The style thread

Anyone know the description for this coat or at least the collar?

Screenshot_20230919-200244_eBay.jpg

Sailor's Peat Coat with a twist;) They add another type of collar design (mainly seen on thick pull-overs) + a belt and pockets, with flaps, at the bottom.
They kept the slit pockets on each side (typical for Peat Coats) and now it looks like a Trench with an attitude:p
I like it, btw(y)

Sailor's Peat Coat with a twist;) They add another type of collar design (mainly seen on thick pull-overs) + a belt and pockets, with flaps, at the bottom.
They kept the slit pockets on each side (typical for Peat Coats) and now it looks like a Trench with an attitude:p
I like it, btw(y)
Thank you very much. This has finalized a long search. My son had found a newspaper ad and was searching for this for a while now. Within the add, all the people looked to be hunting so we were going down the wrong search path. They did not name nor describe the coat, just cartoon pictures. Turns out that with the added details of the military coats, it comes up as a short lived style in WWII called a Mackinaw ( a description my son recognized but we couldn't find with the spelling we tried) but during an even smaller number of years was made with what the (today's search) listings called a "shawl" collar. So now that we have these new terms and dates, these coats are easily found as vintage items but it looks like some repros are popping up. Another term that popped up was "Jeep Coat", only for the US military and only those same years before the notched collar came back.

Now to the sharp coat in the picture above, made in the UK (same handful of years but in the British brown wool instead of US khaki or olive drab).

So now to find a manufacturer....because the son says "That coat in the picture. Not a similar one. That one."

My successful searches include "mackinaw", "shawl collar", "jeep coat", "military coat", "WWII"", and the years.

Last edited:
On the subject of pea and trench coats, this is my go to for inclimate and/or cold weather when I need to wear a suit. It's the Marine Corps all weather coat that I was issued in boot camp which I never wore once in my entire time in the Marines., It looked ridiculous with cammies (and I could just wear our issue sweater underneath), and service dress As and dress blues were warm enough (in SoCal) to never need them. But I feel that it pairs well with a suit.

1695334684706.png

So far, I have found 3 or 4 major differences among tailors, in the area of sizing measurements. There is an incredible variation in the definitions (from where to where):

Shoulder
Shoulder to shoulder
Across shoulder
Across back
Half back

Sleeve length

Outseam
Outside leg
Outside Leg to floor
Pant (trouser) length

Men's chest
Across chest
Chest front
Chest girth
Across shoulder front

Several of these should be different as they are historically the names of sigificantly different and mutually exclusive measurements. However, recent experience has shown tailors around the world use their own definition for each, often with the terms intermingling.

If your tailor does not provide a how-to or specific and implicit instructions on each measurement, you can assume they assume you will assume their assumption. Good luck with that.

Late to the party on this one. I know we're mostly discussing suits. I don't really wear a ton of suits, outside of special occasions, so I find myself buying new ones during those rare times.

For the day to day, I keep it somewhat simple. I have a few pairs of jeans and khakis, a few pairs of boots and a pair of sneakers, some plain shirts and some simple button up shirts. With a few jackets/coats/sweaters thrown in, I can mix and match dozens of different outfits. Then if I have specific watches, glasses, or other accessories I want to wear (scarf if cold, hat if warm, etc), I can customize further. Something similar to this.

1cJounS.jpeg

tMKBWnc.jpeg

9GjIDj8.jpeg

Cqz2AM7.jpeg

I feel like the accessories can really upgrade a look. You can have a basic sneakers with jeans and a t-shirt, but if you have a nice pair of sunglasses and decent looking watch, it can look a lot nicer.

My favorite item to wear is a tan army jacket that looks something like this. Very comfy, but goes with a lot of different clothes I have.

9cd9d1dfa4a08714117a953f48639e3b--military-jackets-military-men.jpg

Late to the party on this one. I know we're mostly discussing suits. I don't really wear a ton of suits, outside of special occasions, so I find myself buying new ones during those rare times.

For the day to day, I keep it somewhat simple. I have a few pairs of jeans and khakis, a few pairs of boots and a pair of sneakers, some plain shirts and some simple button up shirts. With a few jackets/coats/sweaters thrown in, I can mix and match dozens of different outfits. Then if I have specific watches, glasses, or other accessories I want to wear (scarf if cold, hat if warm, etc), I can customize further. Something similar to this.

View attachment 1743277

View attachment 1743278

View attachment 1743279

View attachment 1743280

I feel like the accessories can really upgrade a look. You can have a basic sneakers with jeans and a t-shirt, but if you have a nice pair of sunglasses and decent looking watch, it can look a lot nicer.

My favorite item to wear is a tan army jacket that looks something like this. Very comfy, but goes with a lot of different clothes I have.

View attachment 1743282
Great system. I like it. My addition to the three final panels above is the optional Formal Jacket. It is the dressing up of dressing down. I love comfortable, worn and rugged with one added formal or semi formal item. Could be shoes, jacket, hat or other but it's like the alternative to the watch, glasses or jewelry. Not as easy to choose as a sharp watch but really sets the look in stone if done right.

