The hobbit cast!

Interesting. Good choice overall. Dunno about the dwarves. I never found any of them (aside from Thorin and Bombur) to have any particularly distinct personality, although I really only remember the Rankin-Bass cartoon.

Who's voicing Smaug? And are they bringing back Andy Serkis as Gollum and Hugo Weaving as Elrond? And yeah. They HAVE to cast Sir Ian as Gandalf. He's Gandalf and Magneto. Get over it.

Too cool that you are in the thick of things!
ONE of these years the wife and I are going to make the trip and see all the filming locations we can. Damn expensive though, but once in a lifetime trip.

Hmmm, This movie is all over the news here, in the fact that it may be moved off-shore from New Zealand to the Uk (i think). Really causing a big stir here with Peter Jackson getting really annoyed & the unions, don't get me started lol!.
Weta has done tons of work already on props etc... & MataMata (the town where the hobbit houses are filmed, only 45mins from me) has the sets being built again.
Saw some awesome interview yesterday on a NZ news programme inside Weta's prop shop, some cooool stuff in there, drool.
Apparently we will know next Wednesday if the movie stays or goes off-shore. I really hope it's the former.
Stu

Aww man. Just watched that interview posted in the other thread. Never seen Jackson so worried, upset and desperate.

If he's acting, he deserves an Oscar for that too. Poor bugger looks and sounds absolutely at his wit's end.

Looking really bad for NZ right now. :cry

When I first read it, I read "Morgan Freeman as Bilbo"

I thought they were high whilst casting. lols.

Martin Freeman, However, is a fantastic choice.

When I first read it, I read "Morgan Freeman as Bilbo"

I thought they were high whilst casting. lols.

Martin Freeman, However, is a fantastic choice.

Its like that tshirt i saw printed a few years ago for the game Halflife that said somthing about Morgan freeman ,the character's name is Gordon freeman..)

Her character was NOT in the Hobbit. :confused
Not in the book itself, but I believe Gandalf related later in LOTR (or, perhaps in an appendix or other ancillary Tolkien-authored material) that when he captured Gollum he took him to Lorien (among other places).

I so can't wait for this movie to come out. I wonder how long it will take for the "rumored" actors such as McKellan and Mortensen to officially jump on board?

They're saying Orlando Bloom's coming back on board as well, though Legolas wasn't part of the book. I wonder how many of these non-Hobbit additions are for the second "bridge" movie that was discussed, which would be based on Tolkien's expanded writings. Does anyone know if they're still planning to shoot two movies rather than one?

Not in the book itself, but I believe Gandalf related later in LOTR (or, perhaps in an appendix or other ancillary Tolkien-authored material) that when he captured Gollum he took him to Lorien (among other places).

Hmm, come to think of it, that was long after The Hobbit. Well, Gandalf was often absent in the book, off conducting "business", which, as later told, concerned the Necromancer (Sauron) raising an orc army in Mirkwood. I could see Galadriel making the trip from Lothlorien for that.

They're saying Orlando Bloom's coming back on board as well, though Legolas wasn't part of the book.

The elvish army that is in 'The Battle of the Five Armies' are the elves of Mirkwood. Thranduil is the elvinking of Mirkwood who is also Legolas' father. Being such a grand battle, it would only make sense for the prince of Mirkwood to be present as well as the king.

So, to cast Bloom as Legolas for the Hobbit is a good choice as it ties the movies together with familiar characters (not to mention all the girls that will buy tickets now that Legolas is back), and despite his name not being mentioned in the book, doesn't mean that he would not have been present during the battle fighting along side his father. Not to mention all the other times the dwarfs meet up with the woodland elves before the battle...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back