The hobbit cast!

I don't understand why Jackson feels the need to add characters to the movie that aren't in the book. I can see having Orlando back for a small role, but not Blanchett. If the book is good enough to make a movie from why change it?

I think they know how awesome gandalf was in he trilogy and don't want to short him in the hobbit by only having him at the beginning and end.

I don't understand why Jackson feels the need to add characters to the movie that aren't in the book. I can see having Orlando back for a small role, but not Blanchett. If the book is good enough to make a movie from why change it?

What's good for a book isn't necessarily good for a film.

Two different beasts.

I just found out that Graham McTavish, who's been cast as Dwalin, is the lead in The Wicker Tree. I only became aware of this thanks to my girlfriend; as she was told by her grandfather, the director of The Wicker Tree, Robin Hardy.

He was great in Rambo, too.

So glad they didn't use Tobey Maguire, like it was speculated!

And Richard Armitage got the part of Thorin! He's also Guy of Gisborne in the Robin Hood serial from BBC (pretty much the only believable actor) so he should do it right... 'course I haven't imagined Thorin any other way except THIS:

Just so everyone can see them here and put faces to the names.

Bilbo Baggins
MV5BMjI2NTQ4MTg4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYyMjIwNA@@._V1._SY307_CR19,0,214,307_.jpg

Thorin
MV5BMTMxMjAwNDc5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI4NTA1Mg@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Beorn
MV5BOTg4Nzk5Njg0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY3MDc3Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR9,0,214,314_.jpg

Bofur
MV5BMTg2NTk3OTA1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg5NzY4Mw@@._V1._SY314_CR2,0,214,314_.jpg

Kili
MV5BMTg0MTA5ODg4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzkzNTgxNA@@._V1._SY253_CR118,0,214,253_.jpg

Dwalin
MV5BMTkzODk1OTk4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAxODU4Mw@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Fili
MV5BMTM2OTg3MTg2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTgyNjI2Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR16,0,214,314_.jpg

Nori
MV5BMTMxMzQzNzI5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM2ODEzMQ@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Bombur
MV5BMTM0NTQzMzMzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI1MDcxMw@@._V1._SY314_CR4,0,214,314_.jpg

Oin
MV5BMTY4Nzk4NDAyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkzODExNA@@._V1._SY314_CR11,0,214,314_.jpg

Bifur
MV5BMTgwNTUwMjkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc3MDIxNA@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Ori
MV5BMjE5NTM0NjU4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODgzMTYwNA@@._V1._SY314_CR18,0,214,314_.jpg

Why do people think Martin Freeman will make such a good Bilbo?

I like Richard Armitage though, it'll be interesting to see him as a dwarf!

Why do people think Martin Freeman will make such a good Bilbo?
I just saw the animated movie from 1977, and that Bilbo reminded me a great deal of Martin Freeman and the kind of roles that he has had in the past.

I am not very happy about Mikael Persbrant being cast as Beorn. A horrible actor, and as far as I know, a horrible person also.

Havent read the book, but isnt the other wizard in this story? The wizard that controls the animals or something like that

I am not very happy about Mikael Persbrant being cast as Beorn. A horrible actor, and as far as I know, a horrible person also.
He is not as bad as a person, I met him on a movie set that i worked on a few years ago and he is really a nice guy. Though at the moment i had only seen him in Beck as Gunvald larsson and thought he would be that evilish as his role character is.

and he is played by dr who star Sylvester McCoy

Last edited:
Havent read the book, but isnt the other wizard in this story? The wizard that controls the animals or something like that

Duuuuuude.
Read the books. NOW. Yes, simply get up and go to the library. YOU. MUST. READ. TOLKIEN.
While I could probably ramble on all day about the benefits of reading it all, and the horrible side effects of not, I'll stick to saying. READ THE HOBBIT, LOTR, SILMARILLION, CHILDREN OF HURIN, AND THROW IN LOST TALES.
(this is for your benefit btw)

Duuuuuude.
Read the books. NOW. Yes, simply get up and go to the library. YOU. MUST. READ. TOLKIEN.
While I could probably ramble on all day about the benefits of reading it all, and the horrible side effects of not, I'll stick to saying. READ THE HOBBIT, LOTR, SILMARILLION, CHILDREN OF HURIN, AND THROW IN LOST TALES.
(this is for your benefit btw)

QFT.

Word.

Indeed.

Yup.

Where is this interview with Peter?
Link?
Also, I think that after seeing Hitchhiker's Guide again last night I agree, Freeman is the penultimate Bilbo. I am really intrigued on how Smaug will be interpreted though. The Fell Beast was such a non-traditional flying creature and I am wondering if they are going to go the same way with him. Imagining the movie with a "fairy tale" style dragon just seems awkward and I think Weta will spin him in a new way. I also had the same Morgan Freeman reaction, very strange thoughts for about 30 seconds.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back