Last edited:
Great system. I like it. My addition to the three final panels above is the optional Formal Jacket. It is the dressing up of dressing down. I love comfortable, worn and rugged with one added formal or semi formal item. Could be shoes, jacket, hat or other but it's like the alternative to the watch, glasses or jewelry. Not as easy to choose as a sharp watch but really sets the look in stone if done right.
You thinking something like this? Or more formal? This is a pretty flexible look. Khakis would make it look even more formal while still being pretty comfortable, but the jeans are neutral so you don't have to worry about color matching at all.

jdewHrH.jpeg

You thinking something like this? Or more formal? This is a pretty flexible look. Khakis would make it look even more formal while still being pretty comfortable, but the jeans are neutral so you don't have to worry about color matching at all.

View attachment 1743324
Definitely this. Even more eccentric will work but only in the right crowd. The one you show here is perfect. I love this look. Toss in the hat of choice and it makes it regional, as well.

So far, I have found 3 or 4 major differences among tailors, in the area of sizing measurements. There is an incredible variation in the definitions (from where to where):

Shoulder
Shoulder to shoulder
Across shoulder
Across back
Half back

Sleeve length

Outseam
Outside leg
Outside Leg to floor
Pant (trouser) length

Men's chest
Across chest
Chest front
Chest girth
Across shoulder front

Several of these should be different as they are historically the names of sigificantly different and mutually exclusive measurements. However, recent experience has shown tailors around the world use their own definition for each, often with the terms intermingling.

If your tailor does not provide a how-to or specific and implicit instructions on each measurement, you can assume they assume you will assume their assumption. Good luck with that.
Welcome to "The Wonderful World of Fashion Circuses":lol::lol::lol::oops::oops::oops::whistle::whistle::whistle:

View attachment 1743277

View attachment 1743278

View attachment 1743279

View attachment 1743280

View attachment 1743282
Of course! Accessories, accessories, accessories(y)(y) Love the combos; simple yet efficient and cool.;)

View attachment 1743324
"More formal" would be to switch from jeans to colored khakis matching the shirt or the jacket (color, not fabric of course)...and I would then change the color/pattern of your handkerchief to mimic your shirt closer (same dark or light blue);)

"More formal" would be to switch from jeans to colored khakis matching the shirt or the jacket (color, not fabric of course)...and I would then change the color/pattern of your handkerchief to mimic your shirt closer (same dark or light blue);)
Yeah. To be transparent, these images are just ones I found online that are for inspiration. My wardrobe was based off of images like these, which have been great to see different combos people use in a clean format. Like you said, using these as inspiration you can then take what you like and change what works best for you own style.

After getting my basic wardrobe down, I've had far more fun shopping for the accessories. You can get some really nice looking vintage watches online for a good price. The accessories are definitely where someone's personal style comes through.

I had a rare chance to go all black (a look great for movies but not so much for going to town) and got to use some of my costume gear. We were invited to sing at our town's Christmas Tree lighting event and were told "black pants, black coat/shirt or top, red scarves provided at the event". So John Wick/Neo meets Wyatt Earp and out the door I went. One of my wife's Latin class students asked for a selfie and then told his friends he got a selfie with Zorro. Never a dull moment.

20231126_211119.jpg

I had a nagging suspicion that I may have replicated one of Corey Feldman's talk show outfits. There is a fine line between wowwwww and wow.... but I still laughed at the Zorro comment, which was the first of two Zorro mentions this evening. One person called out the Wyatt hat, which isn't exact to the movie nor historical but obviously made the impression it was intended for.

I don't usually do ties BUT when I do.... I don't. So this undershirt showing through the unbuttoned dress shirt, with jacket, is my 80s go-to for one-more-layer step up from Miami Vice:

20231202_205404.jpg

I very much like this casual look because I can sport the majority of pieces but stray from intentionally business/prof. It also works very well with hats versus putting on the tie. With the same combination, tie, shirt, jacket, plus hat, would look bizarre.

O and K. Here is my new favorite oddity. I was messing around with the above non-tie look and added the tie back in. Admittedly, I like odd things but this one really works for my 80's sense of everything all at once and whatever works. The 80s were excessively experimental and tolerant of fashion and failures in fashion.

I first started with just draping a tie. I love it. It has numerous untie possibilities and screams 80's.

20231213_103903.jpg

I then realized that at a certain wrap angle it looks like a vest. So now I can have a vest of every tie color and pattern in existence, without the actual vest (while buttoned).

20231213_104023.jpg

And I still like the crazed casual look of just the tie worn poorly.

20231213_103938.jpg

O and K. Here is my new favorite oddity. I was messing around with the above non-tie look and added the tie back in. Admittedly, I like odd things but this one really works for my 80's sense of everything all at once and whatever works. The 80s were excessively experimental and tolerant of fashion and failures in fashion.

I first started with just draping a tie. I love it. It has numerous untie possibilities and screams 80's.

View attachment 1769512

I then realized that at a certain wrap angle it looks like a vest. So now I can have a vest of every tie color and pattern in existence, without the actual vest (while buttoned).

View attachment 1769511

And I still like the crazed casual look of just the tie worn poorly.

View attachment 1769513
Yeah that kinda works oddly enough.

The only fashion trend I ever tried to get going was turning the collar up on a suit jacket. It never took lol.

I used ties to make pocket kerchiefs before, but never did I used them to wrap them like you did. I think that the layered look is something
of a challenge; I would certainly put some kind of pin to hold them together.;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back