The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

Re: The Hobbit made viewers sick?!!!

I'm glad for the warning. I've gotten a headache from 3D and wasn't planning to see The Hobbit for the first time in 3D - now I'll skip the 48 fps too and just see it in the regular 2D...

Once I have enjoyed it, I'll try out the upgrades, just to see if I can hack it, but I don't want my first experience of the movie to be ruined.

I'm with ya there. The only movie I've seen in 3d was the re-release of A Nightmare Before Christmas. Needless to say it was my last. I'm too prone to migraines and dizzy spells for 3D.

Ok I lied, I tried Captain EO at Disneyworld last year...NEVER. AGAIN.

I'll be seeing it the old fashioned way. I think the other film rates are too distracting. I'd be ever-focused on how annoying the 3D and 48fps are and not paying attention to something I should be loving.

I'm with ya there. The only movie I've seen in 3d was the re-release of A Nightmare Before Christmas. Needless to say it was my last. I'm too prone to migraines and dizzy spells for 3D.

Ok I lied, I tried Captain EO at Disneyworld last year...NEVER. AGAIN.

I'll be seeing it the old fashioned way. I think the other film rates are too distracting. I'd be ever-focused on how annoying the 3D and 48fps are and not paying attention to something I should be loving.

For the record, you are basing your opinion of 3D on a post-conversion and an aging 70mm print. Neither are anywhere close to comparable to what stereoscopic can offer.

If you see The Hobbit in 2D and love it, I'd say give the stereo version a try.

For the record, you are basing your opinion of 3D on a post-conversion and an aging 70mm print. Neither are anywhere close to comparable to what stereoscopic can offer.

If you see The Hobbit in 2D and love it, I'd say give the stereo version a try.

Despite the film quality, it's still the fact that I can have equilibrium problems. Anyone who has a hard time getting dizzy, car sick, motion sick, suffering from migraines can tell you that 3D can really mess with your film experience.

Trust me, I wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D, but my body forbids me -_-.

I'm a bit concerned at it being a trilogy. The book sure doesn't warrant it. Or is he throwing in stuff from other Tolkien works too? We'd better see something of Smaug in this first one. Don't want to wait till 2014.

Maybe they'll do it Princess Bride style? We know there's the framing device of older Bilbo telling the story to Frodo, so maybe Frodo will interrupt him every so often to complain or ask questions or something. That would pad the story out too :lol

That is correct. The additional material is mostly from the appendices which chronologically do correspond to the time the Quest is going on. Pretty much the White Council and Dol Guldur bits. Not going to give away too much, but CelticRuins is hitting it pretty close to the mark. You know what, just go in with an open mind and see if you enjoy it, rather than wondering and trying to figure out if it will be faithful etc :)

He's throwing in a good bit of appendices stuff. Events that led up prior too and during the events of the Hobbit.

I'm sure they'll be ALOT of additions. There already is with the Stone Giants, as per the way Peter works.

There's a new TV Spot out that does, in fact, show a glimpse of Smaug flying over Erebor or Lake Town. I'm sure they'll be a prologue and flashback that Thorin and the dwarves give that shows a little more of Smaug and how he came to Erebor. I wouldn't be shocked to see a little more background on the history of dragons coming to Middle Earth. Would actually love a bit of that!

I'm a bit concerned at it being a trilogy. The book sure doesn't warrant it. Or is he throwing in stuff from other Tolkien works too? We'd better see something of Smaug in this first one. Don't want to wait till 2014.

Now THAT'S a hobbit! :lol

While it's true for many of us, we also expect largish feet. However, nowhere in his writings did Tolkien say hobbits' feet were any larger, proportionally speaking, than ours. And I seem to recall that he describes them at one point as looking rather like human children.

It's also worth recalling that the Rankin Bass Elven King looked more like a slightly less devolved Gollum than what we think of as elves, so there's that.

While it's true for many of us, we also expect largish feet. However, nowhere in his writings did Tolkien say hobbits' feet were any larger, proportionally speaking, than ours. And I seem to recall that he describes them at one point as looking rather like human children.

It's also worth recalling that the Rankin Bass Elven King looked more like a slightly less devolved Gollum than what we think of as elves, so there's that.

To be clear, I loathe the Rankin Bass stuff. Hate it worse than I hate the Bakshi stuff. Those things are deformed little homunculi. :lol

Thread title should read

"The Hobbit made spewers sick?!!!"

Pretty much. I can't imagine people who don't already have issues with things like imax and 3D will have a problem with 48fps. It's just a smoother picture and honestly kind of a gimmick to get tech bums in chairs despite the fact it's been around since the dawn of film.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back