If nothing else, it's fun to see old stuff and learning a little more about it. It's also fun to see them pick on Chumley. :behave

fish_chumley2.gif

FB

I googled "Pawn Stars Fraud" and didn't see anything. If nothing else, it's fun to see old stuff and learning a little more about it. It's also fun to see them pick on Chumley. :behave
I googled it a few days ago and found a few sites with stories of Pawn Stars' setting up 'reality.'

One of them was about that guitar that was brought in... ended up that reportedly, the guitar was not only from the shop that came in to appraise it, but so was the guy who brought it in - and the guitar was for sale at the guitar shop before and after the Pawn Stars appearance.

Another story involved a baseball player signing a jersey and it being authenticized (?) by a company that auction houses and other reputable sources will not use. ...and of course, there is no history of this baseball player ever signing a jersey and if it was proven it would be worth a lot more than it goes for on sale at the Pawn Shop.

This is disappointing. I still like the show and will still watch it... I'll just be a lot more aware of what's going on. (I'll try to post some links when I wake up a bit more - but, they were pretty easy to find on Google).

so whats the real story about pawn stars? i read somewhere that its not legal to film an actual pawn transaction.

sorry to chime in late, but I have always wanted the low down on whats real or fake on the show

so whats the real story about pawn stars? i read somewhere that its not legal to film an actual pawn transaction.

sorry to chime in late, but I have always wanted the low down on whats real or fake on the show
Not sure where you read that. Nearly every pawn shop I've ever been has had security cameras recording.

Not sure where you read that. Nearly every pawn shop I've ever been has had security cameras recording.

Apparently, at least in Nevada, a pawn transaction is considered a private, confidential transaction (supposedly due to the stigma associated with having to pawn your possessions.) As such, the pawn shop is obligated to keep the transaction confidential except for required legal disclosures, etc. (i.e., to the police and Homeland Security) . While a party to a pawn transaction can elect to waive that confidentiality (for example, by agreeing to be on TV), the pawn store owner cannot waive it for him. This is why Rick Harrison says they close the shop during filming, and get releases from all of the extras left in the shop during filming- they cannot legally tape or broadcast actual run-of-the-mill pawn transactions without getting waivers of confidentiality from the customers involved.

Security cameras are a bit of an exception, because they are used only for internal purposes and when required for legal purposes (such as to investigate or prosecute a crime); since they are not, as a matter of the ordinary course, shown to the public or seen outside of the store personnel and law enforcement, it's still deemed to be holding the pawn transaction in confidence. However, again absent seeking the public's help in identifying a suspect to a crime, etc., the store cannot legally show those tapes in public if it would violate the confidentiality of an otherwise legitimate pawn transaction.

M

Apparently, at least in Nevada, a pawn transaction is considered a private, confidential transaction (supposedly due to the stigma associated with having to pawn your possessions.) As such, the pawn shop is obligated to keep the transaction confidential except for required legal disclosures, etc. (i.e., to the police and Homeland Security) . While a party to a pawn transaction can elect to waive that confidentiality (for example, by agreeing to be on TV), the pawn store owner cannot waive it for him. This is why Rick Harrison says they close the shop during filming, and get releases from all of the extras left in the shop during filming- they cannot legally tape or broadcast actual run-of-the-mill pawn transactions without getting waivers of confidentiality from the customers involved.

Security cameras are a bit of an exception, because they are used only for internal purposes and when required for legal purposes (such as to investigate or prosecute a crime); since they are not, as a matter of the ordinary course, shown to the public or seen outside of the store personnel and law enforcement, it's still deemed to be holding the pawn transaction in confidence. However, again absent seeking the public's help in identifying a suspect to a crime, etc., the store cannot legally show those tapes in public if it would violate the confidentiality of an otherwise legitimate pawn transaction.

M
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I guess that explains to the people who wonder why the shop seems empty during the show.

As a person that lives about 5 miles from Gold and Silver Pawn (Pawn Stars' real name), I can honestly say that the shop has many things you don't see on camera. It isn't just Old Man, Rick, Big Hoss, and Chum Lee working there. As a matter of fact more times than not they are all working in the back room. What is seen on TV is mostly higher priced items. They have everything from jewelry, to art, to old vending machines. Heck, they even have bobble heads of the dynamic quatro. One of the guys that works there, Rocko, is a good friend of mine. He told me they usually shoot 2-3 episodes a day and I can say from seeing it myself, when they aren't filming, there is a line about a block long to get in with armed security letting in small groups at a time. It is very much a tourist destination here in Las Vegas. It is by far the busiest shop between Las Vegas blvd, Gass ave and Garces Ave. Believe it or not it is a VERY well maintained shop and customer service is great. Plus with a 24 hour drive up window that helps people too.

As with all pawn shops, they are in it for the cash. It wouldn't be very successful if they offered more than they did, however, as was posted before, if you don't like the offer you can walk. You also can try and haggle. One great thing about their shop is, they have just about anything you could want. Some things you have to ask for but a lot is on the showroom floor. I personally have no problems with the show, the people in the show (either customer or staff), or the shop itself.

As a person that lives about 5 miles from Gold and Silver Pawn (Pawn Stars' real name), I can honestly say that the shop has many things you don't see on camera. It isn't just Old Man, Rick, Big Hoss, and Chum Lee working there. As a matter of fact more times than not they are all working in the back room. What is seen on TV is mostly higher priced items. They have everything from jewelry, to art, to old vending machines. Heck, they even have bobble heads of the dynamic quatro. One of the guys that works there, Rocko, is a good friend of mine. He told me they usually shoot 2-3 episodes a day and I can say from seeing it myself, when they aren't filming, there is a line about a block long to get in with armed security letting in small groups at a time. It is very much a tourist destination here in Las Vegas. It is by far the busiest shop between Las Vegas blvd, Gass ave and Garces Ave. Believe it or not it is a VERY well maintained shop and customer service is great. Plus with a 24 hour drive up window that helps people too.
Rick says in his book that the cast of the show can't work the counter any longer. Privacy issues with those pawning have something to do with that.

We don't see much in the way of actual pawning on the show... we see people selling items. I think I can remember one timn on the show when someone actually pawned something.

...and the Pawn Shop has become a tourist attraction. I wonder how many people in line are actually trying to pawn something as opposed to just shop at the store.

Before he was a Pawn Star, Rick Harrison on the old Comedy Central show Insomniac, working the late night window: Pawn Stars circa 2003 - YouTube

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back