The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

...no that's not 1/72, Revell has its own something/Box scale... :facepalm

No, if this is a Revell then it's a low budget one cause Revell is likely to reissue the Fine Molds Falcon with a higher price tag. This one only $69 something dollars. It's only the old model with a new radar dish.

No, if this is a Revell then it's a low budget one cause Revell is likely to reissue the Fine Molds Falcon with a higher price tag. This one only $69 something dollars. It's only the old model with a new radar dish.

You can still pick up the OT one a good bit cheaper,.....its exactly the same except for the new dish and additional gear boxes,,....some say the TFA one has different sidewalls,...but I don't see it

The only good thing about the easikit is being able to strip it right back,......remove all the greeblies & customise it,....the plastic is really soft. The bad thing about the shape is,...like the MPC & FM,...its curvature is too flat.....which is why its sidewalls are too high,...but that can be fixed if you want to

.....or you could buy the Bandai kit,...smaller,...cheaper,......but way more accurate

J

The finemold reissue is currently on offer for $199 RRP $299 , what was the price when it came out

The finemold reissue is currently on offer for $199 RRP $299 , what was the price when it came out

Well going back to 2005 on Starship Modeller site:

By Jay Chladek - images & text © 2005
Scale: 1/72 - about 18"/457mm long when built
Parts: 900 (according to FineMolds, as I didn't bother to count them)
Instructions: 22 pages with 33 assembly steps laid out in booklet format, plus color decal placement guide and color pictures of studio model
Decals: Silk-screened waterslide, markings for the ESB version
Molding Quality: 10 - typical Japanese styrene parts quality
Detail: 10 - every greeblie faithfully represented
Accuracy: 8-10 - can only be built as the ESB or RotJ version out of the box, not as the one from ANH
MSRP: ¥19,000 JPY (~$161.16 USD/ 187.82 CAN/ € 136.22 EUR) (shipping will add $40-$60USD if bought from Japan), available from Starship Modeler

I ended up with 2 of the kits,....I bought one on eBay in 2006 for around £130,......the second one I bought in a model shop in Belfast for £100,....someone had traded it in,...the kit had been opened for inspection, but was perfect

It is a fantastic kit, but I think everyone has caught on to the imperfections,....its a real shame

Revell is sitting back all proud thinking they've got a winner.....& I'm sorry to say it again....but its really the wrong time to try & sell a model of the 32"......with a new movie starring the Falcon with a different dish & being the bigger 5 foot model with some added details......the same could be said about the DeAgostini model

We've seen the images of the concept TFA Falcon with the new dish which was made with the FM kit,.....which looked pretty good,..so it can be done,,.....not accurate to what we will see on screen, but a very detailed representation.....

....so,....big bucks for a Revell re-release & more expense for a 3d printed dish if you are wanting a big scale good quality Falcon

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Revell is sitting back all proud thinking they've got a winner.....

I really, really hope they crank out more of these than they can possibly sell and just completely oversaturate the market with them.
As imperfect as the Fm is, it's still miles ahead of the AMT/MPC/Ertl and I WANT ONE.
It's high time the AMT/MPC/Ertl went the way of the dodo.

I ended up with 2 of the kits,....I bought one on eBay in 2006 for around £130,......the second one I bought in a model shop in Belfast for £100,....someone had traded it in,...the kit had been opened for inspection, but was perfect
I have two of these as well, though the part count is insane and both copies have the same molding sinkholes in the hull. Will Revell's Fine Molds re-pops have pre-colored parts?

I have two of these as well, though the part count is insane and both copies have the same molding sinkholes in the hull. Will Revell's Fine Molds re-pops have pre-colored parts?

I don't think so, Revell have said that FM have lost the licence for Star Wars so they will be selling the kits for them in a repackaged box,.....thats maybe why the extra price,....FM sells to Revell, then Revell adds their involvement,....it should be hitting the shelves pretty soon

J

You can still pick up the OT one a good bit cheaper,.....its exactly the same except for the new dish and additional gear boxes,,....some say the TFA one has different sidewalls,...but I don't see it

The only good thing about the easikit is being able to strip it right back,......remove all the greeblies & customise it,....the plastic is really soft. The bad thing about the shape is,...like the MPC & FM,...its curvature is too flat.....which is why its sidewalls are too high,...but that can be fixed if you want to

.....or you could buy the Bandai kit,...smaller,...cheaper,......but way more accurate

J

My Revell Falcon project: https://www.facebook.com/james.marg...33203230765.1073741837.100005922638623&type=3
I started this before Bandai got the SW licence. Many of the problems can be fixed, and I've gone too far with it to quit now, but it will never be fully accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks. That means a lot coming from a master falconer.
There is more to do, but I've learnt a lot from the project so far (I was mostly a computer modeller before this).

Hey I'm no master,....just a nut,...ha

James I hope you don't mind me posting your images here for all those not on 'friendface'

10888828_336433286564090_6876043102843032122_n.jpg

1797413_336433236564095_6343307928187028450_n.jpg

10422015_336433233230762_4990611270226519023_n.jpg

10891837_336433279897424_1583179528790727006_n.jpg

11255537_391272011080217_3070129784044771662_n.jpg

11745825_420549858152432_5449188561395295087_n.jpg

11794590_420550018152416_4038081818515584177_o.jpg

11933406_433659276841490_1323850611585995408_n.jpg

11953413_435797226627695_3298802121135411673_o.jpg

Cant wait to see more

J

so in the past couple days, I've got a wild hair up my ass and I've started designing a printable TFA falcon from my photomatches........ why am I doing this to myself? I guess I can't help it.

It won't be a complete object, more like a custom kit of greebles that someone could order from shapeways in installments, and glue to a body they'd have to make themselves. I'll also be designing a set of files for lasercutting various panels and maybe even flat parts that could be assembled into the base body. I'll be starting a thread with renders soon.

to design the body, I adapted vfxsup64's incredible base for the 5' falcon to fit the TFA CG asset. It's virtually identical, but the mandibles seem slightly closer together, and the engine deck's shape is a little different, a little simpler.

So this printable project I'm working on would be basically for a 5' TFA falcon... which is NUTS. just for fun I printed out a plan view of my model at 1:1 scale after scaling it down to 5'. It was so much bigger than I had pictured. Like the size of a medium dinner table. So I'll probably scale this project down to maybe a 3-footer or something...

wish me luck... I'm gonna need it.

so in the past couple days, I've got a wild hair up my ass and I've started designing a printable TFA falcon from my photomatches........ why am I doing this to myself? I guess I can't help it.

It won't be a complete object, more like a custom kit of greebles that someone could order from shapeways in installments, and glue to a body they'd have to make themselves. I'll also be designing a set of files for lasercutting various panels and maybe even flat parts that could be assembled into the base body. I'll be starting a thread with renders soon.

to design the body, I adapted vfxsup64's incredible base for the 5' falcon to fit the TFA CG asset. It's virtually identical, but the mandibles seem slightly closer together, and the engine deck's shape is a little different, a little simpler.

So this printable project I'm working on would be basically for a 5' TFA falcon... which is NUTS. just for fun I printed out a plan view of my model at 1:1 scale after scaling it down to 5'. It was so much bigger than I had pictured. Like the size of a medium dinner table. So I'll probably scale this project down to maybe a 3-footer or something...

wish me luck... I'm gonna need it.

Brilliant Stinson,....I would love OT sidewalls for the Bandai,....I've got another one on the way, I've ordered Tony's dish & base from Shapeways....

I'd like to put right the TFA Falcon with the correct portside details

John

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back